Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385512 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #900 on: August 01, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
Noone says that Gambit is a killer or should be a killer.
I was saying that Gambit explosives must be dangerous so I added a few posts ago link from X-Factor where Gambit always throws cards near enemies.

I hated Origins when Gambit threw deck of cards into Logan and it did no damage even to his clothes. He was just thrown through wall.

I doubt that Gambit will throw a lot of cards in movie but as for me they must be like grenades. He may throw them only in cars, near people or into robots but they must make big damage.

That's the funny thing about Gambit's powers. What we saw in origins is actually within the scope of his abilities. Increasing an object kinetic potential doesnt necessarily mean "explosion". There are levels to his charging abilities. Look at his staff. Gambit charges his staff on numerous occassions, but not to explode. Increasing its kinetic potential allows him to hit an object with many times the force than he's physically capable of. When he charges a card it doesnt have to explode, but the explosion itself isnt because of it's stuffed with C4. The force coming from it a result of outward momentum, the molecules within the object moving away from each other violently creating an explosive reaction. For instance, he once charged a cage of basketballs and knocked it over. They werent moving at super speed, but once they made contact with a frenzied mob, it knocked everyone down and away like they all pushed back by firehose. Wolverine in the movie went through the wall 1; because he's effing heavy. 2; because of the applied force from the charged cards being thrown and making contact, not due to explosion. In a way, Gambit can turn his cards into razor blades, much like what happened when he threw a hand of them at Bullseye... he caught them and threw them back (still charged) and they sunk into his armored arm like they were made of metal.

And yeah purp, I get you. I responded to those pic by pointing out how the enemies are being blown away, not up. I would think that's on purpose seeing how much control he has over his powers. Gambit isn't out to kill anyone, but he also isn't allergic to the result, especially if the target has bad intentions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:51:35 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #901 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »

That's the funny thing about Gambit's powers. What we saw in origins is actually within the scope of his abilities. Increasing an object kinetic potential doesnt necessarily mean "explosion". There are levels to his charging abilities. Look at his staff. Gambit charges his staff on numerous occassions, but not to explode. Increasing its kinetic potential allows him to hit an object with many times the force than he's physically capable of. When he charges a card it doesnt have to explode, but the explosion itself isnt because of it's stuffed with C4. The force coming from it a result of outward momentum, the molecules within the object moving away from each other violently creating an explosive reaction. For instance, he once charged a cage of basketballs and knocked it over. They werent moving at super speed, but once they made contact with a frenzied mob, it knocked everyone down and away like they all pushed back by firehose. Wolverine in the movie went through the wall 1; because he's effing heavy. 2; because of the applied force from the charged cards being thrown and making contact, not due to explosion. In a way, Gambit can turn his cards into razor blades, much like what happened when he threw a hand of them at Bullseye... he caught them and threw them back (still charged) and they sunk into his armored arm like they were made of metal.

And yeah purp, I get you. I responded to those pic by pointing out how the enemies are being blown away, not up. I would think that's on purpose seeing how much control he has over his powers. Gambit isn't out to kill anyone, but he also isn't allergic to the result, especially if the target has bad intentions.

The same kinetic potential was shown in Gambit short with Daken. If they will use similar visual skills for movie then we will see even more scenes in comics where Gambit's explosions don't do any damage to Cap and others.

Also remembered Gambit vs Daken fight from comics when Remy blow up Daken's hand.
If Assassins would have powers in movie then I hope someone will be able to regenerate to use similar scene on him.
It was a really cool moment that shows how dangerous Remy's powers are.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #902 on: August 01, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
But that's my point. Because he's not defined by his powers and what they are capable of, the use of them does not denote the necessity or even the need for the movie to be Rated-R while in use of said powers. Just because he can, doesnt necessarily mean he should or world. Gambit has more potential to be deadly than he actual is. I think because he shows off what they are capable of, combined with how he carries himself, his red eyes and words, he bluffs more than threatens. He's hoping you take his warning, rather than wishing you wouldn't.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #903 on: August 01, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »
Whoa, a lot to attempt to respond to.

purplevit, we are pretty much on the same page here. I was just trying to make a joke about how no one stays dead in the comics.

