Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 117283 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2022, 01:01:39 PM »
I saw this issue as being more about Gambit as mentor rather than Storm as mentee.  Gambit is the one controlling the action and preparing Storm for what's next in her life.  Not so much as a story of her growth but moreso a story about his ability to mentor Storm.  Aside from Shadow King which we knew the other guest stars in this know Gambit not Storm as does the likely guest stars next issue.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »
I really appreciate Sid Kotian's attention to detail on Jim Lee's initial design of Gambit's uniform. The purple stripes being on his right leg only. The upside down "diamonds" on his knee pads looking more like chevrons. And the shape/size of his chest plate-it dips into a narrow "u" shape that extends well below his chest.

Most of the artists post Jim Lee changed or missed those details entirely.

He really studied those first few issues Gambit appears in and it shows. Don't often see that level of diligence.
The only other artist I can think of that ever picked up on these sort of nuances was Lee Weeks in the 1st Gambit series from 1993.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:20:56 PM by killphil »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2022, 11:57:35 AM »
Still waiting on Gambit #1 to be delivered to me! >:(

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
I decided on digital via Amazon/Comixology that I read through Kindle. While I would like a physical hard copy, not in the mood to drive the LCS.  :D
The fact I've purchased a comic after quitting for so long ... is something.

And I enjoyed issue #1.

edit:IMO - CC may cater to Storm, but he gets (understands) Gambit more than KT or TH ever did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:26:04 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2022, 06:11:55 PM »
Gambit #1 finally arrived and I read it. And umm... It's ok. At least Gambit resembles his older self where he's confident and in control of the situation. I didn't really understand the little girl gang scene. I mean I get the message/lesson for Storm but in general I thought it was odd. This was mostly about Storm's journey with little purpose for Gambit other than "mentor". A bit disappointing considering the title of the book. Hopefully that changes and Gambit winds up having a much meatier role in his own book. Not loving the artwork and "Ro" constantly looks like an angry Garbage Pail kid. Especially don't like the artwork on her. Hoping for not only good action sequences from Gambit but some solid character moments as well going forward.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:14:56 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2022, 08:22:46 PM »
Claremont is using his characters he wrote in other series that nobody else used. I think the point here is a reminder that Gambit had connections to other people than just the Thieves Guild. But yeah if you see something like that I suggest googling the character or group because we aren't gonna know who they are unless you read like everything CC wrote in the past.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2022, 10:03:56 PM »
So only 4 of us have read Gambit #1? I would have thought there would be more posts after the release of the first issue. Maybe others don't have much to say about it?

NicoPony

« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2022, 07:48:33 AM »
I’ve read it and well….what’s to say? I agree with your assessment: it’s ok.

I’m glad it’s getting favorable reviews on various comic sites. That’s a positive.

Claremont isn’t interested in writing, talking or promoting this book. His lack of enthusiasm is evident in this serviceable story. Likewise, I’m having a hard time caring. The art is okay. I don’t mind that Storm looks like a little gremlin.

I guess the rando appearance of the girl gang is to show is to establish Gambit’s various connections, and to show he’s going to let Storm fight her own battles while he casually chit-chats with high-ponytail lady.

Does not add to or detract from the characters or background story. It is a thing that exists.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2022, 09:13:11 AM »
I thought it was good. What's the expression, nothing to write home about?

Gambit was in character, which was great but I expected that with CC writing him. I enjoyed watching him alternate between teaching, testing and protecting Storm. Each of those scenes highlighted his knowledge and capabilities. You can see how this Gambit would be a good fit at a school teaching young mutants and not just as a member of the X-Men.

Sabine and the Bacchae provide a nice parallel with Remy and Ro and decent minor foils for the first issue, with the threat of Bounty and the Shadow King looming for future issues.

It speaks volumes that I enjoyed this more than any of the X-Books I have read in awhile and it would have been a standard-type of issue for the 90's.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2022, 09:58:01 PM »
Compared to other books with Gambit in them, this one wasn't horrible. Was it fantastic, no but it wasn't awful.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2022, 12:11:55 PM »
So if you aren't up to date on the latest event, a character looking suspiciously like Rachel popped up on a panel doing absolutely nothing other than serving as more confusion on what's going on with Knights of X. First we had Gambit on panel when he should have been dead in Eve of Judgement, and then we got Rachel here. Both were doing nothing other than occupying panel space. If that's all they are going to do just don't use them as characters in your events when their fates aren't even concluded in their current story. They already denied us Gambit and the other knights in the Hellfire event, why use them like this? Editors just don't work anymore, huh?

NicoPony

« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2022, 07:46:17 PM »
We’re looking at “best case” scenario: Gambit is revived by end of KOX, no harm no foul. The whole incident forgotten, no one mentions it ever again bc Betsy is just that much more interesting. TH ramps up for Excalibur 3.0. More of the same.

Worst case: still dead, gambit’s death becomes a plot point, and TH will still be at the helm of Excalibur 3.0 to irrefutably destroy this character.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2022, 08:29:43 PM »
Well assuming Howard will get Gambit again (we've seen nothing suggesting otherwise) you can argue the opposite. Worst case scenario: Gambit comes back to do absolutely nothing (like Rogue), or show up to look ridiculous. Best case scenario: he's either still dead or revived as Death and now the new antagonist in Otherworld, and he does not need to be involved in this stupid event looking at useless as the rest of the X-Men. We can pretend in our minds that if Gambit was around he would team up with Shaw or Bishop to wreck a Hex or two.

NicoPony

« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2022, 07:49:23 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately I think being ignored to do nothing is best case for so long as TH is writing. Rogue was on a flagship book doing nothing, getting to speak whole coherent sentences, flying planes, kissing Jean, wearing nice outfits, and came off none the worse for wear. Gambit is a joke in a 3rd tier book, dies due to his own incompetence fighting a D-list villain, and then the author goes on her blog to gloat about killing him off.

I don’t know what’s going on with the event. I thought the response was positive…? Are the x-men being made bad guys again? I just saw they were fighting giant monsters (again). Like, where is Godzilla when you need him, this is more his shtick.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »
They are fighting giant Eternals and losing badly because apparently only Exodus has the fire power to take one out and he needs to sacrifice himself to take it out. Btw both of them revive before the end of the issue. The part everybody liked is they revived the Celestial in New York while trying to establish a personality in it that does what they want. That Celestial immediately orders the Eternals to stop attacking (right before they nearly destroy Krakoa) and then announces to the world all of you suck, so you get 24 hours to justify why I shouldn't just purge you all.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:51:46 AM by Zoks »