Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1095434 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #765 on: February 26, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
I kind of hope they do the first movie (provided it becomes a franchise), like Deadpool, in the sense that it's not a straight up chronological origin story. I hope they bounce around a little bit. Like maybe show Remy's involvement with the TG and then flash back to when he was a baby for a minute or flash back to when he was younger and the reason behind why he throws cards (I love that).

Introduce Sabretooth as the main villain, again hoping it'll be Schreiber because he would definitely bring some more star power to the film, which can't hurt. Then as the films transition from one to the other, we get reintroduced to Sinister and learn how fascinated he is with Remy's DNA. I doubt we'll ever get any of the New Son stuff, just like I doubt we'll ever see Deadpool and the Mithras story adapted. But there's more than enough story to make it a trilogy. And even if they decide not to go that way, I wouldn't be upset with getting a solo film and then have him added to the cast of the main x-films or the x-force films.

Who am I kidding? I'm ready for anything at this point.

I like idea with flashbacks. It worked great for Deadpool and was easy to move fast from comdey to action or drama moments.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #766 on: February 26, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Kind of keeping my fingers crossed that he has a falling out with Kitty or something.. drawing from that one IG post from Silva where she looks mad at him.. and then similarly to how Polaris recruited him for X-Factor, Emma Frost recruits him for Uncanny X-Men. Or whatever they want to call it.

I am not a big fan of Emma, really. And I don`t want her to lead team. She looks crazy

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #767 on: February 26, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
I like idea with flashbacks. It worked great for Deadpool and was easy to move fast from comdey to action or drama moments.

Yeah, I mean, it doesn't have to be exactly like Deadpool.. but I like the non-linear aspect of it.
Who Dat

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #768 on: February 26, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
I am not a big fan of Emma, really. And I don`t want her to lead team. She looks crazy

And that's fair... but I think if it works out the way I hope... she'll be forming a team because she knows she needs to round up a group of seasoned veterans to continue do the work she feels necessary, while also knowing the people she recruits can keep her in check. Psylocke and Polaris can do that. So can Havok (the only one she's been open with) and Gambit is a much better people person than a lot give him credit for.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #769 on: February 26, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
And that's fair... but I think if it works out the way I hope... she'll be forming a team because she knows she needs to round up a group of seasoned veterans to continue do the work she feels necessary, while also knowing the people she recruits can keep her in check. Psylocke and Polaris can do that. So can Havok (the only one she's been open with) and Gambit is a much better people person than a lot give him credit for.

RessurXion is trying to stay away from terrigen plot as much as possible.
Emma`s team will be reminding the bad times.

I would prefer X-Treme X-Men relaunch.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:06:14 PM by purplevit »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #770 on: February 26, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
RessurXion is trying to stay away from terrigen plot as much as possible.
Emma`s team will be reminding the bad times.

Yet it'd probably much more interesting excited than X-Men Blue or Gold appear to be
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #771 on: February 26, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #772 on: February 27, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
I like the flashback idea. There's been enough 'origin' stories and he doesn't really need one, being a mutant and all.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #773 on: February 27, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
For me his origin story was always more about Guilds war and  love with Bella and not about him being a mutant.

Mutant origin is mostly red eyes and that he was stolen from hospital.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #774 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
What if they make Sabretooth a recurring character? But that would assume that it gets more than one movie. The first movie and can be an origin movie, revolving around NOLA but by the final act of the movie is in Paris (or at least an equivalent, perhaps NY instead). The Genevieve story might be too convoluted if Belle is going to be present as an interest as well, so I guess the story can be tweaked. Perhaps Bella can accompany him on the heist (by choice or not), gets caught up and takes Genevieve's place as Sabretooth's captive. Now the question is, "who dies?" we follow the story and have Gambit save his brother or Belle? Being the cause or even involved in her death/murder would be enough to get him banished from NOLA imo, and even motivate a "death sentence" for him enough to be pursued by the Assassin's guild or at least a pissed off family member or two...