DonPriceTag, I don't mean to take things personally but when you say things like, "It's much bigger than you all think", "If any of you think otherwise, you never understood his character", "I think you should get the idea of Gambit blowing people up in a live action movie, out of your heads." etc it seems at least partially directed at me because I'm bringing it up in my posts. Is anyone saying it'd be ok or a good idea to make it rated R due to the nature of his powers? All I have said is if they do go for an R rating I'd be interested in a scene where he kills a big baddie using his powers. That is a totally possible scene if the movie is R. I feel that his powers have to be represented in a lethal way so he doesn't come off useless like in Origins. R or PG-13 I think direct hits from charged objects should be fatal. In an R rated movie the scene would of course be more graphic. I've explained ways for them to use it in non-fatal ways.

I've already said, that I don't think the R rating is necessary and should probably just be PG-13. I'm just talking about the possibility of it getting an R and something I think would be interesting to see in the movie. Blowing up a bad guy in a fun R rated action movie is usually very satisfying. As far as the where the "Gambit never kills" thing came from... all I did was bring up the fact that Gambit's charged projectiles should kill mortal humans to establish how deadly he is. That was met with "Gambit's not a killer" or "he's not Deadpool or Wolverine". Never said he was. But I think it's reasonable to have him kill a bad guy or two to establish how strong his powers are. Especially now being introduced to him before he's even on X-Men or anything. I just really don't want to see him hitting bad guys with cards or whatever just knocking them down and they get back up. It makes him look weak. By the way this can be done in PG-13 or a more graphic R.

We can agree to disagree on how his powers were portrayed in Origins. I think they made him look like a chump. Totally useless against Wolverine who is a character in the movies known to get his ass kicked all the time. And I totally understand your point about Gambit's cards not exploding, but you're coming at it from a nerdy Gambit fan perspective. As we all do. But for general audiences they should probably give it some type of really interesting colorful explosion. Ya know, to help the average Joe's fully understand the powers. Also a visual that separates him from Wolverine and Deadpool. And to come back to a previous point, even without the explosion, the cards have the force to knock a 300lbs Adimantium skeletoned man across the room and straight through through a brick wall. Those cards should easily smash straight through a mortal man's chest leaving a pretty massive hole or just obliterating his entire upper torso(should've hurt Wolverine a bit more as well. Just a bit ;) ). I remember thinking that was a bit un-characteristic of Gambit.  Just because someone knows his name and knows something about his past, Gambit attempts to brutally kill them in public?

I don't think anyone is saying the movie needs to be R to properly portray Gambit's powers. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. So, I don't think that's something you need to worry about. If they wind up making the movie R it's probably due to sexuality/nudity and language like you said, and probably most blood and graphic violence would probably come from the villains. If that's the case I still can imagine a pretty satisfying bad guy death.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #904 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:06 AM »
So who should be big bad for frist movie?

Noone kne who Ajax from Deadpool was so I would go with Jullien with assassins and Candra.

Would love Sinister to appear only as Essex or villain from shadows.

Some marauders like Sabretooth or Scalphunter would be cool too. Sabretooth would alow to show Gambit`s powers in more brutal way because he can regenerate.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:35:04 AM by purplevit »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #905 on: August 02, 2017, 02:34:05 AM »
purplevit, we are pretty much on the same page here. I was just trying to make a joke about how no one stays dead in the comics.

Yeah, we have similar view on that one ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #906 on: August 02, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
Whoa, a lot to attempt to respond to.

DonPriceTag, I don't mean to take things personally but when you say things like, "It's much bigger than you all think", "If any of you think otherwise, you never understood his character", "I think you should get the idea of Gambit blowing people up in a live action movie, out of your heads." etc it seems at least partially directed at me because I'm bringing it up in my posts. Is anyone saying it'd be ok or a good idea to make it rated R due to the nature of his powers? All I have said is if they do go for an R rating I'd be interested in a scene where he kills a big baddie using his powers. That is a totally possible scene if the movie is R. I feel that his powers have to be represented in a lethal way so he doesn't come off useless like in Origins. R or PG-13 I think direct hits from charged objects should be fatal. In an R rated movie the scene would of course be more graphic. I've explained ways for them to use it in non-fatal ways.

I've already said, that I don't think the R rating is necessary and should probably just be PG-13. I'm just talking about the possibility of it getting an R and something I think would be interesting to see in the movie. Blowing up a bad guy in a fun R rated action movie is usually very satisfying. As far as the where the "Gambit never kills" thing came from... all I did was bring up the fact that Gambit's charged projectiles should kill mortal humans to establish how deadly he is. That was met with "Gambit's not a killer" or "he's not Deadpool or Wolverine". Never said he was. But I think it's reasonable to have him kill a bad guy or two to establish how strong his powers are. Especially now being introduced to him before he's even on X-Men or anything. I just really don't want to see him hitting bad guys with cards or whatever just knocking them down and they get back up. It makes him look weak. By the way this can be done in PG-13 or a more graphic R.

We can agree to disagree on how his powers were portrayed in Origins. I think they made him look like a chump. Totally useless against Wolverine who is a character in the movies known to get his ass kicked all the time. And I totally understand your point about Gambit's cards not exploding, but you're coming at it from a nerdy Gambit fan perspective. As we all do. But for general audiences they should probably give it some type of really interesting colorful explosion. Ya know, to help the average Joe's fully understand the powers. Also a visual that separates him from Wolverine and Deadpool. And to come back to a previous point, even without the explosion, the cards have the force to knock a 300lbs Adimantium skeletoned man across the room and straight through through a brick wall. Those cards should easily smash straight through a mortal man's chest leaving a pretty massive hole or just obliterating his entire upper torso(should've hurt Wolverine a bit more as well. Just a bit ;) ). I remember thinking that was a bit un-characteristic of Gambit.  Just because someone knows his name and knows something about his past, Gambit attempts to brutally kill them in public?

I don't think anyone is saying the movie needs to be R to properly portray Gambit's powers. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. So, I don't think that's something you need to worry about. If they wind up making the movie R it's probably due to sexuality/nudity and language like you said, and probably most blood and graphic violence would probably come from the villains. If that's the case I still can imagine a pretty satisfying bad guy death.

Purp and several of us have been talking about this for weeks now... I also believe your adding connotation or emotion to my posts where there is none. I promise you, there is no emotion on my part. I'm not being condescending, I'm talking. If I'm talking to you directly, you will know because I'll quote your statement. You're pointing out things I said in a prior a post AFTER I quoted you. My original post was addressing your statement about "not knowing if people read your posts", as you were assuming I was talking or referring to you. I was not. Not really. I really can't help you if you think I'm taking some sort of "shot" at you. I'm not but... again I cant do anything but say that "I'm not". I'm talking about how ratings work and how willing Gambit, the character, would be to use his powers to kill without cause along with what Fox is looking for in a Gambit character played by Channing Tatum (never brought up this thing about him needing to kill a villain... I don't see how that would be different from anything else we've seen, so it's basically a given). The kind of violence necessary for an R rating isnt what Gambit is... maybe for the short period in time before he turned into Mr. Romance, but he's been Mr. Remorse much longer. If you're not talking about what I'm talking about... why are you taking anything I'm saying to heart? Especially if I'm not quoting anything your saying? I'm not combative. I like discussion and the challenging of ideas. Nothing more. And the "r" rating as it relates to his powers, I wasn't the one that brought that up. Again, we've been going back and forth for months now, it may have been Purp that originally brought up the notion and then it was brought up again recently.

I also never mentioned my "feelings" about Origins. I merely talked about how his powers worked. If you must know, I hated X3 and Origins. Watched both once and will never watched either ever again. I think you may be reading too far into my posts?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:23:13 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #907 on: August 02, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »

Purp and several of us have been talking about this for weeks now... I also believe your adding connotation or emotion to my posts where there is none. I promise you, there is no emotion on my part. I'm not being condescending, I'm talking. If I'm talking to you directly, you will know because I'll quote your statement. You're pointing out things I said in a prior a post AFTER I quoted you. My original post was addressing your statement about "not knowing if people read your posts", as you were assuming I was talking or referring to you. I was not. Not really. I really can't help you if you think I'm taking some sort of "shot" at you. I'm not but... again I cant do anything but say that "I'm not". I'm talking about how ratings work and how willing Gambit, the character, would be to use his powers to kill without cause along with what Fox is looking for in a Gambit character played by Channing Tatum (never brought up this thing about him needing to kill a villain... I don't see how that would be different from anything else we've seen, so it's basically a given). The kind of violence necessary for an R rating isnt what Gambit is... maybe for the short period in time before he turned into Mr. Romance, but he's been Mr. Remorse much longer. If you're not talking about what I'm talking about... why are you taking anything I'm saying to heart? Especially if I'm not quoting anything your saying? I'm not combative. I like discussion and the challenging of ideas. Nothing more. And the "r" rating as it relates to his powers, I wasn't the one that brought that up. Again, we've been going back and forth for months now, it may have been Purp that originally brought up the notion and then it was brought up again recently.

