Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098402 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #1545 on: May 17, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »

They recently introduced a thing where you can mark certain characters as a favorite and so I immediately marked the 3* Gambit as a fav. Then, I played a VS match and won a special recruit token when the match expired and that unlocked him for me. I've done that a few times and unlocked different powers for him that way. Idk if anyone else has gotten that to work

Cool! Maybe I will try it again

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #1546 on: May 17, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
In 2018 alone, Gambit's been in 4 books. I'd say that beats the limbo years that we were getting in previous times.
Red this week was a good issue, remember Gambit's story is very isolated at the moment, so time will tell when the dots join. Out of the 3 core X-Books, this is by far the best series.

Just skimmed through the Wedding Special. I guess at the very least, Guggs had enough respect for Remy to have him in the bachelor party and involved in the festivities in the wedding issue to come. Most snobbish (anti-90s) writers would ignore Gambit, and have him sidelined. But Wedding Specials are what they are, I don't like weddings in real life or wedding specials on TV, so you know, it is what it is lol. It's a happy occasion, not much room for epic battles and drama. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1547 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »

Jesus no theres no need to delete anything, and nothing anyone has ever said on here has made me uncomfortable anyway. More so, no one has anything to apologize for. i was going to say something sooner or later it was just that comment that made me vent, and like i said before i didn't mean to single you out specifically. Ive always viewed you through your posts as positive and maybe when i seen you on a downer i vented. Every fandom out there is the same when it comes to characters they love. Ive been trying to look at the positives and be positive and then i log on here and its like whats the point in posting any of that. im not telling anyone how to feel, vent away, be negative if you want its an open forum, that's whats great about this community, you can vent and people here are still respectful. Stuff has been so negative here regarding the writing or the movie maybe no one noticed and pointing it out may get people to look on the bright side and feel positive again, i dont know but i feel better after venting
Venting is fine, there is something therapeutic about it.  I'm glad you are feeling better too. :)

I'm beyond Gambit is in stuff phase. A panel here or there or poor choice of wording in the writing of Gambit is disappointing. Having Gambit in multiple books creates awareness for the character and that is a good thing.

I suppose pointing it out helps but tbh - I've wasted money on characters I absolutely loathe and have done my best to keep my tone as close to being in the middle as I can. We're talking months of reading about one specific character that I made a pack with myself to never spend another dime on ever. What really happened in that book was support for the character I don't like at the expensive of the one I do like. That is hard to take on a monthly basis.

When I actually get a book where my favorite is close to anything like he should be and what do I read, how horrible he was in the appearance, yet the other book for which not one person can actually list what Gambit did that was so fantastic is just the greatest thing since (insert whatever that greatest thing is here).

Normally, I feel very positive when it comes to Gambit but I'm getting nothing but a relationship that I dislike, poor choice in dialogue and others negativity in the one book I actually like that so far doesn't do either of those things.

Balance would be nice, I suppose. And as I always say, if you are enjoying those things I don't like, that is great! Awesome, but this hobby is losing me because the character I enjoy the most is stuck in a rut.

I stand by my apology to all, for any perceived negativity or any other deemed slight.
edit: please everyone feel comfortable posting whatever opinion your have, don't let me deter you from giving your view on whatever topic you wish. :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:12:49 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1548 on: May 17, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
Since I was singled out, I'll say my peace and move on. If for some reason this is unacceptable, please alert me and I'll remove as many of my posts as possible.

@Dantay and all -

I'm sorry if I've made you or anyone else uncomfortable due to perceived negativity. Yes, its how one views a thing to attach an emotion to it.
I get the wanting the positives, hence I have decreased my postings. I will also continue to decrease my postings.

I don't Romy – and I'm choosing not to say anything more about that book. I've stated my positives when the book has been released.

As for boyo – should have used the sarcasm thingy but it was meant as not getting the character right. Legitimate critique, isn't it? If not, okay.

Apologies to all.

