Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385870 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #675 on: March 30, 2016, 12:11:09 AM »
Eh Reynolds lobbied for years for a Deadpool film and it was a success.  Delays don't really matter as long as the movie is good.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #676 on: March 30, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
Eh Reynolds lobbied for years for a Deadpool film and it was a success.  Delays don't really matter as long as the movie is good.

True, but difference is Deadpool was a relative unknown. I don't think I have even one friend around my age and even older (32, only one in my circles that reads) that doesn't know the name Gambit (mostly thanks to animated series, seriously that thing made throngs of fans from nonreaders). He's much more of a house hold name and can even be considered a X-Men staple for a lot of people coming out of the 90s. No one wanted to take a chance on a no name comic book character totting a once thought to be unmarketable R rating. Reynolds wasn't getting a budget, casting, getting moved, delayed, and losing directors. It was just sitting on a shelf. The script is years old and only got minor changes before shooting. I'll temper my expectations on production but still hold hope as I'm looking forward to it, especially with Limen helming.

The director is taking other jobs, ordering rewrites, and recasting from scratch reportedly. Let's just wait and see how this turns out. Could all be for the better.

P.S. I tweeted Jon Schnepp to lighten up on us fans and he "liked" my tweet lol. Not sure if he's messing with me or not...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:38:26 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #677 on: March 30, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
So many emotions when it comes to any Gambit movie news :D, whether it be delays, casting or budget. I don't care when they start filming. I will start paying attention to the Gambit movie once they actually start producing content. There really isn't a reason why Fox can't pull out a good movie with the Cajun.
 I think they went against popular advice of introducing him in a full X-Men movie and  going straight to the solo film first.

It all remains to be seen, but I am more hopeful than apprehensive.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #678 on: March 30, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
More Gambit talk. For a bunch of guys that don't believe much in it, they sure like talking about it... But I guess there no such thing as bad press?

https://youtu.be/CL-8_aYJ2hg

But I'm not opposed to a scaling back of the project. The 150-200m tag always made me a bit weary. I've seen Limen work with a 70m budget (Bourne). He can do it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #679 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
True, but difference is Deadpool was a relative unknown. I don't think I have even one friend around my age and even older (32, only one in my circles that reads) that doesn't know the name Gambit (mostly thanks to animated series, seriously that thing made throngs of fans from nonreaders). He's much more of a house hold name and can even be considered a X-Men staple for a lot of people coming out of the 90s. No one wanted to take a chance on a no name comic book character totting a once thought to be unmarketable R rating. Reynolds wasn't getting a budget, casting, getting moved, delayed, and losing directors. It was just sitting on a shelf. The script is years old and only got minor changes before shooting. I'll temper my expectations on production but still hold hope as I'm looking forward to it, especially with Limen helming.

The director is taking other jobs, ordering rewrites, and recasting from scratch reportedly. Let's just wait and see how this turns out. Could all be for the better.

P.S. I tweeted Jon Schnepp to lighten up on us fans and he "liked" my tweet lol. Not sure if he's messing with me or not...

My point is delays don't tell you anything about how successful a film is going to be.  There is plenty of reason for Gambit to be delayed.  Deadpool fundamentally changes everything about how they view films IMO and I think it is obvious they are completely rethinking their movie strategy.  So wouldn't be shocked if Gambit is seriously delayed or put on hold indefinitely as they try and focus on Deadpool and X-force.  Perhaps even deciding to debut Gambit in X-force first instead of a solo film.  Who knows.  In the end, all this angst and worrying is pointless.  It will come out when it comes out if at all and all that will matter is whether it was good or not.  All this other stuff is stuff that goes on in Hollywood from time to time.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #680 on: March 30, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
More Gambit talk. For a bunch of guys that don't believe much in it, they sure like talking about it... But I guess there no such thing as bad press?

https://youtu.be/CL-8_aYJ2hg

But I'm not opposed to a scaling back of the project. The 150-200m tag always made me a bit weary. I've seen Limen work with a 70m budget (Bourne). He can do it.

