Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1095387 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
I can see why people wanted Bunn to write Gambit now but I've also never understood why people think Gambit would work with/for Magneto. Good to see Gambit get some nice panel time that doesn't end with him being the Red Skull or involve Rogue (despite the fact that I like Romy and Rogue) or involve him getting taken out. I also liked the fight because it felt like a classic Gambit move of taking the advantage when it presented itself and even if he wasn't always in control of the fight he still won it... and he got to beat Fantomex. That's a double bonus for me.

Oh at this rate, the fact that hes hanging around the X-Men all but assures that he'll never be around Rogue again lol. She's the only thing keeping UA afloat.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
I can see why people wanted Bunn to write Gambit now but I've also never understood why people think Gambit would work with/for Magneto. Good to see Gambit get some nice panel time that doesn't end with him being the Red Skull or involve Rogue.......

It didn't make sense for him to get a "job" as it were in ANXF. I do think a story could be done where it could make sense. But I doubt the writers would even bother.

If MC can not think there is anything wrong with his Rogneto, it would be safe to say that the writers are not to terribly concerned with continuity.  As long as the character fits the bill story wise, its what you get. :)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
Top 100 Comics And Graphic Novels For June 2016 – And DC Had 15 of The Top 20

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/10/top-100-comics-and-graphic-novels-for-june-2016-and-dc-had-15-of-the-top-20/

37   DEADPOOL VS GAMBIT #1

I would predict sales around 70k.
It slightly outsold stable books like Amazing Spider-Man, Deadpool and Spider-Man/Deadpool.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
And it did better than most X books, and was better than Uncanny Avengers. Good, glad to see that. :)

The second issue may drop though, that just seems to be case no matter what book it is. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:47:33 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
I think Marvel would do better as a whole if they cut out all this corp synergy, dropped the "All..." crap and just told stories that arent obviously Disney Pictures pandering.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #410 on: July 20, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »
Xmen: The Trial of Gambit is out in trade today (7/20/16)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #411 on: July 21, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »
Read this today and it reminded me of all the story potential that was wasted.  At the end there is a bit of an interview with Scott Lobdell where he talks about all the ramifications this story will have on Gambit's relationships with Storm, Marrow, and Rogue and we never really got any of that aside from some of the Rogue stuff.  The story potential with Marrow trying to reconcile Gambit's role in the massacre as well as his role in saving her life completely unresolved.  Then there is Storm exploring Gambit's motivations for joining and staying with the X-men despite never really being a die hard X-man.

At any rate, still much better than most of the stuff we get these days regarding Gambit.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #412 on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:26 AM »
I plan on picking this up later today. I like the extras, interviews and things like that.

Based on your view, seems like a lot was wasted with that story line. That is a several story ideas not explored.  :)

I'm glad it was collected.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:48:40 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #413 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
That's par for the course with Lobdell, what did you expect? Anyone ever read his Superman run? It's got some interesting ideas but the execution is so bad.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #414 on: July 21, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
I can see why people wanted Bunn to write Gambit now but I've also never understood why people think Gambit would work with/for Magneto. Good to see Gambit get some nice panel time that doesn't end with him being the Red Skull or involve Rogue (despite the fact that I like Romy and Rogue) or involve him getting taken out. I also liked the fight because it felt like a classic Gambit move of taking the advantage when it presented itself and even if he wasn't always in control of the fight he still won it... and he got to beat Fantomex. That's a double bonus for me.

I don't think Gambit would have a huge problem working with Mags.  Even when Joseph and he were in a bit of a love triangle with Rogue, there were times where he and Joseph worked fine together which I was reminded of when I read the Trial of Gambit.  Gambit says something to the effect of "us scoundrels need to stick together."

So I think classic Gambit had enough confidence, swagger, and understanding that people made mistakes that he would be willing to give Mags a chance if he thought Mags was trying to turn over a new leaf or had the best interests of mutants at hear.  He would obviously probably still keep an eye on him like he was planning on doing with Apocalypse but Gambit was always willing to work with shady types.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #415 on: July 21, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
I don't think Gambit would have a huge problem working with Mags.  Even when Joseph and he were in a bit of a love triangle with Rogue, there were times where he and Joseph worked fine together which I was reminded of when I read the Trial of Gambit.  Gambit says something to the effect of "us scoundrels need to stick together."

So I think classic Gambit had enough confidence, swagger, and understanding that people made mistakes that he would be willing to give Mags a chance if he thought Mags was trying to turn over a new leaf or had the best interests of mutants at hear.  He would obviously probably still keep an eye on him like he was planning on doing with Apocalypse but Gambit was always willing to work with shady types.

I kinda agree and disagree. About Gambit getting along or not getting along with Magneto. Gambit and Magneto have been in what I call an undeclared cold war, mostly concerning Rogue, not to mention the personal strike against him during the "trial" and initiating it in the first place, all just to distract the X-Men (which ultimately didn't distract anyone...). By all means, Gambit should kind of dislike the man, but at the same time not. Either him, or some version of him has gotten between him and her several times in at least 3 realities. But IMO what pulls that away is the fact that Gambit's self-loathing may dampen any ill feelings he could have or should have developed toward him.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #416 on: July 21, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
I kinda saw it more as, yes he would be willing to work with shady types, but he wouldn't 'buy' mags constant holier than thou, and woe is me routine that Xavier and the rest always do. And as such wouldn't trust him as much either, hence wouldn't want to work with him (also he's got more 'human' friends and family than most of the other characters )

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2016, 04:37:17 AM »
Fanto and Mistique did nothing important in 10 issues and appeared only a little bit. They are not even with team.

There were nothing to do for Gambit in this book really. Ofcourse Bunn could change if Remy was a part of book.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
I kinda agree and disagree. About Gambit getting along or not getting along with Magneto. Gambit and Magneto have been in what I call an undeclared cold war, mostly concerning Rogue, not to mention the personal strike against him during the "trial" and initiating it in the first place, all just to distract the X-Men (which ultimately didn't distract anyone...). By all means, Gambit should kind of dislike the man, but at the same time not. Either him, or some version of him has gotten between him and her several times in at least 3 realities. But IMO what pulls that away is the fact that Gambit's self-loathing may dampen any ill feelings he could have or should have developed toward him.

I didn't say they would get along.  I said Gambit can work with him or be on a team with him.  I would expect it to be like it was in the Trial of Gambit.  Gambit and Joseph were not friends by any means but that didn't prevent Gambit from siding with Joseph if he thought it was right.

The point was simply as someone that has done bad things he regrets and as someone who has always worked with shady types, I see no reason for Gambit not to be able to put aside any issues he has with Mags if ultimately it's in the best interest of the team or mission.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2016, 04:40:32 AM »
Is it possible to make some scans or photos from Gambit Trial interviews or extras?
I really would like to see what story was planned :)