Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098314 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
I don't think you can criticize people for not 'listening' to brevoort's warning. He said x-fans would be pissed not gambit fans. It's pretty well 'documented' that marvel doesn't care what gambit fan think or else he'd actually be in a book now and they wouldn't have let Carey squash him to live out his old man abuse fantasy in legacy. I did think he might get killed, because an xmen dying in an avenegers book would piss off xfans. The oops it's not really gambit wouldn't have bothered 'xfans' who weren't particularly gambit fans, and it didn't. Given past behavior, there's absolutely no reason to think brevoort was talking about gambit or a bait and switch. I think was of the running theories was that rogue would be cured of being a mutant in order to cure the t-mist problem.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

Don,

So my simple question is what did you want Marvel to do with the marketing?  Your only real options are for them to spoil their story or try and keep it completely secret.

I assume we can agree that spoiling their story isn't much of an option.  OK so next option would be to not market it as a Gambit appearance at all.  OK now what happens when someone leaks that Gambit is going to be in UA5 and Marvel didn't market it.  There would be upset Gambit fans complaining about how Gambit gets no respect and Marvel would still not spoil their story.  Except now they have also missed out on more sales.

Point being there are downsides to both scenarios and Marvel choose the scenario that offers them a chance to make more money.  That's entirely logical and ethical.

Further by contrast all you had to do after hearing the warning was wait to see what people said about his appearance.  You would have lost nothing but a chance to read it early.

"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »
I don't think you can criticize people for not 'listening' to brevoort's warning. He said x-fans would be pissed not gambit fans. It's pretty well 'documented' that marvel doesn't care what gambit fan think or else he'd actually be in a book now and they wouldn't have let Carey squash him to live out his old man abuse fantasy in legacy. I did think he might get killed, because an xmen dying in an avenegers book would piss off xfans. The oops it's not really gambit wouldn't have bothered 'xfans' who weren't particularly gambit fans, and it didn't. Given past behavior, there's absolutely no reason to think brevoort was talking about gambit or a bait and switch. I think was of the running theories was that rogue would be cured of being a mutant in order to cure the t-mist problem.

Of course I can.  Gambit is still an Xman so he is still within the realm of people that the statement could be aimed at.  And there were plenty of fans who read that statement and thought it was about Gambit on here and at CBR.

I am not saying you could guess exactly what it meant but you could like several of us refuse to to buy until you were sure.  We've all been burned by Marvel enough to proceed with caution.  I read the book in the comic store, put it back without buying it and then bought some Lucifer TPB.

Anyone running out the minute a comic comes out with an alleged Gambit guest appearance is asking to be disappointed.  How many times are you guys going to fall for this?  It's insanity at this point so sorry I have no sympathy for someone that continues to do this.  Now if you are someone that hasn't read comics the past decade or two and has been completely out of the loop regarding Gambit and Marvel then sure maybe I feel sorry for you that you were duped.  But everyone in this thread has seen this go on long enough to know better and frankly if I am Marvel and Gambit fans keep running out and buying Gambit guest appearances no matter how many times I disappoint them then I will keep doing it until they hold themselves accountable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:29:09 PM by remydat »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
I actually didn't run out and buy it. I indeed waited to see what was happening, but I don't blame people who did for being upset. And there are lots of people who just pick up what looks interesting and don't follow sites or interviews. They don't have to have not been reading for ten years, just don't know about what editorial has been saying.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
Well to each his/her own then.  I blame them.  If you just pick up what randomly looks interesting then you better be prepared that sometimes it's not going to be what you anticipated. 

However I don't see any of those people in this thread.  I just see people who once again should know better by now.  Comics aren't a necessity. No one is going to be extremely disadvantaged if they wait to buy.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2016, 01:08:14 PM »
UNCANNY AVENGERS #9
GERRY DUGGAN (W) • PEPE LARRAZ (A)
COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH starts now!
• ULTRON IS BACK! BUT THIS TIME, HANK PYM IS IN CONTROL--OR IS HE?
• The taming of Ultron creates unexpected complications and divides the Unity Squad.
• And...Rogue meets Gambit. We promise.
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:30 PM »
UNCANNY AVENGERS #9
COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
• The taming of Ultron creates unexpected complications and divides the Unity Squad.
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
UNCANNY AVENGERS #9
COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

Whatever ....  It won't get me to put this book on a pull list.  While I may pick this up, I'll be in no hurry to do so because in the end, I don't care if Rogue meets Gambit.

Edit:RSGambit was thieving so there is auto drama with that even though UA looked the other way. They didn't know it was him so again more auto drama. Not to mention RSGambit not allowing a kiss and basically said she had cooties. Not seeing this as going well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:34:22 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
What do they mean "meets"?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Who knows what Duggan means, but its better than Rogue meats Gambit......

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2016, 05:52:44 PM »
Lol, great pic Spoonz)

Gambit will have 2 pages by Rogue telling him what a creep he is.

Then Autumn solications will announse that Gambit is returning and it all was Rogue's fault. So we will meed 3 more monthes to read a few pages of Gambit.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
I am and always was a Romy fan. It is sad that I am not excited and don't care at all about them in one issue right now. I think I was really upset by Duggan with issue 5.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:06:08 AM by purplevit »

Offline jsremy

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend