Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2023  (Read 105779 times)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
Re: Gambit Watch 2023
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2023, 10:28:35 AM »
I agree that Foxe gave some very satisfactory answers regarding Gambit, then again, so did Carey years ago and his knowledge and understanding of the character were never reflected on the pages, so it’s hard to expect anything good. I just can’t get my hopes up for anything anymore.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2023, 10:38:53 AM »
I understand and agree.  I don't get my hopes up for anything too but it was nice to hear.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
Those were pretty words. Don't trust it. Heard them before. His words fly in the face of his history with the character. The fact that he brought up Gimmick makes it worse. The only saving grace for the Children of the Atom was to make them fodder from the PoX timeline but nope. It was nonsense, and anyone that thinks they can be salvaged is a hack.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Chizlett

• Wanderer
  • Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2023, 04:20:55 PM »
In R&G #3, Gambit leaves a comic called Rogue and Gambit, way to go. All he does in this issue is get scolded (again) by a fellow X-Man, get kicked out, and then talk about how mysterious Rogue has become??? Very lackluster story.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2023, 06:18:54 PM »
In R&G #3, Gambit leaves a comic called Rogue and Gambit, way to go. All he does in this issue is get scolded (again) by a fellow X-Man, get kicked out, and then talk about how mysterious Rogue has become??? Very lackluster story.
Show of hands of who actually wants Gambit back in this book?

Offline ES113

• Gambler
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2023, 06:27:45 PM »

As you asked:

In my opinion this story is…

The worst depiction of Gambit ever. 
The worst Romy ever. 
The most unlikeable Rogue ever. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2023, 07:46:17 PM »
Gambit is in a terrible state; no-one has written him well in years.
Rogue is also in a terrible state; she's been horrendous for years. Women can be far better than how she is depicted.

Romy: I can't go there.
That said, I went to my LCS and caught up with the owner and had wonderful conversation on person level. I donated comics and he gifted me a small box that I needed for other things. :)

Offline WhiteVeils

• Thief
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2023, 08:03:28 PM »
While I do think it's unlikely there is a chance that they could pull it out with this title and make it ok.Rogue is by herself and over her head.  Gambit could, unknowingly to her, be following her to set a trap.  I don't know if they will do it that way though.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »
This is all depressing stuff to hear. Hopefully nothing "major" happens in this book that we will have to deal with in the future as Gambit fans from these terrible writers.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2023, 02:18:31 PM »
This is top three worst Gambit depiction ever, up there with "clown pants Gambit" and Racky LeBeau. All I hope for now is for this to be so irrelevant, so insignificant that it can be brushed off and never touched upon again. With our luck, though, it's just silly hope.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2023, 05:20:02 PM »
This is top three worst Gambit depiction ever, up there with "clown pants Gambit" and Racky LeBeau. All I hope for now is for this to be so irrelevant, so insignificant that it can be brushed off and never touched upon again. With our luck, though, it's just silly hope.

Not clown pants...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline WhiteVeils

• Thief
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2023, 09:02:40 PM »
Just a few updates.

Captain Marvel issue 50 did not have Gambit in it, focusing just on Carol Danvers  and her 'afterlife'?  Overall, through 49 this was a nice sequence for Gambit: He wasn't the star, but he was a good contributor and even a leader.  Lots of callbacks to old X-Factor (?) days (I think?).  He probably won't be in this series any more.

Rogue and Gambit 4.
Gambit did not 'abandon' Rogue, and was following her to help, which was good and what I thought he was doing.  However, he didn't make it in time. 
From the dialogue and so on, the author is hinting that part of what is going on with Gambit is in response to his recent 'death' in Knights of X, and he's dealing with some sort of trauma and depression.  Not his best look, but it doesn't bother me as bad as some...at least they are pointing to there being a reason for it.  Everyone is wanting Gambit to open up and share his feelings with Rogue, but they're pointing out that she's keeping all sorts of things secret from him. She uses the excuse 'it's just the job', but just because she has an excuse doesn't mean that it's going to not be extremely difficult for Gambit to try to be open with Rogue.

Anyway.

Extreme Xmen ended its arc without really another big moment for Gambit, unfortunately, but he held his own in the fights. Not a central character.

Anyway...don't know if he's in anything else, but trying to keep things updated.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2023, 10:40:53 AM »
Thanks for the update, WhiteVeils. It's appreciated.  ;)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2023, 07:33:05 PM »
Yeah thanks for filling us in WhiteVeils. I had been wondering what was up with our boy.

Question for all: Is "All New X-Factor" with Gambit on the team worth checking out? I've been thinking about picking up the books.

Offline WhiteVeils

• Thief
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2023, 10:28:40 PM »
I haven't seen that one yet.