Their logic is pretty dumb.  No one was clamoring for Deadpool.  That is revisionist history as it took years for the movie to be made.  People only starting clamoring for a Deadpool movie once it was done filming and the marketing was so great.  So Deadpool blowing up completely invalidates all their crying about no one clamoring for a Gambit movie as it doesn't matter if they are or not.  All that matters is whether it ends up being a movie audiences want to see based on the marketing and the actual quality of the film.

The logic is dumb for the further reason that they talk about script issues and it being a mess when the fact is I don't think any of this is the result of the Gambit movie itself.  In a world prior to Deadpool, the script was said to be fantastic and a big budget Gambit movie to replace Wolverine as the star of the franchise perhaps made perfect sense.  In a world where the Deadpool movie was made for 56 million, was R-Rated, and made 740 million, a script that supports a bid budget Gambit film probably doesn't make as much sense.  That is not an indication that the Gambit film is a mess.  That is an indication that new information was provided to them and it obviously makes sense for them to revisit things because of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:26:59 PM by remydat »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #681 on: March 31, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
Well no one was "clamouring" for a Deadpool movie at first, but after the CGI test footage "leaked" with the caption reading along the lines of "test shot of proposed Deadpool movie Fox shelved" people went nuts. The fact that it basically hit the internet during SDCC helped I suppose. The thing spread like wildfire.

But I made the same point to Schnepp in my tweet. No one, NO ONE, asked for a Blade movie. And that thing changed the perception of comic book movies forever. It quite likely heralded in the whole genre into the new century.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:22:06 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline NewSun17

• Thief
« Reply #682 on: March 31, 2016, 10:36:56 AM »
It's funny, cause I thought Lyman was a better choice anyway, so I have no problem with him coming in and working on the script and pushing things back until he is ready. I don't understand why the budget is an issue for people. If the studio wants to spend money on blowing things up, then kaboom haters!

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #683 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
The problem with the budget is that Gambit, while we all love him, is not as well known as Wolverine, same as Deadpool. The general audience doesn't read comics, so they may have heard about characters, but they don't know them. The studio didn't trust Deadpool to do well, so they slashed the budget multiple times and it wound up making a ton of money. They did more than break even. On top of that, it looks good for it's budget. You could easily do the same for Gambit, but keep it PG-13, which is less risky.

Also, Liman was apparently rewriting Edge of Tomorrow while on set or something like that. He turned that movie into a masterpiece.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #684 on: March 31, 2016, 12:18:37 PM »
 That budget thing will drive me crazy. Noone knew who Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy were. Most people still do not know who Ant-Man is.

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #685 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
That budget thing will drive me crazy. Noone knew who Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy were. Most people still do not know who Ant-Man is.

But they are part of a recognizable brand, the MCU. People trust Marvel Studios to deliver a good superhero film. Fox has released a few stinkers over the years, and they're not as trusted when it comes to superhero movies. They're trusted more than WB, who failed when they put Snyder in charge of DCCU, meanwhile Fox is still trying gain people's love back.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #686 on: March 31, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
A big budget Gambit film can do well and a small budget Gambit film can do well.  It doesn't matter if something is well known or not as there are plenty of movies made that are original to the movies and hence have no built in audience.  They do well based on how well the project is made and marketed and how much Star power the leads have.  The brand recognition of a Wolverine or Gambit or X-men is obviously helpful but it's not a requirement.  

Deadpool didn't make a ton of money because he is a better known star than Gambit or Wolverine.  It made a ton of money because it was a well made and marketed movie.  I have never read a Deadpool comic and neither did the vast majority of my friends most of whom don't read comics period.  That's not what drives a film's success.  There wasnt a single person I know who gave a crap about whether Deadpool got a film or not.  The fans that care about stuff like that don't make a movie a success.

