Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 117444 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2022, 07:39:24 AM »

That's a joke... Right?

I crack myself up.

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2022, 02:40:00 PM »
I'll be wearing my Gambit socks to the funeral. For a pair of your own...

https://rockemsocks.com/collections/x-men

edit for link via the mod. LOL
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 04:55:24 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Chizlett

• Wanderer
  • Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2022, 07:56:05 PM »
I was not prepared for this issue, and now I'm paranoid for the brand new Gambit.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2022, 03:43:08 PM »

Don't you bring Remydat into this. He's busy enjoying his kid. No need to sully that... My concern isn't Gambit's death... It's that when mutants die in Otherworld, when they are brought back - they are different. Sometimes drastically. Most often mentally and psychologically completely different... Have you seen Rockslide lately? Or Gorgon?

I didn't know Remydat had a kid - Congrats to him and family.

No, I haven't seen Rockslide or Gorgon. I've been MIA for a long time despite keeping this place rolling.
At least its 'Otherworld', not sure what it means but  ... I'm alright being clueless.
With his death, does it mean his marriage is over?

Don't forget the spoilers for a week, unless this isn't really new. LOL

Firstly, congrats to Remydat, that's wonderful news to hear.
About the spoiler post...
That's my concern too, it's not the death that worries me, (what I've read of the death scene tells me there's much more to play out)...it's what happens afterwards and who writes it. But I think they are trying to fix the Otherworld resurrections in the upcoming stories, and there are a few avenues for Gambit to be restored again, there are theories about the Siege Perilous, the Death persona etc.

Yes had a daughter back in March so 3 months now.  Haven't been around much but figured Gambit was dying soon.  All I can say is thank God and hopefully he stays dead.  Comic book Gambit is dead to me.  My only hope is he shows up in a Marvel TV series as it is clear comic book writers have no love for him.

Also, how long do we figure before Rogue is screwing someone else?  I would bet she waits until the funeral at least.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:46:20 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »
I was not prepared for this issue, and now I'm paranoid for the brand new Gambit.

If he was going to stay dead, Id be more at ease... my concern is that these hacks will be able to mold him - with all this Death-talk I'm scared they will resurrect what most consider to be Gambit's worst state. Seeing what they did to Rockslide and Gorgon - both of whom also died in Otherworld - I'm not confident.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2022, 11:47:32 AM »
Seems fitting that the current most terrible X-Writer should directly reference the last most terrible X-Writer of all time. Like matching bookends, she brought back the whiny, annoying, incompetent Rogue-obsessed Gambit from days of yore.

Rumor has it this trainwreck finally derails at #5. I pray Howard finds work elsewhere, writing D&D manuals or something she will enjoy and might be good at. And that whatever Gambit comes back as, it’s under someone else’s pen. Because having this other Death personality Gambit has been repressing come out of hiding could be interesting, but not if Howard is in charge. And maybe explain why he’s had no spine, personality or spark for so long, if he’s shutting down all the thoughts/feelings that make him less desirable to Rogue.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2022, 08:44:50 PM »

Unless Howard was just trolling, I have to believe Gambit jad a plan for his supposed Death. So I think it will be less the Rockslide situation and more a transformation that he himself initiated by using that card. Of course, I accept that she might in fact just be trolling and have no intent of delivering on that. Almost best not to completely rule out incomeptence when it comes to Marvel and Gambit.

admin edit for font and size tags no needed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:41:26 AM by Nekobaghira »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2022, 11:20:58 AM »
Howard is so clueless when it comes to Gambit. Marvel allows it to continue which is ridiculous.

LOL - I agree Remydat on the not rule out incompetence by Marvel.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2022, 07:51:05 PM »

Totally understandable.

Is a deaf person getting a cochlear implant ableist? If a mother chooses to correct her fetus’ deformity in utero, is that ableist?

I’ve understood the general lack of wheelchair access, and other things able-bodied people take for granted to be ‘ableist.’ Discriminating against people on the autism spectrum or with different intellectual abilities is ableist. Correcting a physical impairment isnt being ableist. I think the author is really reaching here. She just wanted to have Karma with a metal leg bc it looked good with her pink cotton candy gown she wore at the last Gala and she’s covering it up with some nonsense virtue signaling. Forge must feel similarly, but having mechanical bits actually makes sense for his powers. Of course he’d want to make improvements and modifications just because he can. Like Don said, don’t make no sense for Karma.