Neko, it is your Gambit home. You shouldn't decrease your postings.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1549 on: May 17, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
Venting is fine, there is something therapeutic about it.  I'm glad you are feeling better too. :)

I'm beyond Gambit is in stuff phase. A panel here or there or poor choice of wording in the writing of Gambit is disappointing. Having Gambit in multiple books creates awareness for the character and that is a good thing.

I suppose pointing it out helps but tbh - I've wasted money on characters I absolutely loathe and have done my best to keep my tone as close to being in the middle as I can. We're talking months of reading about one specific character that I made a pack with myself to never spend another dime on ever. What really happened in that book was support for the character I don't like at the expensive of the one I do like. That is hard to take on a monthly basis.

When I actually get a book where my favorite is close to anything like he should be and what do I read, how horrible he was in the appearance, yet the other book for which not one person can actually list what Gambit did that was so fantastic is just the greatest thing since (insert whatever that greatest thing is here).

Normally, I feel very positive when it comes to Gambit but I'm getting nothing but a relationship that I dislike, poor choice in dialogue and others negativity in the one book I actually like that so far doesn't do either of those things.

Balance would be nice, I suppose. And as I always say, if you are enjoying those things I don't like, that is great! Awesome, but this hobby is losing me because the character I enjoy the most is stuck in a rut.

I stand by my apology to all, for any perceived negativity or any other deemed slight.
edit: please everyone feel comfortable posting whatever opinion your have, don't let me deter you from giving your view on whatever topic you wish. :)

Thought I pressed post but I guess I didn't earlier. Boss lady you should feel as if your presence should be decreased for us or anyone to be more comfortable. That's nonsense. As a community perhaps we should learn to communicate better. We tend to get into circular conversations and repeat ourselves. It can get adversarial at times and encourage people to just not get involved in the conversations. We can do better. We shouldn't be posting less. We should be posting more, just in a more constructive manner.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1550 on: May 17, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
Thank you - every single one in this group .. we all are connected by Gambit ... and I do believe .... we're all good, as always. Agreed with everyone... I enjoy our community, even if we get a bit intense. I think all of you are amazing posters. :)

**Moving it forward, is this CoC game ... a computer game as in pc oriented or does it need another platform for play.

Thanks for explaining how to get Gambit, that probably works with other "rare" characters. I don't know if he's rare in the game or not. I don't play it but I think its interesting how people find the things they find. :)

Edit: being put in check from time to time isn't a bad thing. :) Sometimes I need a reminder of why I even do this. And yes, I'd rather be a cheerleader and find the good in everything than find fault.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:07:43 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1551 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
In 2018 alone, Gambit's been in 4 books. I'd say that beats the limbo years that we were getting in previous times.
Red this week was a good issue, remember Gambit's story is very isolated at the moment, so time will tell when the dots join. Out of the 3 core X-Books, this is by far the best series.

Just skimmed through the Wedding Special. I guess at the very least, Guggs had enough respect for Remy to have him in the bachelor party and involved in the festivities in the wedding issue to come. Most snobbish (anti-90s) writers would ignore Gambit, and have him sidelined. But Wedding Specials are what they are, I don't like weddings in real life or wedding specials on TV, so you know, it is what it is lol. It's a happy occasion, not much room for epic battles and drama.

Hey now, my wedding was dope. WifesW family spent waaaaaay too much money on it, but it was dope nonetheless. As for tv, the only wedding episode I tolerate is the infamous "A Different World" wedding episode. Perhaps "Boy Meets world" as well. Haven't picked up this week's red yet, but I hear good things. But I hear good things about the whole run and I still pick it apart. By all means it's the best X-Men title out, but there's so much room for improvement. I think Storm's inclusion and Gambit will make it more bearable. That pulling back on the virtue signaling. I get it, the political and social landscape sucks. Now lets get back to punching sentinels in the face.

