Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098520 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #1125 on: July 02, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Re: Deadpool kills...

It's a Deadpool Kills mini. Characters aren't going to exactly be shown in their best light. And yes, Gambit is a favorite of Bunn's.. so he's going to write him into his books any chance he gets. Even if it means killing him in an AU. It doesn't bother me at all.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1126 on: July 02, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
I know the Deadpool fan in you wants to defend this, but at what point did Bunn write Gambit in this? He wrote Gambit like Jubilee was in X1. Yeah she was there... If you know what scene to scan. This didn't look like the efforts of fan of the character. This did nothing for him outside of actually furthering the clowning of a character who really didn't need anymore help in that department. I wouldn't have had a problem with Gambit fighting and dying by Deadpool hands in a comic in which is the central point. That not what we got and that's not Bunn "writing" Gambit. The lack of visual authenticity doesn't help. What artist/colorist that supposed to work for Marvel within the X-office doesn't know Gambit's eye color?

You can be a Gambit fan and be cool with something like this but when it keeps happening... Supposed to be like, "oh well"? Well I guess yeah. Gambit the chump is common place now. Here's hoping that Soule writes him as being as competent as at least Squirrel Girl.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1127 on: July 02, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
Don't care about some alt mini where Deadpool kills everyone but if you will read Civil War II X-Men #4 you will never guess that writer likes Gambit.

Get his jaw broken by Mystique? It is ridiculous.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1128 on: July 02, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
Bunn didn't clown Gambit here and he didn't clown him in Civil War II either for that matter. Which I still have non problem saying I thoroughly enjoyed.  Sure, he's not being used as often as we'd like and for the most part hasn't been shown in the best light, but there are far worse occurrences recently than Civil War II to be hung up on. 

This new DP mini is exactly that. A DP mini. In an alternate reality nonetheless. My reaction would be the same if it were a "Wolverine Kills" or "Punisher Kills" or anything else of the same vein.  Should we expect backlash from Spidey fans when Wade fires a bullet in his head from point blank rage.. or from Cap or Cyclops fans when Wade finds some sadistic way to take them out in a mature rated, alternate universe comic with the words "Deadpool kills" in the title?  Bunn likes Gambit. So however he can fit him into a story he's writing, he'll do it. That's all there is to it. Anyway he can find a way to have a version of Gambit in his comics, he's going to find a way to do it. If he ends up writing Gambit into X-Men Blue, I guarantee it'd be fantastic.

I'm not defending the mini as a Deadpool fan because I'm not even going to buy it. I can't afford all the Deadpool books plus everything else I want to read, so I stick to the ones that matter. I'm defending Bunn as a writer who clearly enjoys sticking Gambit into his stories. Which I'm all for as a Gambit fan.

Being mad about the colorist and editor screwing up his eyes AGAIN is one thing. Being peeved about Gambit getting a whole page in a Deadpool Kills mini, where characters are dying left and right... eh.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1129 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Your looking at it from the small pic. It's just a mini, yeah duh. I see it as; Gambit hasn't looked good outside of the Asmus solo and in like handful of panels, not books or pages, panels. To the person picking up a book who isn't familiar with the character pre-Blood of Apocalypse is going to just know him as this. This is yet another negative on the Gambit brand. Which is not doing well. While X-Men seem to be rebounding he looks to be just holding on. I'd rather he not get used than be used like this.

I'm in marketing. I know how the human brain reacts to stimuli and what the result of conditioning can do. Anybody remember what happened to Ja Rule's career? Or Sony Pictures a couple years back? Bad marketing. 50 Cent, a giant in hip-hop at the time continuously dragged Ja Rule and Murda Inc through the mud for months maybe even years to the point they became a running joke in the industry. Sony's professional name got tarnished due to a hack that exposed hundreds of unsavory emails. They almost went bankrupt. All that bad publicity that just wouldn't go away. It was worse in Ja Rules case because he never recovered (same story with Cannibus and Eminem. Who the hell is Cannibus? Exactly LOL), while Sony Pictures is as healthy as ever.

I'm not complaining about this piece of straw, I'm annoyed by the bail hay on his back. And no, the Civil War showing didn't blow me away but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Still don't by him being KOed by Mystique, but whatever...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:48:01 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1130 on: July 03, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »
I understand where you guys are coming from.. like I said over at CBR, I just really don't think THIS instance is one to lose sleep over. That's all. Everything else that's gone on.. from X-Men Gold to not coming back in Uncanny Avengers to his eyes still never being the right color to Peter David's juvenile comments.. that's all fair game and completely annoying.

And I definitely understand human reaction to stimulus and conditioning... 8 years of psychology and mental health schooling will do that to you. So for newer readers.. when they see THIS type of Gambit over and over.. it's what they come to expect. And it sucks, I agree. In the big picture, it stinks that this is what it's come to. Letting an appearance in a mini series about Deadpool Killing every single Marvel Universe character get to us even more about it isn't worth it.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1131 on: July 11, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
For some reason pic is seen not full on forum)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:32:31 PM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1132 on: July 11, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
female Gambit huh? try a link?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1133 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
female Gambit huh? try a link?

Ofcourse) Everyone who wants to see full pic will find a link ;D

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #1134 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »
Astonishing X-Men #1 comes out tomorrow. The (horrible) Jim Cheung cover: $5. A Gambit/Rogue Artgerm variant cover: $125. A Jim Lee classic cover with Gambit, among others: $1,200.

I really despise Marvel.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1135 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Astonishing X-Men #1 comes out tomorrow. The (horrible) Jim Cheung cover: $5. A Gambit/Rogue Artgerm variant cover: $125. A Jim Lee classic cover with Gambit, among others: $1,200.

I really despise Marvel.

That is ridiculous. I used to collect variants, now, I can't even think about it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1136 on: July 18, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
 ASTONISHING X-MEN #4CHARLES SOULE (W) • CARLOS PACHECO (A/C)Character Variant Cover by ADI GRANOVA
MONSTER IS LOOSE IN LONDON. HIS NAME IS LOGAN.• Psylocke, Bishop and Angel are all that stand between a mind-poisoned Logan and a mountain of corpses.• Rogue and Gambit consider their options.• Fantomex and Mystique get the party started.• And somewhere, the Shadow King laughs and laughs…32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

And Gambit variant

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDMvNTcxL29yaWdpbmFsL0FTVFhNMjAxNzAwNF9HcmFub3ZfQ292LmpwZz8xNTAwMzk2OTE5
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:24:30 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1137 on: July 18, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
Not sure why its printing so small but I fixed it Purp. I think if that keeps happening open a doc and paste, adjust the size and then copy and paste.

Anyway - sounds interesting. Guess we'll see. :)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1138 on: July 18, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
#1 is out tomorrow, right?

I think that'll go a long way in telling us how Gambit is going to be portrayed for the following 11 issues.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1139 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »
Yes, #1 is out tomorrow 7/19/17. :) I agree, it will be our first look and we'll see what we'll be getting as it were.