Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 117852 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »
He needs to feel unworthy while being one of the X-Men's most reliable BECAUSE of that reason.

I love this particular insight.The solicit for Gambit #5 is out with a cover preview. It says August but I think #1 is delayed til July.  >:(  From the solicits it sounds more like a series of 5 different adventures.

GAMBIT #4 (OF 5) CHRIS CLAREMONT (W) • SID KOTIAN (A)Cover by WHILCE PORTACIOREMY AND RO’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!• Riverboat heists! Interdimensional battles! And an OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD concert with headliner LILA CHENEY!• But headhunters from beyond the stars threaten to disrupt the festivities, and their actions will change the course of GAMBIT and RO’s destinies forever!• All this and BOUNTY strikes

July
GAMBIT #3 (OF 5)CHRIS CLAREMONT (W) • SID KOTIAN (A)Cover by WHILCE PORTACIOVariant Cover by MIRKA ANDOLFOREMY'S RUSE AND WARHAWK'S RETURN!• The problem? GAMBIT and 'RO have become a thorn in the side of mogul SOLARZ…• The solution? The mercenary WARHAWK takes the fight to our heroes!• The rebuttal? Remy gears up in his NEW suit, MARISSA DECASTRO dons the classic armor, and 'Ro joins them for a knock-down, drag-out fight along the Mississippi!

Gambit #2

GAMBIT AND 'RO - ON THE LAM AND OFF THE RAILS! 'RO is the mutant X-Man Storm, reverted to childhood and trying to retain use of her powers while fighting to find her memories. GAMBIT is the free spirit Remy LeBeau, not yet an X-Man and making his way up and down the Mississippi. What do they have in common? They're mutants, they're thieves, and they're having a blast! But their side mission to escape the SHADOW KING goes off the rails when sudden disaster strikes, and the duo find themselves in the midst of local trouble with 'Ro's life - and very essence - in the balance. Can Gambit find the heroic path before it's too late? Featuring old favorites as well as new friends and enemies!

GAMBIT #1 (OF 5) CHRIS CLAREMONT (W) • SID KOTIAN (A) • Cover by WHILCE PORTACIOVARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKOVIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKOVARIANT COVER BY SALVADOR LARROCAVARIANT COVER BY INHYUK LEEVARIANT COVER BY SCOTT WILLIAMSAll-NEW ADVENTURES OF THE LEGENDARY THIEF BY CO-CREATOR CHRIS CLAREMONT!You think you know all there is to know about Remy LeBeau, the Ragin' Cajun, the mutant known as GAMBIT — but legendary X-scribe Chris Claremont has an ace up his sleeve with this new series! Before he joined the X-MEN, Gambit encountered a mysterious girl named 'RO — the mutant STORM regressed to her child self by the nefarious NANNY — and the two went up against the forces of the SHADOW KING! Now, revealed for the first time, Gambit finds his path to becoming the heroic X-Man millions of fans call their favorite! Joined by rising star artist Sid Kotian, Chris weaves a story of action, intrigue and revenge that made Gambit the mutant he is and forged his relationship with Storm. You'll get a charge out of this one, mon ami!32 PGS./Rated T+…$3.99

Edit: got rid of some tags - DPT
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:32:08 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2022, 11:22:48 AM »
hairlesscat how have you not changed your avatar to sinister's cat yet?

your reminisces of FabNic have made me nostalgic.

totally agree with your guys' points. though, be prepared, if gambit is intro'd as a thief in the mcu, he's gonna get caught. they are probably not going to show him on his best day when all goes smoothly and he gets away scott free.

i'm trying to think back on the other mcu movies... tony is a playboy warmonger jerk who becomes a hero. cap starts off noble nerd and becomes a hero. thor is a self-absorbed turd who comes around and becomes a hero. strange, same. turd-to-hero tale. lang and peter are both screw-ups, but not bad, who kind of inadvertently become heroes. gambit needs a new angle from all that. the extremely reluctant hero, maybe. like: i really really want to be having sex and stealing things, but FINE i guess i'll go save the world. geez. someone pour me a drink.
Sinister has a cat? Anyone have pics? TEACH ME YOUR WAYS! Honestly, I've kind of tuned out the comics since Gambit's last ongoing was canceled. Not a fan of most of these more modern X-writers. :(

Also, I love reminiscing about Gambit's badass adventures from his first ongoing. It really showed that he could hold his own without even involving the X-Men.

NicoPony

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2022, 04:34:17 PM »

Mister Sinister's Cat. He eats Scott Summers' eyeballs and seems to share DNA with Sinister and Cyke. He's so ugly, he's cute.

