Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1095415 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #795 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
Wow ... well, that is hopeful isn't it. :)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
What if they do go ahead with 2nd movie ending with the massacre, but Gambit, somewhat succeeding, but not really, is dying of his wounds and is rescued by the X-Men? Either after the fight, or at the last minute saving him from a deathblow. Kind of end the movie there as a crazy cliffhanger moment we wouldnt have to wait 2 years to see continued (hopefully they'd either begin or already start filming the team movie at that point). It could cut right after they save him or with him waking up in the X-Mansion (Like Wolverine in DoFP) with let's say, whoever's playing Rogue standing over him (que insane theater cheering) or Wolverine, Beast etc. Either way, they'd have no way of knowing his involvement and not being able to read his mind, it wouldnt be revealed he's the one that brought the Marauders to the tunnels. Something that can play as a subplot in an X-Men team film, possibly with Sinister as the "big bad". I think this would work about as good the Wolverine/Striker conflict in X2, especially if Fox moves forward with throwing all their support behind Tatum as the centerpiece like they wanted before Deadpool. The X-Men save Gambit, and they bond with him as they nurse him back to health, fight alongside him, just to discover he's responsible for the very mess they rescued him from, not to mention dozens of mutant deaths and guilty of lying because he'd have to come up with some sort of story that shines a positive light as to why he was there in the first place.

I guess my only question would be how would they end up saving him and not realize he was somehow involved.  He's doesn't really fit the morlock type so what would be his reason for hanging around sewers?  Unless you change the location of the massacre in a way that makes Gambit and innocent bystander passing by.

The only other issue for me is that I would want Gambit to join the team with people being suspicious as that was part of his appeal ie whether the team could really trust him.  So naturally if they find him around the massacre, it would make that the thing for them to suspicious about rather than being suspicious about his being a thief.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline red joseph

• Horseman
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Sounds like just another guest appearance

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #798 on: March 01, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »
 I really hope the mutant massacre is not touched in the movie even with a 100 foot pole. the event is too dark and is a recon of a story that was done better the first time by Claremont. They needed Gambit to have a secret and they chose the massacre.
Gambit should be introduced in a X-Men team movie that is hopefully well received. I am a bit nervous for Fox to go straight into a Solo, unless the movie is so good it will sell it self.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2017, 02:57:20 AM »
Got answered question in X-Po with editors

http://www.cbr.com/x-position-resurrxion-x-editors-part-1/

And here’s a question from Purplevit about everyone’s favorite Ragin’ Cajun…

Gambit wasn’t a part of any ongoing for years and appeared only as guest star. Can we expect Gambit to join any teams in 2017?

Robinson: I think you’re gonna wanna see the cover to “X-Men Gold” #4, Purp…

Paniccia: And there’s some place else he could be popping in the summer. Shhhhh.

Sooooooo Gambit is joining the team or...?

Without a straight answer I'm suspicious. They're all like "yeah check out x-men gold" but they didn't say yes he's joining a team which to me screams guest appearance. They don't like to actually say no when it comes to Gambit.

But if I'm wrong then you know, cool.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #800 on: March 02, 2017, 03:12:49 AM »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #801 on: March 02, 2017, 03:26:03 AM »
X-MEN: BLUE Puts A New Spin on Classic X-MEN Villains & Relationships
http://www.newsarama.com/33395-x-men-blue-aims-to-put-a-new-spin-on-classic-x-men-villains-relationships.html

Nrama: Who is your favorite of the young X-Men to draw? Is there a team member that you see as your POV character?

Molina: I really enjoy Cyclops, I think he has a great character design in this book. I just hope I get to draw Wolverine and Gambit at some point.

