Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 143216 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2022, 10:51:51 AM »
In the very few times I've read Duggan's take on Gambit, he's actually been entertaining and fun. I did get a Han Solo vibe in his characterisation (maybe because of the space opera setting). The Gambit/Destiny b***hy mother-in-law interaction was too similar to Mystique, it would've been better to have tried something a little different. I know Duggen likes banter and quips, and that's fine but an alternative approach would've been better. The Rogue/Destiny reunion was a little cold too.

While he does tend to portray him as a "joke character" at times, there are far worse writers out there that have written him. I was actually surprised that he had more panel time than Rogue in a book where she is a main cast member. I actually liked the issue overall, and Gambit was the best part of it.

With all this. I was too annoyed that Destiny was Mystique 2.0 and without any history with Gambit whatsoever. I did find it interesting that Destiny is trying to separate Rogue from the X-Men and plans to have Gambit there... And said it out loud with no push back from either. The idea was interesting but the means was weird like Duggan didn't know how to get it in more naturally. It felt more like inner dialogue more than something to be said. Especially taking into account the way the rest of the conversation went.

Duggan's last two uses of Gambit haven't been as bad as he usually is. So there's that. I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit and some of the things in it, like referring to Gambit as an assassin, took more than a passing knowledge of the character. Most people wouldn't have a clue. So at least he read a wiki somewhere down the line.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2022, 11:44:19 AM »
i took destiny's referring to gambit as an 'assassin' as a dig on his role in the mutant massacre. she's just tarring him with the same brush as the rest of the marauders.

duggan and howard's writing is very shallow, just an interpretation of the characters so they're more caricatures. i find their stories to be very boring. i just think: ugh, i don't even LIKE any of these characters anymore. to make up for lack of characterization, duggan imparts sitcom humor and howard teases innuendo about queer relationships. xtwitter eats that sh!t up.

also this orchis thing is boring too. all of these people are interchangeable. i actually thought dr stasis and feilong were the same guy until someone on cbr detailed why each orchis character is so very boring and stupid. who can tell all these evil megalomaniacal scientists (EMS) apart anymore? then that OTHER EMS shows up, the adversary? what's his name again? evolutionary, that's it. actually, who CARES i bored myself trying to figure it out.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2022, 12:20:41 PM »
i took destiny's referring to gambit as an 'assassin' as a dig on his role in the mutant massacre. she's just tarring him with the same brush as the rest of the marauders.

duggan and howard's writing is very shallow, just an interpretation of the characters so they're more caricatures. i find their stories to be very boring. i just think: ugh, i don't even LIKE any of these characters anymore. to make up for lack of characterization, duggan imparts sitcom humor and howard teases innuendo about queer relationships. xtwitter eats that sh!t up.

also this orchis thing is boring too. all of these people are interchangeable. i actually thought dr stasis and feilong were the same guy until someone on cbr detailed why each orchis character is so very boring and stupid. who can tell all these evil megalomaniacal scientists (EMS) apart anymore? then that OTHER EMS shows up, the adversary? what's his name again? evolutionary, that's it. actually, who CARES i bored myself trying to figure it out.

Here I was giving the man some credit and it was probably giving him too much. Yeah, I thought Feilong and Dr. Stasis were the same person here as well. I knew they were two different characters - but here I just thought they were the same guy from the "helmet" design and overall presentation. There's literally no difference between them by way of personality... or current day Mr. Sinister, to be honest. That ironic, flat, 90s/ early 00s sitcom, insert laugh track humor. Don't get me wrong - that's some of my all-time favorite shows... but it doesn't work in comics as a blanket approach. Every book cant be this.

When Duggan started this run I thought all these bad guys were separate people with their own plans and machinations - I wasn't expecting them to be Legion of Doom. It doesn't really feel... organic? Speaking of Stasis... whats the difference between him and the High Evolutionary? And MODOK in the X-Men comics... its not really a good fit. The X-men have so many characters and such a back catalog of enemies - did we need to borrow an Iron Man baddie? Or allow all these writers to create new characters? They literally have access to just about any mutant in all of creation - even the dead and evil ones, because, you know, everyone just gets along now for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:25:24 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2022, 01:55:53 PM »
To buy or not to buy, that is the question. I'm thinking not so much and if I do, it will be digital. Not spending for a 35-40 drive/gas included with not wanting to go to a LCS.
I know ComiXology has been complaining about but when I buy CC's mini, it will be from there.
LOL

NicoPony

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »
To buy or not to buy, that is the question. I'm thinking not so much and if I do, it will be digital. Not spending for a 35-40 drive/gas included with not wanting to go to a LCS.
I know ComiXology has been complaining about but when I buy CC's mini, it will be from there.
LOL

all my digital comics are on comixology.  :-[ 

i bought this week's issue of xmen 9 on the marvel.com app. it seems to work the same as comixology used to. i would prefer my entire library in one place, but what're ya gonna do?

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2022, 01:26:19 PM »
LOL
Or you can subscribe to the print issues through Marvel.

Cover Price: $19.95
 -25% off
Final price $14.99

$15 for five issues mailed free to your house. I usually get mine about a week after they are in stores but since they ship from New York you might get them sooner.

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/store/ipd.asp?spid=1443

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2022, 06:16:01 PM »
Good idea, thanks. That is an option and yes, living in NY would probably get them within a day or two.  ;D

NicoPony

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2022, 03:56:21 PM »
KNIGHTS OF X #3. Gambit and his team gain a momentary victory over the Furies in Crooked Market, but as the group is hit by another wave of attacks by Merlyn’s army, Rachel Summers’ connection with Captain Britain is severed before she can call in reinforcements. In Sevalith, the Captain and her team face off against blood thirsty vampires as they seek out a lethal potential ally. Their quest required ten knights to begin, but no one said anything about the end. A knight dies here – and the hateful quest goes on.
[/size]
https://aiptcomics.com/2022/03/11/marvel-june-2022-destiny-of-x-x-men/

Gambit on the cover. I give it sus eyes.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2022, 07:30:47 PM »
So this is completely random but I saw this on Reddit-the op said it is photo of a beer in Australia, lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/tc35rf/found_this_guy_on_a_random_australian_beer/

NicoPony

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2022, 09:07:11 PM »
Wow lookin like some kinda infringement there, but it’s the wild Wild West over in Australia.

Too bad I hate IPAs. Bitter and tastes like soap, should be more of a Magneto style beer.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »

Lol, it’s even more blatant in the description (though I don’t think whoever wrote it knows French. ;) )
Disney would probably have a case for f they sick their lawyers on them, but then the world would lose funky, adventure -time style gambit, tragic. :p
Wow lookin like some kinda infringement there, but it’s the wild Wild West over in Australia.

Too bad I hate IPAs. Bitter and tastes like soap, should be more of a Magneto style beer.
Magneto style beer, lol

NicoPony

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2022, 08:12:00 AM »

GAMBIT #2 (OF 5)CHRIS CLAREMONT (W) • SID KOTIAN (A) • Cover by WHILCE PORTACIO
GAMBIT AND 'RO – ON THE LAM AND OFF THE RAILS!
'RO is the mutant X-Man Storm, reverted to childhood and trying to retain use of her powers while fighting to find her memories. GAMBIT is the free spirit Remy LeBeau, not yet an X-Man and making his way up and down the Mississippi. What do they have in common? They're mutants, they're thieves, and they're having a blast!But their side mission to escape the SHADOW KING goes off the rails when sudden disaster strikes, and the duo find themselves in the midst of local trouble with 'Ro's life — and very essence — in the balance. Can Gambit find the heroic path before it's too late? Featuring old favorites as well as new friends and enemies!32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

There will also be a variant by Dauterman, but no full image yet.
HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
He did tease this:

But it looks like Gambit's classic gloves and for whatever reason, he is standing in front of a mountain range.

Remy in NOLA, another variant for #1:

And then Rogue is channeling her moms in this Gala look. Mystique rocked the feathers last year and there's a literal inferno burning behind her. Don't know what to think about that mourning wreath in the mantlepiece either.

Will Gambit have a complementary outfit that looks just as SINISTER? If he shows up in a skirt, I might die.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:29:29 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »

Oh wait, one more. Gambit appears on the cover of A MARVEL EVENTTM which by law, requires him not to actually appear in the inner workings of the book AT ALL. Noto's directions were to: Make sure it looks "X-Men-y" enough that people will pick up the title. Noto: So, slap Wolverine and Gambit on it?

I do like the logo. Modern art deco. Looks cool.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
Someone on CBR brought up that Dauterman is only confirmed to be drawing the hellfire variant for Gambit #2, but that it could be anyone, because variant covers aren’t confined to logical things like who is in the book. Sigh.. they are correct, it could be a Emma cover.