There are people, entire groups actually, that have existed in the in the Deaf and Blind communities(as well as other 'disabled' groups) for a long time that are completely opposed to things like the Cochlear Implant and other such devices and procedures. They view being Deaf or Blind as analogous to being Gay or Black etc. They have their own communities and cultures and they view anything that could 'treat' or 'cure' as an attack on their community and culture, even a threat to their very existence.
...ah @&$&.
:coolsmiley:

Also, how long do we figure before Rogue is screwing someone else?  I would bet she waits until the funeral at least.
One thing is for certain, she can't have sex on his grave as that would be Scott/Emma brand infringement. GraveSex > KarmaLeg.

NicoPony

« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »
There are people, entire groups actually, that have existed in the in the Deaf and Blind communities(as well as other 'disabled' groups) for a long time that are completely opposed to things like the Cochlear Implant and other such devices and procedures. They view being Deaf or Blind as analogous to being Gay or Black etc. They have their own communities and cultures and they view anything that could 'treat' or 'cure' as an attack on their community and culture, even a threat to their very existence.

Several of my family members have cognitive/intellectual differences. I don’t know if they’d want to be ‘cured’ either.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2022, 04:00:16 PM »
I’m gonna stand by my original statement, any of those guys ever break leg, arm, whatever, don’t get a cast, show what a good, non-ableist person you are…

Anyway…as far as, KoX…if it were almost any other writer, I’d the Death stuff was definitely foreshadowing something and the death persona was going to come in play. But, but with Howard, I don’t know, she’s just not very good at this stuff… You’d think editorial would step in, but they allowed some terrible stories tp get through, and I guess they thought the writers enthusiasm would pull it off? I don’t know how these things work.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2022, 09:57:18 AM »

Several of my family members have cognitive/intellectual differences. I don’t know if they’d want to be ‘cured’ either.

I think there's a difference in being born one way and having pride in it and "my leg was cut off by an evil #-#&$ with knife fingers. I died and now I have to go out of my way to make sure when I come back, I'm still missing said appendage". I'm not mocking the sentiment, it's the writing. There were better ways than what they came up with because what they did felt more Stockholm syndrome.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2022, 10:03:00 AM »
I’m gonna stand by my original statement, any of those guys ever break leg, arm, whatever, don’t get a cast, show what a good, non-ableist person you are…

Anyway…as far as, KoX…if it were almost any other writer, I’d the Death stuff was definitely foreshadowing something and the death persona was going to come in play. But, but with Howard, I don’t know, she’s just not very good at this stuff… You’d think editorial would step in, but they allowed some terrible stories tp get through, and I guess they thought the writers enthusiasm would pull it off? I don’t know how these things work.

You're 100% correct..the editors are supposed to be the gatekeepers but I fear the culture in Marvel, especially in the X-office is to let the creators create for the most part. Probably some interoffice political and social stuff mixed in there as well. It seems as if people either don't know what a less than stellar idea looks like or are too scared to call it out. Not saying all runs are perfect and without blemish but X-Men in the past 10-8 years has been more  miss than hit. They seemed to be on a very interesting track with Hickman but it stalled in 1st gear, left this on the side of the road and he bought a new car.

NicoPony

« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2022, 03:16:22 PM »

You're 100% correct..the editors are supposed to be the gatekeepers but I fear the culture in Marvel, especially in the X-office is to let the creators create for the most part. Probably some interoffice political and social stuff mixed in there as well. It seems as if people either don't know what a less than stellar idea looks like or are too scared to call it out. Not saying all runs are perfect and without blemish but X-Men in the past 10-8 years has been more  miss than hit. They seemed to be on a very interesting track with Hickman but it stalled in 1st gear, left this on the side of the road and he bought a new car.

it's all a learning process. i suppose we should all try for grace when people make an effort, because it's not going to be right the first time. we are all on our first pancake. sometimes you gotta throw it out just to get started, and try again. i do think anya has a point about writers getting preachy and sanctimonious. no one likes to be lectured and you don't win people to your way of thinking by trying to shame them. same with calling writers out on their crap. do we all remember the dark days of calling Carey out about the rogneto disaster? yeah, dark times. people went OFF on him and it didn't make him change his mind, he just dug in his heels more.

new topic: will gambit come back absent of a personality as was rockslide, mordred and whatever the other guy was? (for some reason i think his name is 'gorgon' but that doesn't make sense bc isn't a gorgon a female figure of greek mythology? medusa is a gorgon, right?)

hoping the sassy shirtless and smirking gambit of the gala-outfit is the resurrected version. i don't need some boring whitewashed goodie two shoes gambit.

NicoPony

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »

"New casting calls for an ‘Untitled Marvel Studios Show’ might hint at Gambit & his adoptive parents making their debut in the MCU."

https://twitter.com/XMenUpdate/status/1544405288350015488?s=20&t=FtBClH3mswt9_v005iE0CA