Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 389792 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #1290 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
No kidding. Marvel's editorial said no to Asmus in going in that direction for Gambit. Why its deemed to be so important for his character I have no clue.

Bring him back to his glory days, I don't need his sexuality changed when he's not even the character we know and love.

Its being spun like it's some detriment or slight to the character or LGBT community, when the editor that said "no" is gay himself. He saw it as unnecessary, and I agree. How I see it, it's a little too on the nose (just like "Black Panther and the Crew"; black superheroes, that all seem to know each other, in the hood saving the day. For real? Really? I mean really? Who thought that was a good idea?! I'm a black man, and I'm saying that was a cringy idea). The well-dressed slender man that wears pink and purple turns out to be bi-sexual... Bit of stereotyping imo.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1291 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »

Its being spun like it's some detriment or slight to the character or LGBT community, when the editor that said "no" is gay himself. He saw it as unnecessary, and I agree. How I see it, it's a little too on the nose (just like "Black Panther and the Crew"; black superheroes, that all seem to know each other, in the hood saving the day. For real? Really? I mean really? Who thought that was a good idea?! I'm a black man, and I'm saying that was a cringy idea). The well-dressed slender man that wears pink and purple turns out to be bi-sexual... Bit of stereotyping imo.

I also agree, that that change isn't necessary and my view has nothing to do with LGBT nor would I think it would be a slight to Gambit. And I agree on the stereotyping, that isn't necessary either. While I'm thinking of it, not all good looking men are bi or gay - some of them are hetero (gasp). LOL

There is plenty of characters than can and do represent, its how its written that is failing.

Offline bigbarda

• Survivor
« Reply #1292 on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »

I don't think there are many people who care, it's just those who do want him to be bi are really vocal about it. Personally, I've always read him as bi but it wouldn't break my heart if it was never explicitly stated.

Yeah, I've never seen him being hung up on gender. To me, he's dictionary definition bi (if dictionary definitions of sexuality mean anything).

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1293 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
I guess the issues for me is making a change for the sake of change and with very little actual support from the books.

It's like the third person thing, while it has occurred in the books, its not a normal speech pattern for the character.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #1294 on: January 07, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
I wasn't going to chime in on this but since we're still talking about it I'll throw in  my two cents. To me, Gambit is one of the worst choices to make bi-sexual. Gambit is the quintessential Ladies Man. I don't know how you guys feel but I always felt like Gambit was totally in love with women. He's a pure ramantic Romeo type. All his great chemistry comes from female characters. Whether they be partners, love interests, or villains there is definitely a rapport his character naturally has with females. He really doesn't have any interesting or deep connections with any male characters. Outside of having a competitive rapport  with other men simply due to their alpha male status's. Not even any real bromances to speak of. But he is fully interested in the ladies. That we know for sure. Making him bi just comes off like bad fan-fiction they pulled out of the blue. Why? Because he is sexual? So because he is sexual they have to make him into both sexes? Is it to make him more with the times? More diverse? To cater to bisexuals? It seems insulting. To everyone. I just don't get it. It makes no sense.

And I am not a fan of how he is depicted sometimes as a "pretty boy". When I think of Gambit I think of a ruggedly handsome type with a smooth style.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #1295 on: January 07, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
I know a lot of people on tumblr want/think him to be bi, but I think a lot of that is based on things taken out of context. That said, if your headcanon is that he's bi, fine, whatever.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1296 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
I know a lot of people on tumblr want/think him to be bi, but I think a lot of that is based on things taken out of context. That said, if your headcanon is that he's bi, fine, whatever.

Agreed.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1297 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

Yeah, I've never seen him being hung up on gender. To me, he's dictionary definition bi (if dictionary definitions of sexuality mean anything).

Perfect way to put it.

Offline Rakkner

• Journeyman
« Reply #1298 on: January 08, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
I wasn't going to chime in on this but since we're still talking about it I'll throw in  my two cents. To me, Gambit is one of the worst choices to make bi-sexual. Gambit is the quintessential Ladies Man. I don't know how you guys feel but I always felt like Gambit was totally in love with women. He's a pure ramantic Romeo type. All his great chemistry comes from female characters. Whether they be partners, love interests, or villains there is definitely a rapport his character naturally has with females. He really doesn't have any interesting or deep connections with any male characters. Outside of having a competitive rapport  with other men simply due to their alpha male status's. Not even any real bromances to speak of. But he is fully interested in the ladies. That we know for sure. Making him bi just comes off like bad fan-fiction they pulled out of the blue. Why? Because he is sexual? So because he is sexual they have to make him into both sexes? Is it to make him more with the times? More diverse? To cater to bisexuals? It seems insulting. To everyone. I just don't get it. It makes no sense.

And I am not a fan of how he is depicted sometimes as a "pretty boy". When I think of Gambit I think of a ruggedly handsome type with a smooth style.

Exactly how I view it as well.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1299 on: January 08, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

I would disagree with this.  He had pretty great chemistry with Daken in the crossover between X-23 and Daken.  He just doesn't have any long standing relationships but usually has shown good chemistry with a Wolverine or Bishop when they actually bother to write him with other guys. 

While I don't necessarily want him to be bi, I don't know that I would care if he was provided it was done right.  I kind of view it that if he were bisexual it would be along the lines of how Lucifer is portrayed on the TV show.  Usually seen with a ton of women and in love with a girl but not opposed to the occasional hook up with a guy.  I just would never see him in any sort of long term relationship with a guy.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1302 on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
Cant wait see what the Mad max costume designer comes up with for Gambit.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1303 on: January 09, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
Cant wait see what the Mad max costume designer comes up with for Gambit.

Me too! So excited!!!

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #1304 on: January 10, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
This is what I want to hear! An official start date. I'm also super excited to see Jenny Beavan's costume design. I think she'll design an awesome Gambit look.

In the upcoming weeks we're going to have to pay attention to any Tatum sightings to see how his weight cut is coming along. 8)