NicoPony

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2022, 10:21:28 AM »
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/lea-seydoux-opens-up-on-infamously-abandoned-x-men-spinoff-gambit/

It's the story of the Gambit movie that will never go away. Belle's casting. And a cool fanart poster someone made for the movie.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/05/lea-seydoux-interview-crimes-of-the-future-1234728901/

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2022, 06:02:58 PM »
Oooh! That is some slick fanart. I LOVE it! Still prefer the "Man of Steal" tagline though.

Weird confession time: Way back before the Gambit movie was even announced, I always pictured then little-known actress Amber Heard playing Bella Donna Boudreaux. She always struck me as beautiful, but with a ruthless/crazy streak in her eyes. I thought she was perfect.

Obviously not gonna happen now (with all the unfortunate scandal and drama destroying both her career and Johnny Depp's). But funny to think about nonetheless.

Thanks for the cat pic too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:06:45 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2022, 08:05:15 PM »
Lea Seydoux would've been way better. She has an interesting look and style about her. Amber Heard is plain Jane and not a very good actress.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2022, 08:16:07 PM »
Okay, come on now. You may not like Amber Heard - and I'm not fond of her myself - but saying she is plain is crazy IMO. The woman is classically beautiful. Do you really believe that the average Caucasian woman looks like Amber Heard? If so, where do you live? I wanna move there and see what the guys are like!

Personally, I think Lea Seydoux has a potato face. She's only pretty in airbrushed pictures. Never understood the fuss. But maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 08:27:58 PM by hairlesscat »

NicoPony

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2022, 09:00:58 PM »
I imagined Belle as a combo of a younger Kristen Chenoweth and Kristen Bell.

But, confession: almost all attractive white women look exactly the same to me so just dye their hair blond. I honestly think everyone is just Anne Hathaway in a wig.

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2022, 06:04:25 PM »
Joe Quesada .... years too late. He screwed Gambit hard core. And he did not care about female fans, I know this due to a dismissive email sent to me. 

He cancelled the first ongoing due to "too many books".  While we've had some good books, KT and TH are awful (IMO). There is no fixing until somebody actually gives a crap about the character and more than a love interest. IMO
Good. He should have been gone a long time ago. All he cared about was Cyke.

https://www.ign.com/articles/joe-quesada-retires-marvel-comics-editor

NicoPony

« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2022, 08:06:08 PM »
Joe Quesada .... years too late. He screwed Gambit hard core. And he did not care about female fans, I know this due to a dismissive email sent to me. 

He cancelled the first ongoing due to "too many books".  While we've had some good books, KT and TH are awful (IMO). There is no fixing until somebody actually gives a crap about the character and more than a love interest. IMO
Good. He should have been gone a long time ago. All he cared about was Cyke.

https://www.ign.com/articles/joe-quesada-retires-marvel-comics-editor

so long, joey q. don't let the door hit 'cha where the good lord split 'ya.

i wonder who will step into his role? someone from within or will they get some fresh blood?

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
So I read the newest Knight of X. What exactly is his tarot cards doing? Seems like they do the same thing. Also do they automatically reload or does he have to go pick them up when he's done? ;D

NicoPony

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »
Don’t mean to send you to a different message board, but there’s a poster on cbr who goes into long and most times insightful posts who went on a very long tangent about what the tarot cards do.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?155985-The-King-of-Thieves-Gambit-Appreciation-2022/page51

It’s “magic” I guess? Howard does one semi-interesting thing with Gambit, but sadly no one actually knows what that thing is.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the link. I gotta say I agree with a later post there is a lot of assuming that we should know this off-hand. I like the idea behind it, it's just kind of hard to follow.

As an aside I was amused with Gambit bringing junk food to sell for extra cash. Now I want to see a version of Gambit who was picked up by Xavier as a teenager to attend his school, because he would be the kid that snuck candy in to sell as a side hustle.

NicoPony

« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2022, 02:21:41 PM »
i'm confused why a professional thief who can afford a penthouse apartment in tribeca and lives in a state-sponsored paradise where everything is free wants to sell pop-tarts to elves for extra cash. is kellogg's sponsoring him to break into a new market or something? is he using black market candy bar imports as a front to win the hearts and minds of otherword citizens thru transfats? this book raises more questions than produces answers. like: who are these people? why are they here? what is going on? is this the real life? is this just fantasy?

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »
i'm confused why a professional thief who can afford a penthouse apartment in tribeca and lives in a state-sponsored paradise where everything is free wants to sell pop-tarts to elves for extra cash. is kellogg's sponsoring him to break into a new market or something? is he using black market candy bar imports as a front to win the hearts and minds of otherword citizens thru transfats? this book raises more questions than produces answers. like: who are these people? why are they here? what is going on? is this the real life? is this just fantasy?

I'm assuming they are using a different currency. It might also be a bit of an Isekai trope. There are many Light Novels, manga, and anime that focus on going to another world while still having some sort of access to the original world, and it's a common theme for them to make a lot of money off of selling cheap junk food due to their novelty in the alternate world.