Author Topic: Gambit 2024  (Read 96947 times)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
Re: Gambit 2024
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2024, 09:27:06 AM »
So, some people are speculating Gambit will come back as Apocalypse's horseman of death. If so, I hope he doesn't have the lame ass fart power, and is instead more like New Sun, where he can destroy things by charging them from a distance, instantly. It is interesting that Gambit's powers began glowing white before he detonated the Kaiju tri-headed sentinel.

I don't like the horseman theory TBH. On one hand, Gambit would have another arc of his own; on the other hand, he'd be stuck as horseman for a long time and we'd probably see him again only in season two.

Fans come up with smarter theories than the creators. I bet it'll be time travel. Too many important characters died for it not to be reserved.

I do hate the contradictory comments we get from the creators and voice actors. We can't really take what they say at face value. 

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2024, 05:26:45 PM »
Forbes: X-Men 97’ Episode 5 Cements It As One Of The Best Marvel Projects, Ever
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/04/11/x-men-97-episode-5-cements-it-as-one-of-the-best-marvel-projects-ever/?sh=78690742c1ca

But yeah, what an episode. This is easily the best Marvel project since Endgame, and this specific Gambit moment reminded me of the epic Loki finale. It may have been better. I can’t believe how good this series is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 06:03:35 PM by purplevit »

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2024, 05:52:39 PM »
There are some that believe That Gambit is definitely 100% dead from this point on. I don't believe that. To just continue this show without him being involved anymore would be a clear mistake. He is a fan favorite and they have brought so many characters back. Also like it or not, Gambit and Rogue is probably the best couple Marvel has and they've barely started with them. I don't see them just throwing that away so early.
I believe it will be some type of time travel scenario that wipes the slate clean and brings everyone back. I just hope to god everyone retains the knowledge of what happened somehow. I think the people that think he is really dead forever aren't Gambit fans and really don't understand all he brings to the table.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 05:54:21 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2024, 06:01:01 PM »
There are some that believe That Gambit is definitely 100% dead from this point on. I don't believe that. To just continue this show without him being involved anymore would be a clear mistake. He is a fan favorite and they have brought so many characters back. Also like it or not, Gambit and Rogue is probably the best couple Marvel has and they've barely started with them. I don't see them just throwing that away so early.
I believe it will be some type of time travel scenario that wipes the slate clean and brings everyone back. I just hope to god everyone retains the knowledge of what happened somehow. I think the people that think he is really dead forever aren't Gambit fans and really don't understand all he brings to the table.

A lot of X fans may want Gambit to stay dead so his absence will open a spot for Nightcrawler, Betsy, Iceman isert X character.

I am sure he will return in episode 9 or 10.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 06:04:23 PM by purplevit »

Online ES113

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2024, 08:18:08 PM »
It feels like this is Gambit’s moment and his mass appeal is clear to see.  After thirty years it was deserved and we deserved it.  I saw everything from a men’s health article to hundreds of reaction videos calling Gambit the man.  I love it. 

The problem with the future is it depends on how cynical you now are and you have a right to be as a Gambit fan.  I don’t disagree with anything said above but they did crap on him for four and three quarter episodes which is a microcosm of how Marvel creators treat him in all mediums.  They may just have devised a way to write him out because they carte blanche refuse to write anything meaningful so the big send off was the only way. 

Being a Gambit fan is actually pretty tough and not great for your mental health and the only parallels I can draw are to a much personal pain with my sons illness.  You can constantly wake up thinking it wil get better but then slowly reality dawns etc.  it’s the hope that kills you.  it’s weirdly emotional.

In some ways I hope you are both right but if I had to guess it will be ‘Death Gambit’ and Rogue centered, sigh.  it’s not that I hate her it’s just become apathy because I don’t want to see him go through the ringer again and listen to the justifications.   It’s always the same and there’s no trust.  Strangely I would rather see him stay dead.  If we get hero Gambit, great. 

Personally though I think they have overplayed their hand and will not be able to match the poignancy of this episode going forward.  I think it will be perceived as the highlight of the season.   I think they have also underestimated something I thought we would never see and that’s sympathetic Gambit.  His mass appeal is literally clear to see  and as far as I can tell Rogue’s reputation is somewhat. In tatters as she heads to be as polarizing as Gambit has become.

If he is dead, then I would say this.  RIP Remy, you went out how you live which is why I loved it so much.  If this is it then, Rogue and the haters and the sh***** Xmen writers can no longer hurt you.  This week you were the man and whole world got to see it.

admin edit for site anomalies - content is in tact. N
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:21:22 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Blade3D1

• Journeyman
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2024, 05:28:20 AM »
I'm going to create an "X-Men '97 Episode 5 !!!SPOILERS!!!" thread. This is just the beginning of the discussion on this episode, and I'm sure everyone would like to read people's thoughts without having black bars on everything.
Long (like really really long) time lurker.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2024, 06:22:25 AM »
The black bars are for spoilers. LOL. I appreciate your thoughts and by now the bars aren't needed. As a week has gone by but ... no changes on my end. LOL.

