Gambit > Gambit FanFic

French 101

(1/6) > >>

Protege moi:
Hey all,

I'm volunteering my time to fic writers who have questions about the French language, should they using it in their stories and the online translators just don't seem to be doing the trick!

The goal is to have a bit of an archive of common French sayings, etc. or provide help to those who want to stick it into a story and make sure it sounds right!

I think the general feeling is that no person is going to be writing entire sentences in French, but if for some reason there will be, I'll do my best to try and help out with that! 

This thread is here as a tool, should writers wish to use it, and I don't want anyone to feel obliged that they have to. 

I will check the thread every week day.  If any Francophone out there wishes to volunteer a suggestion, please feel free.  I'm also hoping if you find a mistake that you'll correct me. 

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

xenokattz:
This is for a Smallville fic (of all things!) but I would love to have a double check anyway:

Sois sage pendant nos absences, d'accord? = Be good (as in obedient) while we're gone, okay?

Also, when a kid has just mastered full sentences (maybe around 4 or 5) what kind of grammatical mistakes might she make? ie) confusing tenses and plurals

Thanks in advance!

Protege moi:
Having discussed things with you, I think our best bet is:

'Soyez ob?issants pendant notre absence.'

As for errors in little kids with speech, I'm not so sure, as i've not spent a lot of time around French speaking toddlers.  Any francophones who have, please feel free to imput.

But I can see confusing sounds, and yes, confusing tenses.  Plurals are difficult to illustrate in speech, because often they're indicated by a silent 's' at the end of a word...it's not an audible mistake, but more one you would see on paper.  they might, however, make gender mistakes. 

again, i'm not certain on this, as i've never been around a kid developing language in french.

GambitMojo:
How many in the Guild are 'actual' Cajuns?

I think it would be cool to do a fan series in Cajun. aka a Gambit online perhaps comic book

anyone have an opinion on this???

Protege moi:
I have no idea how many 'actual' Cajuns are in the Guild.  Though, we do boast quite a few Francophones.

~V

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version