Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 8666 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2022, 01:01:39 PM »
I saw this issue as being more about Gambit as mentor rather than Storm as mentee.  Gambit is the one controlling the action and preparing Storm for what's next in her life.  Not so much as a story of her growth but moreso a story about his ability to mentor Storm.  Aside from Shadow King which we knew the other guest stars in this know Gambit not Storm as does the likely guest stars next issue.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »
I really appreciate Sid Kotian's attention to detail on Jim Lee's initial design of Gambit's uniform. The purple stripes being on his right leg only. The upside down "diamonds" on his knee pads looking more like chevrons. And the shape/size of his chest plate-it dips into a narrow "u" shape that extends well below his chest.

Most of the artists post Jim Lee changed or missed those details entirely.

He really studied those first few issues Gambit appears in and it shows. Don't often see that level of diligence.
The only other artist I can think of that ever picked up on these sort of nuances was Lee Weeks in the 1st Gambit series from 1993.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:20:56 PM by killphil »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2022, 11:57:35 AM »
Still waiting on Gambit #1 to be delivered to me! >:(

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
I decided on digital via Amazon/Comixology that I read through Kindle. While I would like a physical hard copy, not in the mood to drive the LCS.  :D
The fact I've purchased a comic after quitting for so long ... is something.

And I enjoyed issue #1.

edit:IMO - CC may cater to Storm, but he gets (understands) Gambit more than KT or TH ever did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:26:04 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2022, 06:11:55 PM »
Gambit #1 finally arrived and I read it. And umm... It's ok. At least Gambit resembles his older self where he's confident and in control of the situation. I didn't really understand the little girl gang scene. I mean I get the message/lesson for Storm but in general I thought it was odd. This was mostly about Storm's journey with little purpose for Gambit other than "mentor". A bit disappointing considering the title of the book. Hopefully that changes and Gambit winds up having a much meatier role in his own book. Not loving the artwork and "Ro" constantly looks like an angry Garbage Pail kid. Especially don't like the artwork on her. Hoping for not only good action sequences from Gambit but some solid character moments as well going forward.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:14:56 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Student
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2022, 08:22:46 PM »
Claremont is using his characters he wrote in other series that nobody else used. I think the point here is a reminder that Gambit had connections to other people than just the Thieves Guild. But yeah if you see something like that I suggest googling the character or group because we aren't gonna know who they are unless you read like everything CC wrote in the past.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #291 on: Yesterday at 10:03:56 PM »
So only 4 of us have read Gambit #1? I would have thought there would be more posts after the release of the first issue. Maybe others don't have much to say about it?

Offline NicoPony

• Throwing fangirl tantrums since July 25, 2012.
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Gumbo, Do Do, and Go Go
« Reply #292 on: Today at 07:48:33 AM »
I’ve read it and well….what’s to say? I agree with your assessment: it’s ok.

I’m glad it’s getting favorable reviews on various comic sites. That’s a positive.

Claremont isn’t interested in writing, talking or promoting this book. His lack of enthusiasm is evident in this serviceable story. Likewise, I’m having a hard time caring. The art is okay. I don’t mind that Storm looks like a little gremlin.

I guess the rando appearance of the girl gang is to show is to establish Gambit’s various connections, and to show he’s going to let Storm fight her own battles while he casually chit-chats with high-ponytail lady.

Does not add to or detract from the characters or background story. It is a thing that exists.

Offline Icefanatic

• Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #293 on: Today at 09:13:11 AM »
I thought it was good. What's the expression, nothing to write home about?

Gambit was in character, which was great but I expected that with CC writing him. I enjoyed watching him alternate between teaching, testing and protecting Storm. Each of those scenes highlighted his knowledge and capabilities. You can see how this Gambit would be a good fit at a school teaching young mutants and not just as a member of the X-Men.

Sabine and the Bacchae provide a nice parallel with Remy and Ro and decent minor foils for the first issue, with the threat of Bounty and the Shadow King looming for future issues.

It speaks volumes that I enjoyed this more than any of the X-Books I have read in awhile and it would have been a standard-type of issue for the 90's.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #294 on: Today at 09:58:01 PM »
Compared to other books with Gambit in them, this one wasn't horrible. Was it fantastic, no but it wasn't awful.