Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 117798 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »
Aaaaaaannnd this is when I found out that my LCBS didn't give me my issue of Gambit #2 last time I visited...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
I sadly read KoX #5. I always think it’s not going to be as bad as everyone says it is. No. It’s worse. Betsy editorializes the entire plot, tells Rachel how to use her own powers, calls Gambit a b@st@rd and that she’s going to “get him home to his wife where he belongs.” But it’s coming from a bad@ss woman so that’s not condescending AND sexist at all. Interesting how she opens with Misogynist Merlyn who “hates all the women”, you know, for reasons. Lucky we have Betsy to show all the men who’s the BOSS. TH has written Betsy as a self-absorbed, self-satisfied, take no criticism, always proven right, invincible, know-it-all. And now she has a girlfriend!

Rockslide and Shiro’s appearances were completely random and seemingly irrelevant to the plot. With any other writer, I’d say it was foreshadowing. Maybe they were shoe-horned in there to set up another writer to take over Excalibur and bring these two on board.

Cleanse the pallet by re-reading Gambit 2.

Santos and Shiro are there because the castle is Gambit's psyche. They aren't actually there.  Gambit being a "bastard" isn't sexist, because the term is gender neutral. Historically it's worse for males to be bastards because it usually meant no inheritance, and that didn't matter for women because they weren't getting s*** anyways regardless of their legitimacy. But yeah it's actually offensive because he's an adopted kid.

I'm not nitpicking about how Howard got to her ending since she didn't ruin the character, but yeah as many of us were saying it could have been worse. None of us were saying it was great unless you only care about Romy. I'm more interested in what he was doing as Death and seeing if he keeps any of that power up.  If we want him in other active books he'll need a power up because frankly Cyclops is more useful than him, and he's there to be the tactical leader.

NicoPony

« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »

Aaaaaaannnd this is when I found out that my LCBS didn't give me my issue of Gambit #2 last time I visited...

Gambit being a "bastard" isn't sexist, because the term is gender neutral.

I wasn't referring to the term 'bastard.' If the author had written the hero of the story telling Rogue or Jean or Bei: "Go home to your husband" XTwitter would've burnt to the ground.  >:D

Santos and Shiro's appearances were seemingly random to me. They weren't literally there, they were both in Gambit's head. Does he spend a lot of time thinking about either one of these people? I don't recall any recent interactions that would have them loom so large in his psyche. Maybe they go to his poker games.

It'd be great if he grappled with this Death persona. Hope the next author does something with it. Fingers crossed for Sins of Sinister. But that's not until after CHRISTMAS!! Seven Swans a'Swimming for Sinister.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »

I wasn't referring to the term 'bastard.' If the author had written the hero of the story telling Rogue or Jean or Bei: "Go home to your husband" XTwitter would've burnt to the ground.  >:D

[/font]

Oh my bad, yeah that was bad but nobody on twitter cares about Gambit.  If they do he'd be cancelled for some of the things he did in the 90s.

Santos and Shiro's appearances were seemingly random to me. They weren't literally there, they were both in Gambit's head. Does he spend a lot of time thinking about either one of these people? I don't recall any recent interactions that would have them loom so large in his psyche. Maybe they go to his poker games.

It'd be great if he grappled with this Death persona. Hope the next author does something with it. Fingers crossed for Sins of Sinister. But that's not until after CHRISTMAS!! Seven Swans a'Swimming for Sinister. [/font]
The Santos thing was just how everybody feels about dying in Otherworld. Everybody knows he came back wrong, that Santos appearing was Gambit's fear of coming back wrong.  Gambit specifically knows this because there was a whole thing after Sword of X where they were worried about Betsy coming back wrong if she was dead.  Shiro? That was Howard mistake.  Remember when Shiro "burned away" Apocalypse's influence on him (Before they broke into the X-Mansion to try to snatch Polaris so she can join them as Horsemen but not working for Apocalypse).  It was a wrong callback to a bad era of Gambit writing. She thought Shiro stopped him from being Death, when it just removed the Apocalypse leanings he had.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
For those that don't romy, not a selling point. LOL
Will agree calling Gambit a bastard was not needed storywise and to boost another character. Why is practically every Marvel character an (o) to Gambit. (rhetorical)-It's horrendous.

