Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098219 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #600 on: January 29, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
He just looks ridiculous and not dangerous with that cap.
We need to get rid of it asap.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #601 on: January 29, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
I said it on CBR (I swear they lockup or delete one more post I'm done there. If I wanted to live in facist state I'd live in America... Wait a minute), if this an any clue that Gambit may be in Weapon-X, I wonder which one it will be. The clumsy push over that throws firecrackers or the guy that's taken down Super Skrulls, Wolverine, Sabertooth, GLADIATOR and took on the whole Starjammer crew solo?

Pak is writing and he did do an OK job with him during Storm's book, but people tend to lean when they have more than one toy. I have to admit. As much as I love Gambit, he hasn't been calibur of character he started out as.

forgot to add "Gladiator" to his list

The problem is that Amsus wasn't writing him as the guy that's taken down Super Skrulls, Wolverine, Sabertooth, GLADIATOR and took on the whole Starjammer crew solo.

I loved Gambit/Hawkeye story in A+X but Gambit wasn't able to stop some frog monster with 52 charged cards. Asmus never showed his true agility or h2h skills in solo either.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #602 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
The problem is that Amsus wasn't writing him as the guy that's taken down Super Skrulls, Wolverine, Sabertooth, GLADIATOR and took on the whole Starjammer crew solo.

I loved Gambit/Hawkeye story in A+X but Gambit wasn't able to stop some frog monster with 52 charged cards. Asmus never showed his true agility or h2h skills in solo either.

No he didn't. He wrote Gambit in more of swashbucking Indiana Jones' style. He didn't have many instances to let the other side out, but again, he wrote within the vein he was allowed. The Gambit I'm referring to hasnt really been seen since like 96'. Asmus wrote a Gambit that was aware of how distracted he's gotten and how he was interested in rediscovering himself. Had he been able to finish out the run like he wanted, we may have gotten into more instances of Gambit being the Ragin Cajun.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #603 on: January 29, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
No he didn't. He wrote Gambit in more of swashbucking Indiana Jones' style. He didn't have many instances to let the other side out, but again, he wrote within the vein he was allowed. The Gambit I'm referring to hasnt really been seen since like 96'. Asmus wrote a Gambit that was aware of how distracted he's gotten and how he was interested in rediscovering himself. Had he been able to finish out the run like he wanted, we may have gotten into more instances of Gambit being the Ragin Cajun.

17 issues is more then enough time to find a place to show his skills.

Issues 8 and 14 were the lowest for me.
I would change 8 or 14 for an issue with Gambit vs Dozen of Ninjas or mindless action anytime.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #604 on: January 29, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
The thing about mindless action is you can't realize write it if you don't know how long your book is going to last. Marvel could have canceled Gambit at any moment. Asmus needed to tell a story. Whether it was the complete one he wanted to tell or not, he didn't have time to waste with splash pages and fight scenes.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #605 on: January 29, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
17 issues is more then enough time to find a place to show his skills.

Issues 8 and 14 were the lowest for me.
I would change 8 or 14 for an issue with Gambit vs Dozen of Ninjas or mindless action anytime.

I think you forgot he didnt know when his run was going to end. The last arc was just him tying up loose ends and it's the reason why we got like 2 or 3 filler issues in between arcs. It was all fly by the seat of his pants until he got direction. But yes, instead of that fairy land or Iron Patriot issues, I would have liked to see Gambit vs Ninjas.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #606 on: January 29, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
I think you forgot he didnt know when his run was going to end. The last arc was just him tying up loose ends and it's the reason why we got like 2 or 3 filler issues in between arcs. It was all fly by the seat of his pants until he got direction. But yes, instead of that fairy land or Iron Patriot issues, I would have liked to see Gambit vs Ninjas.

DARN YOU CC! GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!

You posted that while I was writing my post! That's it, I'm changing the locks...

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #607 on: January 29, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »

You posted that while I was writing my post! That's it, I'm changing the locks...

LOL nice. You left the keys under the mat and it was cold outside.. I made sure to put everything back where I found it.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #608 on: January 29, 2017, 05:13:50 PM »
I think Asmus knew how solo would end at the beginning or at least had a plan. At issue 14 we would have bo idea what was the main plot of this book.
After issue 16 it was clear that the whole run and main heists was to show that Gambit deserves to start his trial.

I remember in first interviews we Asmus told that in issue 6 we will see Gambit's telepathy resistance but in book we hadn't seen it.
I think it were supposed to be a scene where MI13 was doing Gambit's interrogation.
Also Asmus told that he cut out fighting scene from issue #2. I think he wasn't able to put everything in 20 pages.

But the truth is that if you write character as great h2h and agile then he always would be a great fighter in all arcs and you don't need to add 1 issue vs dozens of ninjas to show how good fighter he is.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »

Lol, at first I thought that it was Chris Claremont in your head ;D

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #610 on: January 29, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »

Claremont and I share the same first name and last initial. Similarities end after being X-Men fans though lol.
Who Dat

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #611 on: January 29, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »
LOL nice. You left the keys under the mat and it was cold outside.. I made sure to put everything back where I found it.

;D :D ;D :D ;D

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #612 on: January 30, 2017, 03:58:57 AM »

Not sure if that would be a good thing! (Having Chris Claremont in one's head). XD

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #613 on: January 30, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Not sure if that would be a good thing! (Having Chris Claremont in one's head). XD

He tends to fixate on women, and as a man, I've got that covered. No help needed.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #614 on: January 31, 2017, 05:44:36 AM »
Is the Monsters Unleashed thingy with Gambit out today?  I won't be able to pick it up before Friday, would anybody be able to tell us how it is if they read it?