I also never mentioned my "feelings" about Origins. I merely talked about how his powers worked. If you must know, I hated X3 and Origins. Watched both once and will never watched either ever again. I think you may be reading too far into my posts?

Listen, I am not adding any emotion to your posts. All I am trying to do is have a dialogue and address the idea that people feel the film should be R rated due to the nature of Gambit's powers and the idea people think Gambit's a killer using my own personal take on it. Personally, I think perhaps you are putting a bit of emotion in to my posts because I am talking to you directly. I'm just trying to understand your take on it that is still a little hazy TO ME. Trust me, it's all love in here for me and never did I feel like you took a shot at me. I just love talking about this stuff and I'm just trying to figure out your point on that it because it doesn't seem like purplevit feels that way either. Once again, just giving my take on things and certainly don't mean to come off like I've been slighted or disrespected or anything. Because I certainly don't feel that I have. :cheers:

Definitely my mistake about Origins. I thought you were defending how they portrayed Gambit's powers in that movie as a good idea. Which you were not. But take out that first sentence and it's still a decent point.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #908 on: August 02, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
Tatum has a new TV show on Amazon. He'll be busy at least until we actually do get some Gambit movie news. At this point, I'm not holding my breath.

It took a very long time before Deadpool was made ... who knows.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #909 on: August 02, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Tatum has a new TV show on Amazon. He'll be busy at least until we actually do get some Gambit movie news. At this point, I'm not holding my breath.

It took a very long time before Deadpool was made ... who knows.

It seems he is just voicing character for this show.
Well he is just an actor. If FOX will be able to start production at the beginning of 2018 then I think everything will be ok.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #910 on: August 02, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
Like I've said in the past.. the guy's gotta pay his bills in the meantime lol.

I'm confident the movie will happen. With Tatum.
Who Dat

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #911 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »
So who should be big bad for frist movie?

Noone kne who Ajax from Deadpool was so I would go with Jullien with assassins and Candra.

Would love Sinister to appear only as Essex or villain from shadows.

Some marauders like Sabretooth or Scalphunter would be cool too. Sabretooth would alow to show Gambit`s powers in more brutal way because he can regenerate.

Good question. I'm really not sure. It all depends on the story they decide to tell. If I had it my way, the movie would take place after Gambit had been exiled from the guild and is out on his own. I would tell his back story in flashback. I guess there could be some assassins after him for payback. Maybe a Julien brought back from the dead. I love the idea of Candra being involved. I definitely think there should be some sort of female villain because gambit shines when he has to deal with women especially foes. But the assassins after him wouldn't be his only challenge as I still like the idea of it being a heist thriller. Maybe some shady characters he has to work with and cast Bryan Cranston as Sinister to be the big baddie in the background(for now). Something along those lines. I like the idea of Sabertooth in it but I'm not sure if they would do that.

Hey Neko, are you not holding your breath for this movie to happen anytime soon or ever?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #912 on: August 02, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
You can't tell what's on the minds of these execs but if I were up there I'd start using Sinister. He's a puppet master. I'd give him his first appearance in Gambit and start connecting dots that would eventually wind up in an X-Men movie with a him as the headline villain. But in the case of this movie he wouldn't be known as Sinister. I'd utilize his shapeshifting for a reveal at the end. I'd have him be manipulating everything around him, possibly using the Externals as a motivation (have him chasing immortality). On the surface, make villain of the movie be members of the Assassin's Guild (to build up Gambit's world) but set Sinister up for a end credit or cliffhanger reveal.

Because of Tatum's age we aren't going to be able to focus too much on his early years. They can have his reasoning for not being in NOLA the conflict with Julian but it can't be the center unless they are going to have more than one actor (playing young him), spend a good chunk in flashbacks or mangle his backstory. Again, only because Tatum doesn't look 18, and a late 20s Gambit just getting kicked out of NOLA is kinda boring. I hope we catch up with him after years of being away. The movie can have him return and the audience can discover as he gets reacquainted.

The pure origins story is probably left to a episodic format with a young actor and cast.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:14:00 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #913 on: August 02, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »
Hey Neko, are you not holding your breath for this movie to happen anytime soon or ever?

*chuckles* I'm skeptical. Priorities changed for the Fox movie house. As time goes by, Tatum gets older.  This movie needs to be underway.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:01:17 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #914 on: August 03, 2017, 01:32:40 AM »
I think that Amazon thing is just a movie. And he's only doing voiceover for it.