Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 154425 times)

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #360 on: October 09, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »
the art seens like Vanilla to me...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #361 on: October 09, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »
I just can't care. I'm so done with her over-shadowing Gambit. IMO.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #362 on: October 09, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »
Another lady who probably knows nothing about Gambit writing him. Another title where Rogue's name comes first. I also think that cover looks awful. Something weird about it.

NicoPony

« Reply #363 on: October 09, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
The proportions are wrong, they have tiny t-Rex arms. Luckily the cover artist is not the interior artist. Carlos Gomez, the interior art, is doing X-Terminators now, will do R&G. So expect big ol’ tiddies and thicc @sses. I’m sure the five-to-ten variants will be much nicer.

Not gonna judge it just bc the author is female and has an education. One, she’s a fan of G’s. TH was not. TH had an agenda to push, not a story to tell, and the characters were just there serving to soapbox her dissertation on gender identity in the workplace or whatever. Two, hoping having written Harley means she has a sense of humor. Three, as a teacher she should able to form coherent sentences, something that’s been lacking in Excalibur.

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »
Pretty much goes without saying that it’ll be Rogue-centric but I hope this means the end of Gambit as village idiot. Why would you have a smart powerful woman paired with a total moron? I am hopeful because she is a Parks and Rec fan, Leslie and Ben are my absolute favorite fictional couple. Sexy Smart Funny Romance, please!

Ah, nice!  I am a huge Parks and Rec fan and big Leslie and Ben fan too!(Leslie makes my top 10 favorite characters list).  I am super hopeful about this series, and I am always willing to give a writer I am unfamiliar with a shot.  I really hope she likes both Gambit and Rogue and that their interactions with Destiny(and hopefully Mystique) are fun!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #365 on: October 09, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »
I don't care that the writer is female. And I never watched Parks and Rec. (I'm so over the comedy type TV show - sitcom.) On the other hand, it means some comedic timing which could be great. :) Worked for Asmus (he is a stand up comedian as well as writer.)

The only reason there is an issue of gender is so far ... Gambit has been screwed over by the 'fair' sex in the writing department.We're in the 20+ issue department of Gambit being nothing but a mop.

The Harley Quinn on resume probably helps some what. Being a teacher will probably help.

As long as there is no 'agenda' and stick to story telling, it might be worth it. If Rogue hogs the entire thing, I just won't buy it. I'll wait for those here to tell me. Otherwise, I'm out.

My apologies if I'm a Debbie Downer but I don't trust Marvel to do right by the main man. But for the rest here, here's hoping it doesn't stink or heavy handed in one direction or another. :)

Ohhh, on the plus side ... Gambit's isn't going to die. That was the worry with Excalibur or is it a AU?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:21:30 PM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2022, 08:31:26 AM »
One female writer wrote G poorly. But TBF, she wrote ALL the characters poorly.

Honestly, the absolute relief I feel now that I know Gambit is free from Otherworld is palpable.

A character I am unfamiliar with, Manifold, is on the cover. Anyone wanna give me the low down on what this dude is all about? Has he ever interacted with G&R before?

If Destiny is involved, it might finally mean G&R play a more significant role in the current titles. I am so looking forward to a fresh take on the characters that isn't "But Remy, mah powers!" or "Gambit must fight for his place in the Guild - AGAIN!" bc that horse has been beaten, turned into glue, repasted onto another horse and beaten again.

G did die in Otherworld, went thru the Siege Perilous, and everything hand-waved away with the explanation of "It's Magic!" and all is well. Not an AU but easily ignorable.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
One female writer wrote G poorly. But TBF, she wrote ALL the characters poorly.

Honestly, the absolute relief I feel now that I know Gambit is free from Otherworld is palpable.

G did die in Otherworld, went thru the Siege Perilous, and everything hand-waved away with the explanation of "It's Magic!" and all is well. Not an AU but easily ignorable.
I'm not debating you. We all have a different view, I literally stopped buying comic books because of KT's interpretation. TH just made things worse.

I get that some fans think KT did a good job. But all she did was write Rogue and Gambit was a prop. One of the villains was tailor made for Rogue. I don't care that KT wanted to get through their baggage. Apologies too late, not enough focus equally.

And no pass given for her complete animosity toward Asmus. Once that crap is out there, it is. Her apology wasn't good enough and again too late. (People still hate me over HS and there is no going back and that was in 2010 or something.)

There we go - You have to like Rogue for giving a pass on KT. TH - she's a different type of issue, all she cares about is her agenda, doesn't know a thing about Gambit.

I know everyone has their own pov on these things. All subjective as it were but for me TWO female writers were not good at handling Gambit. What a way to get me to dislike Rogue even more. Give her back to Morrison and Magneto so I don't have to deal with Rogue.

**Thanks for the update on Otherworld. Since I don't buy comic books and the only one I am buying is written by CC, hard to keep up. :) And I'll probably delete this post.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:05:30 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2022, 12:45:45 PM »
I'd be shocked if this "person" didn't just mostly focus on Rogue and actually did a good job with Remy's character. Shocked. You all know the way these things go now-a-days. And I like Rogue but if both of their names are in the title I want them both to have focus in the story. But we shall see.

And I'm sorry but "Gambit & Rogue rolls off the tongue way better then "Rogue & Gambit.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »
I'd be shocked if this "person" didn't just mostly focus on Rogue and actually did a good job with Remy's character. Shocked. You all know the way these things go now-a-days. And I like Rogue but if both of their names are in the title I want them both to have focus in the story. But we shall see.

And I'm sorry but "Gambit & Rogue rolls off the tongue way better then "Rogue & Gambit
Agreed with all of this, especially the stuff I put in bold.

TBH, Rogue needs to take the backseat for awhile. IMO

NicoPony

« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
I’m pretty much over the comic-gatey attitude and language. I bid you all adieu.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2022, 01:55:25 PM »
Apologies to all if I've offended anyone enough to leave.

However, its things like this that makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 04:11:14 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2022, 07:01:05 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would be offended Neko. Seems like a perfectly legitimate conversation we're all having. With some slightly differing viewpoints which is no big deal.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2022, 11:55:50 PM »
Can't imagine why anyone would be offended Neko. Seems like a perfectly legitimate conversation we're all having. With some slightly differing viewpoints which is no big deal.
Thanks. :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2022, 02:47:51 PM »
Not gonna judge it just bc the author is female and has an education.

I thought a Ph.D. was a good thing?  ???

A character I am unfamiliar with, Manifold, is on the cover. Anyone wanna give me the low down on what this dude is all about? Has he ever interacted with G&R before?

Manifold is a mutant that can fold space and open portals to anywhere in the known universe. He started out in Avengers during Hickman's run. He's Australian with ties to Gateway (like all Aussie do, apparently). He didn't interact much with the X-Men, much less with Gambit and Rogue, before SWORD, written by Al Ewing. He quit the "team" right before or after it became X-Men Red. Have no idea what he or Deathstrike will have to do with the pairing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:50:58 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony