Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2023  (Read 107270 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2023
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2023, 07:01:22 PM »
Minor ‘sighting’. Apparently marvel is getting Alex Ross to do some covers for their 60th anniversary. One is going to an Alex Ross version of the Jim Lee X-men 1 cover, so it has Gambit. This is a link to a comic book.com article that has a pencil version of that cover and an avengers cover:

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/alex-ross-x-men-avengers-60th-anniversaries-commemorative-covers/

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2023, 07:19:57 AM »
Have a nice day, everyone!
Just my fanart.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2023, 07:23:39 AM »
I noticed R&G terrible preview only now. Definetely would draw a different cards for Remy if saw it earlier.

Don`t check this preview if you dont want to be frustrated :(

https://www.superherohype.com/news/527492-exclusive-preview-rogue-gambit-1
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:43:42 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2023, 11:00:39 AM »
The preview is unsurprisingly awful. No need for dialogue, you could tell by the art how bad it would be.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »
there's a preview..? If you didnt say anything, I'd never know. Still bought the DNA Rogue variant for RG#2... it was too gorgeous not to add to my DNA collection.

edit: read the preview... pretty artwork.

Thats it. Reasonably straightforward modern-day "Gambit-cant-get-right, Rogue's the-bestest-ever" BS.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:49:18 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2023, 04:16:04 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. They got him blackout wasted drunk. Not a good look.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2023, 02:21:13 AM »
Bought Rogue and Gambit 1 and regret a lot. R&G 1 is a terrible book about Robot Rogue and pathetic loser Gambit. It felt like reading a Tini Howard book again and I don't need such things in my life.[/size]I hardly recommend not to buy it. This book is just a frustration.[/color]

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2023, 03:57:01 PM »
Bought Rogue and Gambit 1 and regret a lot. R&G 1 is a terrible book about Robot Rogue and pathetic loser Gambit. It felt like reading a Tini Howard book again and I don't need such things in my life.I hardly recommend not to buy it. This book is just a frustration.

Damn. What a shame. I don't think I'll be buying this series. I don't want to read and spend money on the embarrassment of my favorite character. Unless you guys start saying it gets better.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2023, 04:18:00 PM »
Read it on readallcomics.com. Was finished in less than 5 mins. Don't care for this writer's take on Gambit and Rogue. I'm not paying money for this. Why is the writer creating this kind of drama between them? Why is Gambit getting so drunk that he pukes all over Rogue? This is dumb. They should have gotten Kelly Thompson to write this. She and Claremont are the only ones who seem to know Gambit and Rogue as the characters they are.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2023, 05:23:33 PM »
Read it on readallcomics.com. Was finished in less than 5 mins. Don't care for this writer's take on Gambit and Rogue. I'm not paying money for this. Why is the writer creating this kind of drama between them? Why is Gambit getting so drunk that he pukes all over Rogue? This is dumb. They should have gotten Kelly Thompson to write this. She and Claremont are the only ones who seem to know Gambit and Rogue as the characters they are.

I also found it online (not spending money on it) and read it in minutes. I actually skipped some of the pages. It is so bad it hurts. Gambit is written just as stupid and mopey and annoying as in Excalibur but worse because now he’s a drunk. Rogue is a cold shrew. Gambit is obviously the butt of every joke, and follows Rogue as she makes all the decisions. It’s pathetic how these so-called writers are clueless not only about the characters they're writing but also about how a real relationship is like.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 05:25:23 PM by andresa »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:34 PM »
In terms of pure writing... Wasn't the worst thing I read. But I find it hard to believe this Stephanie Phillips is an actual fan of Gambit. The whole thing had him looking like bumbling can't get anything right moron. Even when he was right, Phillips wrote Rogue talking down to him. It's like she tried to make him look stupid but actually just made Rogue look like a callous b!#&#.

The Destiny interactions were pretty spot on, but if you're going to write Rogue like that, it comes off as overkill. Not a kind issue for Gambit if your a Gambit fan. This was a much better written version of Excalibur/Knights. Not characterization. Just the script. You can actually follow it. Art was very good and the action scene towards the end was nice. I think if Stephanie got characters she actually liked, she wouldn't be horrible. But nah..not here. Not with Gambit. Not certain I'm keeping this on my pull, but I already bought the DNA variant for #2. So I'm here at least for that.

Not a high recommendation. At the very least, don't buy it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2023, 10:57:54 PM »
Also ... Why the #&&$ is Gambit fighting Thieves Guild members anyway? That's like... Biden fighting the Secret Service. How does a "Gambit fan" not know that wouldn't make sense? How does the editor not know that?

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
Someone has to say it.

WTF is up with women writers of Gambit. Any clue?
I've read women writers for years with novels and none of them wrote men horribly. I don't understand. I love women writers except when it comes to Gambit. When I say that about women writers, I have entire kindle library that is full completely women written material. I got a few male writers but they don't dominate my library.

I don't get it. No offense to anyone.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »
Someone has to say it.

WTF is up with women writers of Gambit. Any clue?
I've read women writers for years with novels and none of them wrote men horribly. I don't understand. I love women writers except when it comes to Gambit. When I say that about women writers, I have entire kindle library that is full completely women written material. I got a few male writers but they don't dominate my library.

I don't get it. No offense to anyone.

Isn't this a modern issue in general in the comics? Seems to come from a feminist agenda where men have to be weak, inept, and dumb in order to prop up the female characters. Which in turn makes the females seem like insufferable b****es. It's all over Hollywood as well. For the record, I really didn't have a problem with how Kelly Thompson portrayed Gambit for the most part. She was just too focused on Rogue of course.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 05:15:12 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »
Think it is marvel as a whole. Liu was fine with Gambit IMO and after hating Thompson's first stint as a Gambit writer, her writing of him in Captain Marvel has been great. Most of the male writers suck writing him as well. There are just more of them so it doesn't stand out as much because that will be offset by a male writer that does a good job of him.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"