Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 390201 times)

Online purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #1275 on: January 01, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Blah blah blah, all I heard is the fight coordinator from my favorite Marvel movie is going to be doing my fav characters movie. I'm happy. Everything in Winter Soldier was so hard hitting and fierce, not to mention practical. Can't wait to see what they have in mind.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1276 on: January 01, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
Lol, good perspective... I wonder is Cranston is in the running at all for sinister...

On the other topic, I would think that any money the movie makes would eventvo to Disney once they take over the assets, so one would think they should want it to do well. But I guess it all depends on what their overall plans are for rebooting the whole franchise.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1277 on: January 02, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »

Tatum's Gambit might be a character they shift right over into the MCU. In what fashion that is remains to be seen. If they were smart they wouldn't attempt to connect Gambit to the Singer X-Men world and have it set more in Deadpool's universe. But I believe FOX will push this movie pretty hard themselves assuming production goes well and they feel good about it.

This brings up something that I haven't really seen discussed here at all. Let's say the Gambit movie does well and they decide to carry on Tatum's character to the MCU. Potentially, we would have a Gambit who is pushing 40 (Tatum will be 38 when the movie comes out). This wouldn't be a problem for me but what if they try to do an O5 movie where the team is all in their teens? How would y'all feel about a potential universe where we have a 40 y-o Gambit and a 20 y-o Cyclops? Feels weird to me.

Of course, this is all just speculation - there are a lot of different ways the universe could go - but I wanted to hear some other thoughts.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1278 on: January 02, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »

This brings up something that I haven't really seen discussed here at all. Let's say the Gambit movie does well and they decide to carry on Tatum's character to the MCU. Potentially, we would have a Gambit who is pushing 40 (Tatum will be 38 when the movie comes out). This wouldn't be a problem for me but what if they try to do an O5 movie where the team is all in their teens? How would y'all feel about a potential universe where we have a 40 y-o Gambit and a 20 y-o Cyclops? Feels weird to me.

Of course, this is all just speculation - there are a lot of different ways the universe could go - but I wanted to hear some other thoughts.

yeah he's older, but if he drops weight he'll be able to pull off late 20s early 30s, which is Gambit's age range... how long he'll be able to do that is something else entirely.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1279 on: January 02, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

yeah he's older, but if he drops weight he'll be able to pull off late 20s early 30s, which is Gambit's age range... how long he'll be able to do that is something else entirely.

That's fair. I'm probably just over-thinking it this early before anything is even announced. I don't question Tatum's love for the character or his commitment to this movie, but I'd hate for them to integrate the character into the MCU only to have 1) Tatum get burnt out on it and leave, in which case we'd be out a Gambit or 2) have a Gambit who is significantly older than the rest of the cast. Sure, if the O5 is in their 20s, I'd be fine with it. But teen O5 and a 40 y-o (hell, even a 30 y-o) Gambit is weird imo.

Again, though, just speculating.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1280 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:58 PM »
Oh geez, this is pretty pathetic. 🙄😲http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/why-a-gambit-movie-is-a-bad-idea
 Exerpts

-People really want Gambit to be bisexual" ...They do?
-I don't know, have a woman write and direct it? Please? Gambit probably isn't totally awful, and he's usually about 70% less of a creep when women write him. "
-"Dont put rogue in it. His behavior toward Rogue tends to be on the side of 90% not okay. Here's an idea: You could make a Rogue movie instead!"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:54:03 PM by Paneo01 »

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #1281 on: January 06, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
This is just a bunch of nonsense that you just have to expect in this day and age. Gambit isn't exactly the most PC character on the planet so of coarse you will have idiots like this feel it's there duty to point it out. A character who is a bit of  a womanizer and sweet talks woman is a big target in today's climate. "A woman should write him", he's creepy", "The way he treats Rogue is not okay". This is all a bunch of agenda filled garbage and we know it.  That's all this is and it's not really worth any of us paying attention to.  I think it speaks volumes when you look at all the female fans Gambit has had over the years. Probably more than Rogue. But somehow the very idea of Gambit is offensive. BULL****! :gambit:

I don't care about the "Nobody wants this movie" crap either. Nobody was clamoring for Iron, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, or Guardians of the Galaxy either. But those movies were made and people loved them. That's how movies work. The main character doesn't have to be a household name to make a good film that people like.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1282 on: January 06, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
Yeah I saw this the other day too. What irritated me was how she cherry picked the facts convenient to her piece or left out some of the context. A couple of the comments people were leaving were pretty funny though.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1283 on: January 06, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:42:12 PM by Paneo01 »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1284 on: January 06, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
-

Comic Legends: "Would Marvel not allow Gambit to be bisexual"

https://www.cbr.com/gambit-bisexual-x-men-marvel/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

who the f*** are all these people who want him to be bisexual? even Marvel dont want to do it....Marvel and they dont care about Gambit but they care if he is bisexual or not.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1285 on: January 06, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »
who the f*** are all these people who want him to be bisexual? even Marvel dont want to do it....Marvel and they dont care about Gambit but they care if he is bisexual or not.

I don't think there are many people who care, it's just those who do want him to be bi are really vocal about it. Personally, I've always read him as bi but it wouldn't break my heart if it was never explicitly stated.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #1286 on: January 06, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
CBR is really on top of things, I see. Hasn't this been known for years?
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #1287 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:33 PM »
I've envisioned him acting that way if he -really- needs something for a job, but in all his history and backstory I don't recall it ever really being shown, or really even hinted.

However, with what they did to Iceman, and the complete backlash to just sort of shoehorn in that he was gay - it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, mine included. If it was a gradual reveal, I wouldn't have minded... with hints thrown in here and there before the reveal. But it was just sort of BAM - gay. Introducing characters that way is fine too (Northstar), but I don't think if there have been any suggestions or hints that it is needed.

Especially not now, with the potential MCU/Fox merger... not a great time to rock the boat.

PLUS, seeing how well Deadpool did as a movie when they stick to the source material? Yeah, it's typically a formula for success. Do the legit thing first, -then- experiment.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1288 on: January 06, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »

No kidding. Marvel's editorial said no to Asmus in going in that direction for Gambit. Why its deemed to be so important for his character I have no clue.

Bring him back to his glory days, I don't need his sexuality changed when he's not even the character we know and love.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #1289 on: January 06, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
I've envisioned him acting that way if he -really- needs something for a job, but in all his history and backstory I don't recall it ever really being shown, or really even hinted.

Right. He's not above flirting to try to get what he wants (see: Daken) but that's just it--it's an act.

I remember people used to joke about Iceman being gay, but the way that was handled in canon was so clumsy.

PLUS, seeing how well Deadpool did as a movie when they stick to the source material? Yeah, it's typically a formula for success. Do the legit thing first, -then- experiment.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds