Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2023  (Read 107234 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2023
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2023, 11:16:56 AM »
I see Rogue heading to an Avengers book this Fall with Captain America, Quicksilver, Deadpool and Psylocke. Wonder what that means for Gambit.

I think that's a one-shot for free comic book day. Of course Duggan pulled her into it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2023, 05:02:44 PM »
https://screenrant.com/x23-gambit-better-father-wolverine-logan/

This is actually a pretty great article about Gambit and X-23.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 05:04:25 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2023, 09:14:47 PM »
https://aiptcomics.com/2023/03/31/marvel-preview-rogue-gambit-2-2/

The dialogue in this preview is complete trash. Guess Gambit is just going to be a whiner and a complainer while Rogue is brave and in control of everything. Yay

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
I see Rogue heading to an Avengers book this Fall with Captain America, Quicksilver, Deadpool and Psylocke. Wonder what that means for Gambit.

I think that's a one-shot for free comic book day. Of course Duggan pulled her into it.

I was wrong...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline WhiteVeils

• Thief
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »
Another article on Rogue and Gambit.

The last comment from the author was interesting....she kind of says she can't write relationships.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/stephanie-phillips-rogue-and-gambit-creator-interview

Admin edit: to make the Link more visible and without an e, it didn't need - text intact. Smiles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:06:24 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline ES113

• Gambler
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »
I would argue R&G 2 is the worst depiction of Gambit in 30 years…. .

At this point it’s an assassination nothing more. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2023, 08:08:35 AM »
IMO - since women writers got their pens on Gambit (there is an exception as always) He has been mutilated. I don't understand it. And I'm in the mode of not caring about him which is sad because he's my favorite. I still check on him but not as I used to do.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2023, 01:44:26 PM »
X-Men comics have been bizarre since like 2006…

But yeah, I don’t see gambit being that desperate in a situation like that to risk harming someone or even traumatize them the threat of an explosion. he’s not psychotic.
It would’ve been better in the story to defeat Black Panther through some sort of teamwork, or been captured and escape, and then may be making it an extra issue.

We might’ve been questioning that scene even if it was someone like Deadpool tying someone up like that as a distraction, I don’t know I think that’s Marvel editorial fail a writer

I could see what the writer was going for but that’s when you need editors to step up and do their job and realize how bad this makes gambit look.

It’s the same old situation though; we expect something to be good, or at least decent when a mini series comes up and we read really silly stuff and we wonder why it got to print. like I can’t imagine cyclops being involved in a mini series and cyclops fans dealing with bull crap like this. I try not to be hyper critical either, but I don’t know that was a weird scene.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:49:04 PM by X-fan73 »

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2023, 01:56:07 PM »
And Madame can you point the individual who tied you next to the stove and who also intentially started a gas leak in this courtroom.

madam: Yes, he’s over there and we would’ve all died. If it wasn’t for Black Panther.

Remy LeBeau:Mon dieu, we really had to get away that day and save our friend! Surely the court will understand!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:00:41 PM by X-fan73 »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
Clearly this writer is just here for Rogue and Gambit is just a foil for her. A writer with minimal knowledge of the character. If Marvel wanted to do a Gambit and Rogue story the very least they could do is hire a writer with knowledge of both title characters. Just not sure if the male characters are a priority at Marvel.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 03:33:43 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2023, 05:55:23 PM »
Rogue didn’t even look good! Instead of going back to save everyone, she just told gambit he couldn’t drive and they needed to go find manifold and clear their names! It was beyond ridiculous.  :o

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
So, I put myself through the pain of reading that piece of s***. It took me around three minutes. It's even worse than the first issue, which was excruciatingly bad.

I don't buy that the awfulness comes from the writer's lack of understanding of the characters. Her writing is just below mediocre. She's just another talentless, self-absorb joke of a writer just like other "talents" at Marvel.

Her attempts at jokes fall flat, the dialogue is fast and nonsensical. The pages with text messaging that are supposed to be funny are just pathetic. Character's decisions are illogical. Gambit putting an innocent in danger in order to make an escape is just so absurd, and then Rogue saying she's driving for no reason at all. She is senseless, cruel, critical. And Gambit is undoubtedly the butt of the joke. He's just a himbo again.

The "writer" obviously know nothing about these characters and, instead of being a decent professional and researching the characters' history, she wrote this (although, to be honest, I don't think she can do better than this).

Who is the target audience? Who is supposed to be reading this crap?

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2023, 02:25:22 PM »
This is interesting...

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/fall-of-x-dark-x-men-steve-foxe-jonas-scharf?linkId=208884706

"And how does Gimmick, breakout star of CHILDREN OF THE ATOM and 2023’s MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE, fall under the Goblin Queen’s sway?"

LOL

That's why I can't bring myself to be excited about anything x-related anymore. I used to be excited every time I saw Gambit on a cover, but after almost all of them being misleading and disappointing I just don't care. I'm actually constantly afraid for Gambit.

admin edit for formatting.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 07:12:02 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2023, 03:24:06 PM »

I don't buy that the awfulness comes from the writer's lack of understanding of the characters. Her writing is just below mediocre. She's just another talentless, self-absorb joke of a writer just like other "talents" at Marvel.

Well yeah, her being a terrible writer was a given I figured. But on top of it she knows nothing about the characters. Clearly she was just interested in Rogue. And oh shocker, Rogue comes off like an awful person. Why would they appoint a hack like this to write two fan favorite X-Men who are also one of Marvel's only solid married couples? Maybe they just think the fans are idiots and will lap up any trash they put out with these characters.

I get being afraid for him. If he keeps getting poor portrayals like this, you worry people just might start thinking this is the way he is. But honestly, I think a lot of male characters are getting this treatment. So he's not alone. There honestly doesn't seem to be many writer's at the moment who get the character and can write him well. And some who will actively make him a fool. Seems to be a common thing for a lot of Marvel writers.

And this is an honest question, can anyone tell me, is there ever male leaders of any of these X-teams. I don't follow all these titles but damn, everytime I notice or look at an article the leader of the team is Kitty Pryde or Betsey Braddock or Madelyn Prior or Storm and so on. Do the women just run everything X-related or am I missing stuff?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:59:25 PM by wantutosigh »