Offline dieCG

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #802 on: March 02, 2017, 03:53:13 AM »
What I seriously dislike? Writers forget. Remy used powers with his skill. His powers were secondary. And yes. He is supposed to be powerful, and in a discrete way. That's why he was the 'Prince of Thieves". He would over charged a lock... Or knowing that could happen, use the right tool. Be it a tool or hacking... In the 90s. f***ing writers forgot how smart and powerful Gambit is. I attribute this to insecure they are. Personally.

Offline dieCG

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #803 on: March 02, 2017, 04:05:15 AM »
Back in the early 90s, he was super smart {Knowing Cajun, French, German, English and Japanese INCLUDING doing an convincing spy Old Kings London English accent as 'James Lord'.}. The man is f***ing smart and more than tr-lingual. According to 90s area stuff- {35, I dun know off old 94 stats book.} Gambit is 6'3, power of 8.6, agility of 9.8, psy power of 6.4, int of 8.9, int of 9.3. Yeah. The man was smart, and powerful. Smart enough to not draw attention as that he liked his work. That he taught to Stormy.

Proof in the pudding? Marvel is saying ' f*** you' to us all. May it be me in my older 30s or down.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #804 on: March 02, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
Not your age, trust me. I'm the old person here. LOL I agree with you, writers have forgotten .... Gambit just has not been written well since Asmus. It takes a writer with interest and more than just his name (PAD) - he liked the idea of Gambit ... until he screwed up with this story telling.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #805 on: March 02, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Not your age, trust me. I'm the old person here. LOL I agree with you, writers have forgotten .... Gambit just has not been written well since Asmus. It takes a writer with interest and more than just his name (PAD) - he liked the idea of Gambit ... until he screwed up with this story telling.

Screwed up or made the biggest U-turn in recent history in terms of a book's focus? Gambit seems to be regulated to fodder. Within his own solo and headlining team books he has most of his interactions with original characters and others we never see again. We know Asmus was denied access to several characters, and I still don't know what happened with PAD. We thought he was going somewhere with the Polaris relationship but that deadened with him assaulting her face like some creep... After being ignored for 2 or 3 issues. PAD didn't just let me down with his portrayal of Gambit, his whole story was just spinning it's wheels putting way too much attention on pet characters and garbage time stories. I don't have a problem with slow burn story telling. But at least focus it around characters people care about.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #806 on: March 02, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
I don't mind slow burn story telling either, but the problem is it's damn near impossible for a writer to write a slow burn these days, because before they know it, they have to wrap up their story before the upcoming event which will either result in the relaunch or cancellation of the book.  Not defending PAD.  He should have realized he wasn't going to have 150+ issues on the new volume of X-Factor.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #807 on: March 02, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
I don't mind slow burn story telling either, but the problem is it's damn near impossible for a writer to write a slow burn these days, because before they know it, they have to wrap up their story before the upcoming event which will either result in the relaunch or cancellation of the book.  Not defending PAD.  He should have realized he wasn't going to have 150+ issues on the new volume of X-Factor.

Agreed. And while I enjoyed the character style story telling, there wasn't enough action for the most part or very poorly ended stuff or just too convenient type endings. E.g. Georgia's parents thing. He would never have been allowed that long of a run with those sales. The volume that ended prior to All New had poor sales as well.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #808 on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Agreed. And while I enjoyed the character style story telling, there wasn't enough action for the most part or very poorly ended stuff or just too convenient type endings. E.g. Georgia's parents thing. He would never have been allowed that long of a run with those sales. The volume that ended prior to All New had poor sales as well.

Favorable critical support helped carry the previous volume longer than it should have, especially when he dove into the Rictor/Shatterstar relationship. He's currently writing Spider-Man 2099, and that isnt doing all that well either... but thats freaking Spider-Man. It's as likely to be canceled as Captain Marvel.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline deathsun

• Thief
« Reply #809 on: March 02, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
Didn't PAD said that All New X-Factor story will be touched on Spider-man 2099 when the cancellation confirmed? Even he used the half of the final issue with it. I think that he just wanted to transfer the remaining readers to his favorite book.