Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385577 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #795 on: December 15, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
"feature film approach to television,"

I guess "feature film approach" can also mean; money and time. And since "time" means money in the film/tv industry, the show may have been more expensive with him at the helm.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #796 on: December 15, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »
I guess "feature film approach" can also mean; money and time. And since "time" means money in the film/tv industry, the show may have been more expensive with him at the helm.

Well here is the direct quote.  Again the main issue was the first season had a budget of about 3.75 million per episode.  Darabont obviously delivered on that as Walking Dead became AMC's biggest commercial hit and then AMC responded by cutting the budget by about 500k per episode.  And all AMC did with that savings was pocket it as profit.  You would think with a successful show, they would reward the people involved but instead they opted for a money grab.  AMC is notorious for doing this as the creator of Mad Men doesn't even talk to the guy in charge over at AMC anymore because they had a falling out.  AMC simply can't get rid of him because they co-own Mad Men.  Whereas for Walking Dead, they own it outright.  Their killing off of characters on the show also has the added effect of making it difficult for the actors to fight for a bigger piece of the pie because they can simply be killed off and replaced with cheaper actors.

An agency source says Darabont is "notoriously a pain in the ass" known for "taking a feature-film approach to television," which is meant to suggest that he didn't manage the brisk pace of television well. But an insider says Darabont's approach was what made Walking Dead special. "Frank fights for the show," says an insider. "He doesn't just do what the network wants him to do. … He's a filmmaker, and that's why the show was as good as it was." Sources with ties to the show insist it was on schedule and on budget.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
Not much in the way of News, but Forbs mentioned it during an article about the state of the Fox X-Men movie franchise.

"...While Hugh Jackman may be finished with Wolverine, the successes of Deadpool and Logan have established a template going forward. Take a fan-favorite character, do a deep dive into a specific genre, keep the budget under $100 million and go for a fan-friendly R-rating. Under these circumstances, a $70m, R-rated Gambit movie, with Channing Tatum having Thomas Crown Affair-ish sexually-charged capers, might be a smart idea. Just make sure the film is tilted toward the female gaze, with that R-rating coming from male nudity from the Ragin' Cajun. It would certainly align with the unique model that served Logan and Deadpool so well-"

Full article here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/03/21/thanks-to-logan-and-deadpool-the-x-men-franchise-has-an-identity-crisis/#1cd2067c56eb
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #798 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
I agree with that right up until they said the film needs to please the female gaze.  I mean yeah sure, show off Tatum's abs to the ladies or whatever but come on, Gambit has male fans too.  If you make the films USP that women like Channing Tatum then this is just going to be Superhero Magic Mike and seriously, that's not a good formula.  

If you make the entire film a sexy crime/heist thriller with superheros that appeases BOTH sexes then it's win/win.  Why does it have to be one or the other?

I mean, look at Asmus' solo.  He gave both the boys and girls eye candy, it was great.   

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #799 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
I agree with that right up until they said the film needs to please the female gaze.  I mean yeah sure, show off Tatum's abs to the ladies or whatever but come on, Gambit has male fans too.  If you make the films USP that women like Channing Tatum then this is just going to be Superhero Magic Mike and seriously, that's not a good formula.  

If you make the entire film a sexy crime/heist thriller with superheros that appeases BOTH sexes then it's win/win.  Why does it have to be one or the other?

I mean, look at Asmus' solo.  He gave both the boys and girls eye candy, it was great.   

Yeah, I get the intentions, but the whole "tilted toward the female gaze"- thing isn't what I'd  want either. A steady balance is a better path IMO. If they do go the "70mil" route, I would have loved to see Doug Liman take on it. But there's more going on than just "scheduling conflicts". There's talk of a feud or disagreement between Liman and a new Exec that came in right around the time he was getting ready to re-write the script.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #800 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »

or his fight and interaction with Daken that was awesome

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #801 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
Tatum is a male fan. No way he will make a Gambit movie just for ladies.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #802 on: March 22, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
Tatum has made Magic Mike movies. And who do you think the target was for those? LOL

But I agree, the Gambit film should be more balanced for the male and female audience.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2017, 04:58:36 PM »
My hope is that Fox won't be stupid enough to target mainly women.  They should know that they'll be alienating half of their potential audience that way.  Plus don't forget that some guys would see it just because it's a superhero film or it looks good, even though they're not necessarily fans of Gambit, but they'd be turned off it was targeted towards women.  Heck, I'm really not a Wolverine fan but Logan looked awesome so I went to see it. 

You know, it's a shame that John Wick already did what it did and that Deadpool got its director. That would've been immense for a Gambit film! 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #804 on: March 22, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
So Deadpool was modeled after a black comedy. Wolverine after a Western. And Gambit may be a thriller ala 90s like the Thomas Crown Affair or sexually charged like Basic Instinct? Would something like that be better than something in the vein of Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #805 on: March 22, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Mr and Mrs Smith was okay but a bit too silly for Gambit to borrow it's tone. But I think definitely for the way that it catered to both male and female audiences, with Pitt and Jolie  the Gambit movie could use that.

How about The Man from U.N.C.L.E?  Even the remake wasn't awful. I know it's spy stuff but put a bit of thievery in there and it's good stuff for Gambit?

But definitely a thriller vibe yes, high stakes danger stuff. Like mission impossible meets oceans eleven?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:23:13 PM by Spoonz »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #806 on: March 22, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
I think more of a James Bond feel without all the tropes of that franchise. :)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #807 on: March 24, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
James Bond isn't a bad reference. But Basic Instinct comes first to mind when it comes to the feel of the movie I hope Gambit goes for.
Who Dat

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #808 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
Basic instinct might be a little too dark.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #809 on: March 28, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
Basic instinct might be a little too dark.

oh yes, but I didnt mean in tone but content... but you're probably right. Basic Instinct may be a bit of stretch, however when I did a search on Netflix for the Thomas Crown Affair, Basic Instinct came up as "related". But I agree, it's little further right on the spectrum than the Thomas Crown Affair.