I do look forward to Gambit getting his new uniform. I'm sure he's going to quip while pulling his coat over it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #1552 on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
I love weddings, I can't help it. Always have. And yes, I'll be watching at least part of the Royal Wedding on Saturday because why not, I'll be up anyway, thanks to stupid overtime at work. *shoots laser glares at bosses*

And Neko, don't feel you've got to censor yourself to appear more positive. This is, after all, *your* site and you should feel free to say what you want, even to vent. I've just noticed a general malaise around here is all (including from me!). I think we're all frustrated about different things to certain degrees, but I don't think we should lose heart. One of my favorite qualities that Remy has is his tenacity--if we lose that, if we lose heart, then Marvel wins. And we can't have that, now can we?

Thanks for keeping on all these years Neko--next year it'll be 20!--thanks for letting us have a place for intelligent, passionate discussions that don't veer into ad hominem attacks. The internet's often an insane, inane, scary place so it's nice to have a haven from the madness.

So, do we have confirmation Guggs is trolling us with the "boyo" thing? Should I bother tweeting him about it? I've gone from "annoyed" to "annoyed yeah, but kind of mystified."
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1553 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
Where did the boyo thing come from?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1554 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »
You know how xtas Gambit always said his name? Well Guggenheim has Gambit saying boyo just as annoyingly at the end of every sentence in Gold. Forget Cajun, I'm pretty sure that's not even North American.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #1555 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »

Hey now, my wedding was dope. WifesW family spent waaaaaay too much money on it, but it was dope nonetheless. As for tv, the only wedding episode I tolerate is the infamous "A Different World" wedding episode. Perhaps "Boy Meets world" as well. Haven't picked up this week's red yet, but I hear good things. But I hear good things about the whole run and I still pick it apart. By all means it's the best X-Men title out, but there's so much room for improvement. I think Storm's inclusion and Gambit will make it more bearable. That pulling back on the virtue signaling. I get it, the political and social landscape sucks. Now lets get back to punching sentinels in the face.

I do look forward to Gambit getting his new uniform. I'm sure he's going to quip while pulling his coat over it.

LOL! I'm sure your wedding was awesome :)

Speaking of Storm, I hear she's been getting poorly written of late, and I'm glad she's on the Red team. I actually really enjoyed #4, #1-3 were okay (not great) but this particular issue impressed me in a few parts. Gambit's involvement has really intrigued me, I have no idea where or how he fits in all this.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #1556 on: May 17, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
Oh and "Boyo" is an Irish saying.
Banshee used to say it a lot.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1557 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
And Neko, don't feel you've got to censor yourself to appear more positive. This is, after all, *your* site and you should feel free to say what you want, even to vent. I've just noticed a general malaise around here is all (including from me!). I think we're all frustrated about different things to certain degrees, but I don't think we should lose heart. One of my favorite qualities that Remy has is his tenacity--if we lose that, if we lose heart, then Marvel wins. And we can't have that, now can we?
No ... we can't. Despite their whatevers ....we can learn from Remy - he is a survivor.

Thanks for keeping on all these years Neko--next year it'll be 20!--thanks for letting us have a place for intelligent, passionate discussions that don't veer into ad hominem attacks. The internet's often an insane, inane, scary place so it's nice to have a haven from the madness.
Holy s***! has it been that long???!!! I have loved it all .. every crazy thing and challenging moment.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:36:25 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline belay

• Guild Member
« Reply #1558 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »

They recently introduced a thing where you can mark certain characters as a favorite and so I immediately marked the 3* Gambit as a fav. Then, I played a VS match and won a special recruit token when the match expired and that unlocked him for me. I've done that a few times and unlocked different powers for him that way. Idk if anyone else has gotten that to work

I did that too and it worked on multiple occasions. With the latest update it doesn't seem to work that frequently but I still I managed to get him to level 189 till now.

Offline dcgregorya

• Gambler
« Reply #1559 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »
I'm psyched for the movie and I really dug the mini.   Hopefully he'll be awesome in Red, that's the dream at least.   As a Gambit fan it's a bit tough to be positive because you get your hopes up, follow along for a few years and then just get let down hard and that's the rough part.   Things seem to be getting better though so fingers crossed :).