Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098509 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #1155 on: July 28, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
That has always been a concern of mine. That they think his eyes will be off putting or confuse the audience because he looks "evil" or something. It's why they didn't do it in Wolverine Origins. But times have changed. And you're right about Deadpool being ugly and not to mention his eyes are just white when he is in full costume. Ever since Channing Tatum was announced to play Gambit I've asked girls who are fans of his what they would think if he was in a superhero movie and he had the black and red eyes. If it would bother them. And they have all said no and in fact most said it sounds kind of "hot". So there should be no reason not to do it at this point.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1156 on: August 03, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
Came across this on my phone update tab; http://www.xavierfiles.com/

...Got to the section that displayed the end pages from Uncanny X-Men #350. Reminded me why so much of you guys detest Rogue. Also reminded me how hamfisted the writers were for writing that action in the story, which just didnt make any sense. If they had used a narration box to explain she was still under the effect of her powers (absorbing Gambit's self hatred), it may have been a lighter hit. But that was inserted after the fact when editorial (remember when editors had the power the do that?! lol) forced them to put him back in the books due to fan demand (remember when fan demand meant something to Marvel!?). What a @#@$$. Left him to fend for himself without even a shirt and wearing metal boots!? In the snow!? And she dropped him! "I wouldn't let you die in there", no, that'd be too swift and basically painless. Die slowly and dreadfully out here in a frozen wasteland. Man @#@$ the X-Men... Not a single one of them even asked what happened to him? like;

"Hey, thats messed up... I cant wait to have words with the Cajun" - Wolverine

"Well he's not here"

"Where is he?"- Wolverine

"Think Rogue left him there..."

"Where?" -Wolvie

"In Antarctica."

"So... uh dead then, right?"

"Nah he was alive..."

"...someone gonna go get him?"

"I dunno... maybe"

"... ??? "

"what?"

"Well, I guess his armor has thermo gear..."

"..."

"What? No gear?"

"He had pants..."

"Well #@$# it."

"Yeah, that's what we said on the way back."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:43:03 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1157 on: August 04, 2017, 02:53:59 AM »
If they had used a narration box to explain she was still under the effect of her powers (absorbing Gambit's self hatred), it may have been a lighter hit.

They should just make Rogue eyes red and black.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:21:12 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1158 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
That would have been too easy IMO, but a narration box having Gambit's thoughts in it while she flew away or spoke to him would have absolved the situation better, especially if he condemned himself and accepted it. It was an emotional moment that the writers didn't take advantage of. Instead just wrote Rogue being an irrational @#@!$ and uncharacteristically leaving him to die.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1159 on: August 04, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
The art showing Rogue with red/black eyes would have helped, agreed. Speech mannerisms would have helped as well.

She showed no signs what so ever. That was the sting.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #1160 on: August 04, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
In a way, they went hard in the opposite direction. During the trial proper, they had a little panel of Rogue, angry, with Gambit's eyes, and charging a card. When she leaves him, she has her own eyes again and is melancholy. It makes it seem like she is completely self possessed when she abandons him.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1161 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
The art showing Rogue with red/black eyes would have helped, agreed. Speech mannerisms would have helped as well.

She showed no signs what so ever. That was the sting.

I like this idea better than both. It's more subtle, which I think things like this should be. Let the reader wonder. But in this case they left us to make up our own story until it was explained later on. Having her say a couple words the way Gambit would, would have been a great find.

Offline deathsun

• Thief
« Reply #1162 on: August 05, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

Omega/Beyond Omega Level: Gambit by ComicsExplained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lzGd5vr58

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1163 on: August 05, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
LoL you beat me to it.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1164 on: August 06, 2017, 01:54:44 AM »
I was really skeptical about this video because every time this guy mentions Gambit he speaks about him in a very condescending fashion. He's obviously one of those "the 90s sucked"- people. But he did a good job on the profile even while taking a couple expected jabs at him.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1165 on: August 06, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
Fine video. I liked it

Offline deathsun

• Thief
« Reply #1166 on: August 06, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »
I agree that he doesn't like 90s era but did well with Gambit. He didn't give information about Witness, telephatic resistance etc. but thats good for people to learn about Gambit's potential.

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #1167 on: August 06, 2017, 05:30:38 PM »
He's actually a 90s guy. Got into comics with the X-Men. I checked his Twitter when he did the poll for this and he seemed pretty into Gambit.

I think the condescending stuff comes from him being anti-Fox. He gets hyped about DC stuff but he's kinda unhype about Marvel too (except for the Marquis of Death video).

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1168 on: August 06, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
He's actually a 90s guy. Got into comics with the X-Men. I checked his Twitter when he did the poll for this and he seemed pretty into Gambit.

I think the condescending stuff comes from him being anti-Fox. He gets hyped about DC stuff but he's kinda unhype about Marvel too (except for the Marquis of Death video).

I'm not basing my opinion of him on this video. I'm subscribed to the channel and I've heard him take jabs at Gambit several times. I even asked what his objection to him was. Didn't get an answer but I wasn't expecting one. It's why I'm shocked the video was a good as it was, but you can tell his real feelings about the character if you cut through the BS. To be honest, getting into comics during the 90s doesn't make you a "90s fan". It just meant your started reading around that particular era... He's not all bad. He's got a childlike enthusiasm. He gets excited over even the new Marvel books and has some sjw tendencies (the stuff that's killing Marvel?). But his passion and ability to narrate are undeniable. I enjoy his stuff. But no, if you're a regular viewer you know he's not much of a Gambit fan. Which is fine.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1169 on: August 07, 2017, 07:50:23 AM »
He gets excited over even the new Marvel books and has some sjw tendencies (the stuff that's killing Marvel?).

I see a topic or new thread .... LOL