Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 144971 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2022, 09:15:32 PM »
Apologies to all if I've offended anyone enough to leave.

However, its things like this that makes me wonder.

It's not exactly making me sprint to the store to change my pull either. At this point it's just lackluster cover from a group of people that like to ridicule and maim anything that remotely reminds them of the 90s or could take attention from their overexposed insert characters.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2022, 10:27:05 PM »
Ok, don't think it is fair to say Gambit will be written as a prop.  More likely he will be the damsel in distress that Rogue has to save.  It seems these days that Rogue and Gambit have done a bit of a gender role swap where the story is focused on Rogue and Gambit is just there to push her story along whether that means he needs saving, chastising or fridging.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2022, 12:44:47 AM »
Gambit 4 is amazing. That is it.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »
Best Remy in years.  Classic Gambit where he sacrifices himself early to win in the end.  Almost as if a writer knows what a gambit is.

admin edit: removed formatting issue, made the comment larger and
increased font size. (it was tiny)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:33:05 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
1st issue was meh to me, but these last 3 REALLY ride out. I'm digging it. Also the artist is having a lot of fun drawing Marissa.

Got some not great news. I hear the new Rogue & Gambit writer isn't the best superhero comic writer but her GRIM series is supposed to be really good... But it's not a superhero-thing.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2022, 10:57:33 PM »
On the plus side, the cover artist isn’t going to be the interior artist. The artist is Carlos Gomez, whose currently doing the X-terminators mini. So more ‘cartoon-y’ art, but better art…

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2022, 04:29:23 AM »
Carlos Gomez is a really good artist for Rogue & Gambit. Especially if you're looking for sexy content.
I haven't had the chance to read the Gambit mini yet, we all know Claremont does him justice in any book. I might as well wait for #5 to come out so I can binge read it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #382 on: October 17, 2022, 04:38:59 AM »
Carlos Gomez is a very good artist.
This mini is a half of year away.

Will wait for some interviews with writer to see her view. After TH interviews only about Apoc and Betsy we knew that Excalibur will be lame even before #1 arrived.

I think that this mini and main plot was teased in Duggan`s X-Men 9,10,12.

Destiny wants Rogue to join her and Mystique on Krakoa and leave X-Men (Rogue leaves team after #12) and Gambit.
Destiny tells that Remy is not worthy and that Rogue must leave him. Or something like that. Also Destiny told that soon Rogue will change and will see Krakoa and Gambit the way Destiny sees.
Rogue leaves X-Men to joim Destiny because only Rogue can save mutants from entering some portal and never return.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2022, 06:45:40 AM »
X-Men 9

X-Men 12

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #384 on: October 17, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »
So I finally got my Gambit #3 issue. It's pretty good. It's so nice to see competent and formidable Gambit again. Question though, why does it seem like there is always a joke made about Gambit's uniform thrown into his solo or team-up outings? Gambit has one of the most enduring original character designs of all the X-Men. They've really never tried to revamp his look because it is so iconic and holds up over time as he is still mainly depicted in his original form. I guess I just don't see why they always put a joke in there. It's light hearted here though. And I did kind of enjoy the explanation of it's design and armor abilities.

Question two: I don't exactly understand the logic behind Gambit's cards having little effect on Warhawk but the bow staff was f---ing him up. Did Remy charge the staff? I just don't exactly follow that idea. But again, nice to see Gambit achieving his goal by getting to Momma and Ro' and seeing him kick ass and take names.

Still hate lil Stormy's depiction visually. And I still don't really understand why she's so aggressive about everything.
I like Marissa. It's a shame there are only two more issues of this left.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #385 on: October 17, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
Carlos Gomez is a very good artist.
This mini is a half of year away.

Will wait for some interviews with writer to see her view. After TH interviews only about Apoc and Betsy we knew that Excalibur will be lame even before #1 arrived.

I think that this mini and main plot was teased in Duggan`s X-Men 9,10,12.

Destiny wants Rogue to join her and Mystique on Krakoa and leave X-Men (Rogue leaves team after #12) and Gambit.
Destiny tells that Remy is not worthy and that Rogue must leave him. Or something like that. Also Destiny told that soon Rogue will change and will see Krakoa and Gambit the way Destiny sees.
Rogue leaves X-Men to joim Destiny because only Rogue can save mutants from entering some portal and never return.

May have to take this more literally. The mutants have literal portals they've been using. Chances are there may come a mission with little to zero success (not that it matters these days) rate and Rogue's reasoning may be what stops a suicide mission. But then again, this would be a great opportunity for Duggan to pair her with another insert character.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #386 on: October 18, 2022, 08:04:00 AM »
So sounds like this mini will be about Destiny crapping on Gambit.  What a new and interesting dynamic to explore in their relationship. SMH!  Hopefully we can at least get a divorce out of this if that is the case.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2022, 12:48:37 PM »
Really would like to ask the new writer "so, what's your favorite Gambit story" just to see if they're really bout it. Tired of writers claiming that they "love the character" but obviously don't know a thing about him outside of what they gathered from watching XTAS and maybe his minor appearances in the mainline of books... whatever that means anymore.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2022, 07:04:33 PM »
Gambit #4 came already. I liked it. Gambit doing Gambit things. I really wish there was someone else at there that could write Gambit this way in the mainline comics. That is all.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2022, 10:28:27 AM »
Gambit #5 of the mini will be out on Nov 16th. Or so, comixology says.