Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 150566 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »

Someone on CBR brought up that Dauterman is only confirmed to be drawing the hellfire variant for Gambit #2, but that it could be anyone, because variant covers aren’t confined to logical things like who is in the book. Sigh.. they are correct, it could be a Emma cover.

lol, you are too right. but luckily there is a list that tells the book, the artist, and who they've drawn for the cover. and if emma showed up on gambit's book, i might have to start a fire and burn krakoa to the ground. so far they've got forge, cyke, emma, jean, iron man, cap'ns 'murcia and marvel, scarlet witch, rogue, synch.

havok better show up in his goblin queen gimp suit. i'm already bummed that forge wasn't rocking shorty shorts, but jean was. boooo.

On Sale 6/1
SHANG-CHI #13 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by CHRIS BACHALO – Namor
X-FORCE #29 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by MIGUEL MERCADO – Forge
X-MEN #12 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by INHYUK LEE – Cyclops

On Sale 6/8
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #5 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Spider-Man
BLACK PANTHER #7 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by ERICA D’URSO – Captain Marvel
FANTASTIC FOUR #45 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Doctor Doom

On Sale 6/15
IRON MAN #21 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by IBAN COELLO – Iron Man
MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #39 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Black Widow
MOON KNIGHT #12 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Scarlet Witch
WOLVERINE #22 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Wolverine

On Sale 6/22
AVENGERS #57 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by CARMEN CARNERO – Captain America
CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #2 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by MATEUS MANHANINI – Captain America
GAMBIT #2 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Gambit
HULK #8 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – She-Hulk
KNIGHTS OF X #3 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by MAHMUD ASRAR – Rogue
MARAUDERS #4 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Synch
X-MEN RED #4 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by JEN BARTEL – Jean Grey
On Sale 6/29
IMMORTAL X-MEN #4 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by MEGHAN HETRICK – Emma Frost
LEGION OF X #3 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Havok
NEW MUTANTS #27 HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVER by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN – Magik

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2022, 01:15:34 AM »
Ooooh….hope rising again.. this is such a rollercoaster of emotions! (I agree about Emma, lol enough already!)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:02:14 PM by anya »

NicoPony

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2022, 12:50:44 PM »
This has basically nothing to do with anything but there was a mention of the cancelled Gambit movie on the podcast Newcomers and omg Nicole Byer auditioned for a part in that movie! Aw, it would have been so funny!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/05kq6pk5gTJ3QFWjLTOiWZ?si=8N30OLehRomf6BjomrU97g

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »
This has basically nothing to do with anything but there was a mention of the cancelled Gambit movie on the podcast Newcomers and omg Nicole Byer auditioned for a part in that movie! Aw, it would have been so funny!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/05kq6pk5gTJ3QFWjLTOiWZ?si=8N30OLehRomf6BjomrU97g

Aww, that sucks--she's funny, I like her on the podcasts she's been on.

While I wasn't happy with the possibility of CT playing Remy, the outline looked intriguing, hitting all my buttons--Gambit in a romantic comedy heist that's also a period piece? Yes please!
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
The period piece was the aspect I liked the least. I was done with the prequels and wanted the movies to move back to the ‘modern day’.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2022, 11:55:38 PM »
The period piece was the aspect I liked the least. I was done with the prequels and wanted the movies to move back to the ‘modern day’.

Understandable. And as much as I like the period aspect, I will say putting Gambit in the '50s--'70s does feel...off.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
agreed. Period pieces can be rough, you've got to do research.

Offline GambitMojo

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2022, 03:32:42 AM »
Is it bad of ne that Remy
Looks like Michael Jackson
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/70/622a29ba212bf/clean.jpg
edit: to make the link more pronounced.
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/8/70/622a29ba212bf/clean.jpg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 12:37:32 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2022, 10:14:15 PM »
Ok, let’s see if this works: https://www.marvel.com/amp/articles/comics/russell-dauterman-reveals-x-men-hellfire-gala-designs-2022

Here is the Russell Dauterman gambit hellfire gala design. I think I do like it better than last years,  ut I’m. It sure if it will still look good if anyone else was casing it, lol. And marvel.com has another ‘hint’ that he might get killed off in KoX *sigh and eye roll* hoping for a red herring.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2022, 01:36:54 PM »
Understandable. And as much as I like the period aspect, I will say putting Gambit in the '50s--'70s does feel...off.
I think the period elements were handled pretty well in the script. For me, the only issue is with how Gambit would then be brought into the present Fox timeline. Or were they planning on doing that at all?

(Tangent alert!) Honestly, that script was so fun that I can see why Fox wasn't willing to let the movie go. And of course it was. Gambit is a fun character. I literally don't understand why some people are convinced he can't carry a movie or a D+ series. In fact, I would argue that he is one of the few X-men who has an interesting enough life outside of the team to warrant a spin-off. My only explanation for that is they know nothing about the character. Sorry, I have been on some comic forums lately and keep having this conversation with people. It annoys me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 01:40:11 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2022, 10:36:08 AM »

If we're talking about the aborted movie, it took place firmly in the mid-80s. Of course, because it was an origin movie, some parts had to have taken place in the 70s - even if just a flashback or montage. But it basically happened RIGHT AFTER X-Men: Apocalypse, because it referenced some of the fallout of that movie.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »
I never liked FOX's obsession with putting X-Men stories in past decades. All it does is screw up timelines and hinder what characters can be used when and where. First Class screwed up the entire X-men timeline and lineup and the monotony just continued from there.

NicoPony

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »
do timelines matter? the passage of time in comic book universes make zero sense, just go with it. now we have multiverses, so all reason is out the window. the second any plotline introduces time-travel or parallel universes, all my brain hears is White Noise until its over. the worst comic book movies are the ones that take themselves too seriously. god. the first two Thor movies, like what was that? all the Phase One stuff was completely devoid of humanity/personality until guardians and thor: raganork/randomork (sp?). then we get brotherhood, friendship, empathy, love and actual humor.

gambit in the 1970s and 80s? yes. give me that. give me that all over my body.

lots of peeps love shirting on channing tatum's effort for gambit, but ryan reynold's deadpool was also an act of effort, love and passion for a little known character and it was fantastic. the only franchise to transition from fox to disney. people liked it. MY MOM liked it.

they're all a bunch of people with personal trauma running around in skintight clothing. if they're not a little campy/weird, the earnestness of their performance is embarrassing to me. embrace with weird and forget about timeline. let the timeframe be just kind of a vibe/aura rather than an actual point in time. i am personally living in the victorian period. i'm very pale, uptight, and like long dresses.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »
I think you're misunderstanding me. The timeline is a problem when your characters don't age in 40 years. The timeline is an issue when James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are supposed to turn into Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan in less than 10 years. The timeline is an issue when you establish Gambit as a grown adult in the 80's and all the characters he has a rapport with are adults in the 21st century. You wind up having characters with 20 years between their ages who are peers in the comics. It just makes a cluttered mess of characters. I'm not being a stickler here. I want the characters to make sense with one another. Call me nuts. I also don't like the idea of introducing multi-verses so that's not an excuse for me.

You think Captain America was devoid of humanity and personality? Might want to watch that one again.

I've always loved Tatum's passion for Gambit. It was great to see. Doesn't mean I liked the idea of sticking Gambit in a decade by himself with little other X-Men characters to bounce off of or teenage X-Men that he is mostly older than. And Deadpool was not a little known character when the Deadpool movie came out. He was probably the most hyped up Marvel character at the time.

Sorry I'm not just giving studios passes for making nonsensical timelines where characters have decades in age gaps where they wind up ruining their interpersonal relationships. That's  one of the strongest elements in the X-Men and I don't see the need to destroy that aspect because they want to make a 70's, 80's, or 90's nostalgia movie. It's lazy abd to the detriment of the characters and I believe the X-Men have some of the best characters in the history of comic books.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:23:36 PM by wantutosigh »

NicoPony

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »
i wasn't specifically contradicting you, and i don't disagree with your statements. it was just a general "wondering out loud" kind of rant. ;)  maybe i'm still reeling from hickman's writing telling me that ALL of x-men history took place in the last 10 years and that they are all 26.

i liked the first cap'n america, but that was because it was a period piece in the 40s...!

were people outside of comic readers aware of deadpool? i was an active reader at the time and i only had a general idea that he existed and could tell you nothing other than he was hyper-violent.

anyway, you can still have a feeling of retro/nostalgia without specifically calling out that something took place in the 70s, 80s. like in The Mask, where he's wearing a 40s zoot suit but people still have computers.