Offline Blade3D1

• Journeyman
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2024, 07:17:43 AM »
The black bars are for spoilers. LOL. I appreciate your thoughts and by now the bars aren't needed. As a week has gone by but ... no changes on my end. LOL.

Yeah, I know.
Long (like really really long) time lurker.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2024, 03:26:17 PM »
I do hate the contradictory comments we get from the creators and voice actors. We can't really take what they say at face value.

I don't mind the voice actors really I'm enjoying them, because they have to watch what they say; the director and writers thought I've decided to ignore because of the contradictions.

As for Deathbit, it's not ideal but I have faith they'll improve on the source material if that's where they're headed. I do fear we've hit a peak already though. But we'll see. I'm still torn as to how I want things to go...

I am enjoying the widespread love our boy is getting while it lasts. Marvel could learn from this. They won't. But they could.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 03:29:18 PM by Miss Misery »
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2024, 04:21:20 PM »
I think people are overthinking this a bit. Some of the people behind the show have publicly come out to say Rogue and Gambit are OTP. Well, pretty hard for that to be the case when 1/2 of your OTP dies and stays dead. To say nothing of how incredibly dumb it would be to bring back a character that people have been dying to see for the better part of 20 years only to kill them off 5 episodes into a new series.

I'm not worried about this being permanent.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2024, 07:18:19 PM »
I think people are overthinking this a bit. Some of the people behind the show have publicly come out to say Rogue and Gambit are OTP. Well, pretty hard for that to be the case when 1/2 of your OTP dies and stays dead. To say nothing of how incredibly dumb it would be to bring back a character that people have been dying to see for the better part of 20 years only to kill them off 5 episodes into a new series.

I'm not worried about this being permanent.

I completely agree with this. If you think about it a bit harder, it really seems unlikely it stays this way. Not to mention Gambit gets his heart broken and is at his lowest point beforehand then, that's it. While Rogue finally has her moment of clarity only to never be able to tell Gambit after crushing him. Mmmmmm, I don't see this show leaving it like that. Especially after only 5 episodes of the show. It's incredibly short-sighted considering all the potential there is to mine there. And so far, I've been impressed with this shows ability to do the stories and characters justice. I just don't see them cutting off all the possibilities they have here for story and character. I mean, they can do some really romantic stuff which could be a nice change of pace from the cyclops/madelyn/jean drama. But who knows? It's possible they make a dumb decision.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 07:20:30 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2024, 08:37:53 PM »
I don't mind the voice actors really I'm enjoying them, because they have to watch what they say; the director and writers thought I've decided to ignore because of the contradictions.

As for Deathbit, it's not ideal but I have faith they'll improve on the source material if that's where they're headed. I do fear we've hit a peak already though. But we'll see. I'm still torn as to how I want things to go...

I am enjoying the widespread love our boy is getting while it lasts. Marvel could learn from this. They won't. But they could.

Lenore Zann is annoying as hell!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2024, 03:59:54 AM »
I think that we finally are starting to heal from the shock and see things more realistic that things won`t stay permanent? ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:23:15 AM by purplevit »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2024, 08:15:34 AM »
I think that we finally are starting to heal from the shock and see things more realistic that things won`t stay permanent? ;D

It still hurts but thinking pragmatically, Gambit has to come back. His story was cut short, there was no payoff. I think that we will see the repercussions of the deaths in the next episode, and as much as I hate the fact that Gambit’s death will be pivotal to Rogue’s arc (esp with the old creep also dead), I don’t think that’s just it, I don’t think it’s the only reason for his death. There are some loose ends because his demise was too abrupt. The show runners talk about realism but this is the X-Men. Since the show is fast paced I think there’s a chance that some things will change in episode 7.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2024, 11:49:32 AM »
I am torn. Like many of you, I don't want Gambit's sacrifice undermined. Bringing him back too soon does that. At the same time I don't want him gone for good, or gone for a long time (like not returning until late season 2, and then mitigated). The overwhelming reaction to this episode, and specifically Gambit has been incredible to witness. There's NO WAY Marvel higher ups can deny his popularity, and as much as the writers and creators may hate him, and not want to use him in favor of their darling characters that can't draw a dime, this episode alone will have created a new generation of fans calling for him, and creators who will one day feature him, and feature him as WE like him; bad ass, heroic, confident.

\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"