What makes a movie a success surprise surprise are the people actually involved in making and marketing it which is why collider and others that say stuff like this completely miss the mark. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:47:39 PM by remydat »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #687 on: March 31, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
Well no one was "clamouring" for a Deadpool movie at first, but after the CGI test footage "leaked" with the caption reading along the lines of "test shot of proposed Deadpool movie Fox shelved" people went nuts. The fact that it basically hit the internet during SDCC helped I suppose. The thing spread like wildfire.

But I made the same point to Schnepp in my tweet. No one, NO ONE, asked for a Blade movie. And that thing changed the perception of comic book movies forever. It quite likely heralded in the whole genre into the new century.

Which still proves my point.  No one gave a cap about a Deadpool movie until a piece of marketing created interest.  It was not some spontaneous clamoring.  This movie was made because Reynolds never gave up on it not because a bunch of people were clamoring for it.  Remove Reynolds and Fox likely would not have given a crap about this just like they didn't give a cap about a Gambit film until Tatum ie a movie star forced the issue.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #688 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
But they are part of a recognizable brand, the MCU. People trust Marvel Studios to deliver a good superhero film. Fox has released a few stinkers over the years, and they're not as trusted when it comes to superhero movies. They're trusted more than WB, who failed when they put Snyder in charge of DCCU, meanwhile Fox is still trying gain people's love back.

Exactly, but I'd disagree with your earlier statement of Deadpool and Gambit being similar. While Gambit isnt Wolverine, Wolverine wasn't Wolverine until Hugh Jackman got a hold of him. Prior to X1, people knew Wolverine in passing due to product placement, video games and advertising, but mainly because of the animated series. At that point, you could say the same about Gambit with a slight difference seeing as Wolverine was still the most popular character on that series (many would say Gambit was 2nd but no less than 3rd most popular). The seperation came when Gambit didnt make the cut for the 1st movie and then not even the 2nd (and thank goodness not the 3rd), sans a easter-egg name placement while Mystique was hacking Stryker's computer. But I digress; while Wolverine has stayed in the limelight since then, Gambit has been basically out of the public eye other than the small part in Origins and popping up in Evolution and the short-lived Wolverine and the X-Men series. However, from what I can tell from my co-workers and friends who have never picked up a single book (which is all of them), Gambit still has fans, as he's typically the 1st or 2nd name that comes up when talking about the 90s show. He doesnt have any new fans, probably very little under the age of 25-26 but those who were kids in the 90s watching Fox kids on saturday mornings still have him etched into a warm spot in their minds that pumps out the feel-good memories.

@NewSun17

The budget matters a lot and was making people nervous because of the possibility of failure is higher the more it costs to produce. If they spend 150m to make the movie and it only racks in 130m, 145m (domestic) or hell even breaks even, itll be seen as a flop. But if it does those same numbers and only costs 60, 70 or 80m to make and is critically acclaimed? Well, it's a success. Maybe not a resounding one, but it'll get a sequel and probably make another 50m on the back-end, not counting international sales.

I was onboard with the movie, still am, I'm defending it against naysayers and critics. However, I always had reservations about the budget and not introducing him in ensemble movie beforehand but it seemed like Fox was really worried about Jackman leaving and not having someone to fill the void. Limen directing helped a lot of my concerns because I'm a huge fan of his. I dont have a problem with Deadpool persay, but I dont believe he's a good fit as the main attraction of the XCU unless they are going for parodies.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #689 on: March 31, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
Which still proves my point.  No one gave a cap about a Deadpool movie until a piece of marketing created interest.  It was not some spontaneous clamoring.  This movie was made because Reynolds never gave up on it not because a bunch of people were clamoring for it.  Remove Reynolds and Fox likely would not have given a crap about this just like they didn't give a cap about a Gambit film until Tatum ie a movie star forced the issue.

Yeah... I wasnt trying to disprove your point. I was just kind of commenting. We're in agreement.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:03:21 PM by DonPriceTag »