I not only don't care about TH's writing, she's guaranteed I'll never read anything she writes. Those who like her stuff, good on you. :)

I do hope Gambit keeps the power up but this is TH and editorial pulling strings.
I didn't bother with a 'floppy' for Gambit #2, digital for me. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:22:52 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2022, 08:46:52 AM »
Sounds like someone got their Gambit question answered right off the bat!

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/09/12/x-men-monday-171-x-m-a-jordan-d-white/

Noice! Congrats ‘Vit.  ;)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »

Thanks, my friend:)
Hah, I saw a chance on twitter and decided to remind White with my question that Gambit sells good and fans need more solo stories. Top 20 for a twice delayed mini set in the past with unknown artist (Kotian`s art is awesome) is a very good result. Also it outsold knight of x and went to 2nd printing. I hope White, Cebulski and others will see problem and change it but don`t expect it, really.
White answer about Gambit`s roles in events sounded like excuses. Answer about Guilds is fine. Mostly only Gambit fans like them. Good writer can change this.

Thank you, everyone, for supporting Ukraine and thanks to your government for supporting with weapons. Armed Forces of Ukraine started a huge and successful counteroffensive operation in recent days and saved a lot of our people and territory from occupation.
Ukrainians will always remember your support.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 12:49:29 PM by purplevit »

Offline red joseph

• Horseman
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2022, 04:19:00 AM »
Agreed, his answer around events makes no sense. The random array of characters they can squeeze into events and Gambit can’t be featured, when’s the last time he had any sort of role, messiah complex 15 years ago?

Nice they push him for solo books, but I want him in x men books with half decent roles how I originally started to read him with.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2022, 02:44:01 PM »

I don't like the idea of dodging his "thieves guild stuff". It bogs Gambit down, but it works as the center focus for Blackcat, Spider-Man, and the Scarlet Spider arcs? I think they don't like the idea of Gambit being more important than they think he should be in their rediculous X-Men 92' view of him. To these clowns, Gambit's just a kleptomaniac-klutz that happens to help sell comics when he's on the cover.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2022, 08:05:09 PM »

The Santos thing was just how everybody feels about dying in Otherworld. Everybody knows he came back wrong, that Santos appearing was Gambit's fear of coming back wrong.  Gambit specifically knows this because there was a whole thing after Sword of X where they were worried about Betsy coming back wrong if she was dead.  Shiro? That was Howard mistake.  Remember when Shiro "burned away" Apocalypse's influence on him (Before they broke into the X-Mansion to try to snatch Polaris so she can join them as Horsemen but not working for Apocalypse).  It was a wrong callback to a bad era of Gambit writing. She thought Shiro stopped him from being Death, when it just removed the Apocalypse leanings he had.

Yeah the Wrongslide and Shiro appearances were the only things that made sense.  Wrongslide as a manifestation of Gambit's fear he would be changed when he came back and Shiro because he was there the last time Gambit went thru a transformation as Death.  Even if the reference was wrong, Shiro being there still made sense to me and was a nice call back to their time together as horseman.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2022, 03:20:53 PM »
HOMAGE VARIANT COVER BY JIM RUGG  to X-TREME X-MEN #2 (OF 5)

Cool to see Gambit in Iceman's place.

NicoPony

« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2022, 08:32:56 AM »
Lol I tried to post that cover but I have the hardest time figuring out how to post images on this site so I just gave up.

Gambit previews!
https://aiptcomics.com/2022/09/23/marvel-preview-gambit-3/

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #342 on: September 24, 2022, 09:29:27 AM »
I find doing attachments easiest. I've tried copy and paste without some-what success - worked this time, I'll remove the attachment. But here it is ...

Marvel Preview: Gambit #3
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:34:19 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
Lol I tried to post that cover but I have the hardest time figuring out how to post images on this site so I just gave up.
Assuming browser and device functionality...
Right-click an image and select 'copy image link'. Click on the 'insert image' button shown here and paste the link into the popup. Click okay!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2022, 08:21:48 AM »
I liked Gambit 3.

My favorite part was how Remy just took a gun and shot Marissa into the chest instead of a long monologue about how his armor works. Claremont's explanation about colors and armors works great.

After years of bad writing, I was ready that Gambit would need to be saved or help from Marissa or Ro to defeat Warhawk. No, Claremont delivered. I loved that Gambit had his agility and h2h skills and kicked Warhawks` ass so that he could do nothing.
For me, this issue shows how Gambit 12 by Asmus should have been written. Remy should have defeated Tombstone in a fight alone.

So only 2 issues left and the last story in this mini. I hope it will be as good.