Assuming it gets a second movie, we could pick there, Gambit on the road alone and full brooding mode taking whatever job comes his way, powers flipping out all the way. He ends up taking up jobs he shouldn't and comes across a guy (Sinister) that can help him solve his issue and in return wants a errand run which does or doesnt lead to the Morlock Massacre and involves the Marauders or just Sabretooth. The final act would be him trying to stop what he initiated single handedly, which can undoubtedly very bloody and violent.

Yeah I guess it depends on how quickly they progress through his origins.  I figured the first hour to hour and 15 minutes would be the Thieves and Assassin's Guild and would end with the wedding and exile.  Not sure it makes sense to show that for the whole movie.  

Then the next hour to hour and 15 would be his wandering and encountering Genevieve and Sabretooth.  I would probably depart from the comics a bit and have all three being a part of the Heist team maybe with Scalphunter, Claire, and a couple of non-mutants.  At this point they mutants in the group are hiding their powers from each other unaware that others are mutants as well.  Gambit is the playboy of the group while Sabretooth secretly loves Genevieve.  Long story short a heist goes wrong and Gambit has to choose between saving Sabretooth and Genevieve and chooses Sabretooth because trying to save Genevieve would have been riskier and more dangerous with Sabretooth.  So he plays the odds in trying to save Sabretooth first.  At that point Sabretooth ends up revealing his mutant powers letting Gambit know he should have gone after Genevieve instead of him.  They rush to save Genevieve but arrive too late resulting Sabretooth attacking Gambit revealing Gambit's mutant powers and setting up their rivalry.  That could be the climatic battle as those two battle it out with Gambit eventually winning but still feeling incredibly guilty.

That could then set the stage for the second movie in which Gambit is a loner now and just does jobs on his own with his powers starting to flare out of control.  That is how he ends up with Sinister and in exchange for Sinister's help, Sinister asks him to lead a heist team to steal something of importance from some bad people.  This team includes Scalphunter and Sabretooth but Gambit still feeling guilty over Genevieve and indebted to Sinister decides to agree to this request and hence that is how he ends up aiding the Marauders only later finding out those alleged bad people were the Morlocks and then the big battle is him taking them all on to no avail.  The movie can end with him wounded and saving Marrow.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #775 on: February 27, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
Interesting... In either of our scenarios, the question is; "is the general audience willing to see the protagonist of a major movie not just fail, but royally faceplate and not simply lose but possibly nearly gutted?"
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #776 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:51 AM »
We know that Bella will be main love interest in it.

Genevieve story is my favourite Gambit story ever but I don`t want Genevieve/Bella in one movie. it will make Genevieve death not important at all.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #777 on: February 28, 2017, 04:12:27 AM »
Gambit`s wedding and exile must be a flashback or ending of the movie.

Remydat`s idea feels like 2 separated movies with different supporting characters.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #778 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Interesting... In either of our scenarios, the question is; "is the general audience willing to see the protagonist of a major movie not just fail, but royally faceplate and not simply lose but possibly nearly gutted?"

In a big budget blockbuster, probably not as those tend to be feel good movies.  In modest budget action thriller then I don't see why not as those tend to have more twists and turns.  As long as Gambit does his fair share of ass kicking then taking a loss isn't too bad.  In your scenario it could just be that he defeats Sabretooth but then isn't aware his healing factor.  In my scenario, he would be taking on all the Marauders by himself so he can have a good showing against them and still lose.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #779 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
We know that Bella will be main love interest in it.

Genevieve story is my favourite Gambit story ever but I don`t want Genevieve/Bella in one movie. it will make Genevieve death not important at all.

I don't know if you have enough material there for both of them to be standalone movies.  You could probably have an entire movie focused on New Orleans and the Guilds but I think the Genevieve story probably needs to be part of some larger story.  It's not a love story but essentially a story of a con man getting someone to fall in love with him in order to steal from her all ending in her death.  We don't care all that much in the comics because we barely knew Genevieve and she is simply a plot device to move Gambit's character along but in a movie devoted to this story where the character of Genevieve gets a lot of screen time, I think it would turn off audiences.