Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098499 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #675 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
so a non Gambit fan writer can have him knocked out twice as quick...

Ok, that was fairly humorous.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #676 on: February 08, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
I think the point they were making is that it illustrates all the things that make Gambit great as well as his flaws.  Here he is going up against the iconic Captain America and he doesn't flinch.  He's the same cocky dude with the swagger that says to him he can take down the leader of the Avengers.  At the same time that cockiness and swagger is what ultimately leads to his defeat as he doesn't quite get the charge right to completely knock out Cap.

From an objective viewpoint, I can see their point and actually agree with it for the most part.  It's always bothered me a bit that Gambit seemingly knows the exact durability of his opponents to know that using 52 cards on Gladiator is going to merely knock him out rather than kill him outright.  No matter how skilled someone else, they can't really know the full limits of an unknown opponent.  So without knowing exactly how durable Cap is, it's entirely possible for him to get the charge wrong particularly if we assume that Gambit is going to err on the side of caution as he generally doesn't want to kill anyone.

Why I ultimately still hate this scene is how dismissive Cap is of Gambit.  I think at one point he's on the phone shooting the sh*t with Iron Man and he acts like Gambit is no real threat to him.  Considering Gambit could easily have gotten the charge wrong by putting too much in it, I think that attitude from Cap makes no sense as Cap could have easily been killed.

So I agree with the author's larger point but I think it ignores the fact that the scene is poorly executed.

With that said, we all know he also wasn't trying to kill Cap... at least, I don't think so, but I'm not sure how you can turn someone's shirt into a bomb and not expect to kill them (comic book logic). I'm not against him losing. It makes sense, and to be honest, the fight could have gone either way. However, I believe it would have made more sense for Gambit, who's only trying to slow Captain America down, to retreat once he detonated his clothes. Him getting knocked out like some chump was just jarring. Going a little further, Captain America has been around so long, he is an icon, but up until that point he was never some invincible force. That was amped up thanks to Marvel's success with the Avenger's movie. I just sucks the X-Men got the short end of the stick. Just like they are with the Inhumans (this crossover seems a bit better written). The X-Men seem to be the stepping stones for the company.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #677 on: February 08, 2017, 10:39:02 PM »
With that said, we all know he also wasn't trying to kill Cap... at least, I don't think so, but I'm not sure how you can turn someone's shirt into a bomb and not expect to kill them (comic book logic). I'm not against him losing. It makes sense, and to be honest, the fight could have gone either way. However, I believe it would have made more sense for Gambit, who's only trying to slow Captain America down, to retreat once he detonated his clothes. Him getting knocked out like some chump was just jarring. Going a little further, Captain America has been around so long, he is an icon, but up until that point he was never some invincible force. That was amped up thanks to Marvel's success with the Avenger's movie. I just sucks the X-Men got the short end of the stick. Just like they are with the Inhumans (this crossover seems a bit better written). The X-Men seem to be the stepping stones for the company.

Yes I agree his walking up to Cap without any sort of caution was pretty dumb.  I can at least pretend that is just Gambit being a bit to swaggerific there in thinking he won.  The way Cap acted like Gambit was no big deal, calling Iron Man during the fight or whatever it was is what was ridiculous as well as I would have liked to see perhaps a bit of an exchange at the end there before Cap took him down rather than the one punch KO.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #678 on: February 09, 2017, 03:23:29 AM »
GAMBIT Arrives for the Finale of ENEMY OF THE STATE II in ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #18

http://www.newsarama.com/33084-gambit-arrives-for-the-finale-of-enemy-of-the-state-ii-in-all-new-wolverine-18.html#s6

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #679 on: February 09, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »
Previews reminded me old Storm, Gambit and Jean story in X-Men Unlimited when they travelled to Cairo. Storm was fighting Candra and Gambit was fighting big invulnerable guy.
It was a good one shot.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #680 on: February 09, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
I like it with the big explosions, about time that Gambit gets shown to be really powerful! 

Shame about the last issue with him not really being in it though.  I didn't bother picking it up. 

So, Gambit's gonna fight beardy man then I guess?  Hope it's a good one and he doesn't get his butt handed to him.  It looks like this guy likes Gambit so hopefully he'll give him a decent showing when it comes down to fisticuffs. 

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #681 on: February 09, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
I like it with the big explosions, about time that Gambit gets shown to be really powerful! 

Shame about the last issue with him not really being in it though.  I didn't bother picking it up. 

So, Gambit's gonna fight beardy man then I guess?  Hope it's a good one and he doesn't get his butt handed to him.  It looks like this guy likes Gambit so hopefully he'll give him a decent showing when it comes down to fisticuffs. 

Beard guy is Roughhouse a Wolverine villain who sometimes teams up with Bloodscream

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #682 on: February 09, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
And this guy can counter Gambit's charge? I know nothing of this character ... just saw that Gambit's card was caught and no explosion.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #683 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Inconsistency of Gambit's powers... I doubt he charged that card for force ampiage. It should have exploded on impact, unless he's absorbing energy like Bishop and Shaw. But I don't know anything about him.

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #684 on: February 09, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
I did buy the issue All New Wolverine 17. I may do scans of later interior art if you folks want it. Let me know.

It was an alright issue - I thought the relationship between Remy and Laura was handled well. Overall, I feel like the trigger scent thing is bleh. It's like a rehash of Liu's run with it - maybe there will be a conclusion or something. But with Jean's help it may not be used again anyway. *shrug*

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #685 on: February 10, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
I did buy the issue All New Wolverine 17. I may do scans of later interior art if you folks want it. Let me know.

It was an alright issue - I thought the relationship between Remy and Laura was handled well. Overall, I feel like the trigger scent thing is bleh. It's like a rehash of Liu's run with it - maybe there will be a conclusion or something. But with Jean's help it may not be used again anyway. *shrug*

I thought that Gambit wasn't in the issue after that preview appearance?  Or were people just saying it wasn't very good?

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #686 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
He didn't do much but yes ... he was in a few more pages. And I thought what he did later worked for the story. Overall, maybe because he didn't do anything but stand guard that it wasn't deemed as much but it was in character in regards to Laura.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #687 on: February 10, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
Oh. Well I might still get it then.

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #688 on: February 10, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
I don't regret buying it .. if that helps. LOL

Offline Dantay