Author Topic: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect  (Read 15188 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
With the lack of new Gambit content lately I've found myself rereading Asmus/Mann (and company) and I have to say it stands up very well. I can remember why we were all so excited and entertained every month. It also reminds me why were so disappointed and even mad that it was ending. The stories were obviously written and drawn by fans of the character. Untainted by biased opinions of 90s scorned nerds and Rogue fanboys. Say what you may about the focus Gambit got over Rogue in the 90s, in terms of their relationship, she never actually suffered due to it, like Gambit did in the early 00s to even today.

Asmus handled Gambit with enthusiasm and gave him truly exciting stories even with a known leash of limitations set upon him. Yeah, like anything it wasn't perfect. While a lot of it can be contributed to push back he got from a lot of his ideas such as access to other X-Men and Marvel characters (as if their agents told him they were too busy). There was even rumors of him wanting to make Gambit bi-sexual, which would have done nothing but feed trolls of the character a feast of ammunition and to be honest, just doesn't fit the character. The fact that Gambit never really finished any of his "boss fights" was also another pet peeve. Then there's the ending in which we were assured by Asmus wasn't coming. Not to mention, the art while awesome when done by Mann, was lack luster when he couldn't meet deadlines and the book suffered from it IMO.

Strange ideas, inconsistencies in the art and shaky dismount aside, Asmus run on Gambit can easily be argued as the best with Fabien's run only topping it. Asmus had taken a character that had been abused for the better part of a decade and made him not just live, but be cool. If you haven't read it recently, give it another look.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
IA with a lot of what you stated. I do give more props to Asmus than Fabian because Gambit didn't become so morose in Asmus' run as he did in Fabians.

I think the first year of Fabian's run was really good, very action/thief oriented. The second year just wasn't that good.

The fun aspect of the character didn't really exist back then, he had moments but it wasn't a focus. I sort of wonder if that is something that transpired at Marvel, wanting to have punch lines or some comedic things in their story telling. Probably to offset the drama.

Re-reading is fun thing to do. :)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
As for me Asmus handled Remy as 8/10. He wasn`t able to write Remy as good as Bunn had written Magneto or Spurrier written Legion.
Also I think it took too long for Asmus to find Remy`s voice. I really liked issue #4 but I think issue #9 was the moment when Asmus found real Gambit voice.

I think both Fabian and Mackie handled Remy better. For me he was much more a complex character in their books.
Also I really doubt that Asmus could make as good work with Gambit in 4 issues as Mackie did.

I think the main problem with Asmus` Gambit for me is that his Remy had no mystery, secrets or darkness, I dunno. He was always missing something. Something that for me Mackie`s and Nicieza`s Gambit always had.

But I really like solo by Asmus and I hope that he will have a chance to write Gambit again. He creates unique action scenes.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Nice analysis Purp! Like the examples you gave.

Tweeted Asmus and he answered

@JamesAsmus been rereading your #Gambit run, best treatment he's had in years IMO. Any chance you'll be writing him again?

Answer:
Thank you! And lobby the X-office! I'd love to do more with him in any capacity :) :smitten:

So anyone down to start a campaign? LOL

My question is, if by chance we did get as far, would any of you buy Uncanny Inhumans if Gambit became a regular or ongoing cast member?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:48:02 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »
I literally sent an email to the X-Office saying that they could put Gambit anywhere and I (and many others) would buy it. I specifically mentioned Uncanny X-Men, New Avengers, and Uncanny Inhumans. I'm pretty sure some poor intern read it. Tweeting and sending emails to the editors is the way to go with this stuff.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:15:22 PM »
Don, glad it was interesting for you ;)

I do not want Gambit to join Inhuman books. I am not interested in their books and mythology and do want to start read it because Gambit is in it.

I afraid even to think about Gambit joining Extraodinary every time I remember Nightcrawler.

No place in Uncanny for Remy as long as Fanto is there.

All-new is about kids.

The only hope is some new books that might be announced later.

P.S. I will write my letter to X-Office right now.
Someone need to ask Ketchum on twitter. I don`t have it :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:17:14 PM by purplevit »

Offline Homme

• Survivor
  • I would trade my eyes to see.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:49:38 PM »
No place in Uncanny for Remy as long as Fanto is there.

Until the editors decide to retcon Fantomex into being a Gambit clone, his brother or his biological father.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
Until the editors decide to retcon Fantomex into being a Gambit clone, his brother or his biological father.

We need to delete this post so editors won`t be able to read this ;D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
Sent my tweet to Ketchum. No response yet but Asmus "liked" it. If anyone decides to join in make sure you tag Mr Asmus on it!

@jamesasmus
@danielketchum

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:08:29 AM »
[email protected]

Here is email if someone would like to send a lovely letter for X office)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:19:53 AM »
The fact that Gambit never really finished any of his "boss fights" was also another pet peeve.

That was a big problem for me too.
There were no great fight for Gambit in last solo.

In Nicieza`s run Gambit had awesome fights with Daredevil and Blade. His agility was shown really good in this run. I am sure it was Skroce`s merit but it was great. If someone will be having a debate on forum about Gambit vs (put characters name here) fight he will be using scans mostly form Nicieza`s run.
Asmus had awesome action and unique scenes with jetpack and Gambit on the car or Gambit thrown from airplane but he wasn`t shown as awesome H2H fighter at all. Unfortunetely.

I think issues #8 and 14 were the weakest from the series. I would love fight vs monsters in issue 8 and fairy story in issue 14 to be changed for action packed Gambit vs dozen of ninjas fights:)

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
I've not been keeping up to date with threads so managed to miss this and go on about it in the Gambit Watch thread.  Sent my tweet too, might send an email as well if it helps.  I'd totally ready Uncanny Inhumans if Gambit was in it.  Asmus could write a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk or something and I'd read it if he managed to get Gambit in there!

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
I've not been keeping up to date with threads so managed to miss this and go on about it in the Gambit Watch thread.  Sent my tweet too, might send an email as well if it helps.  I'd totally ready Uncanny Inhumans if Gambit was in it.  Asmus could write a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk or something and I'd read it if he managed to get Gambit in there!

Well with Joanna (Frenzy) he has a genuine "in". Probably wouldnt be opposed to him hitting on Crystal, might be a little fun payback to Human Torch and Quicksilver. But I'd be cool with him there for sure even if he was just a recurring character and not part of the main cast.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »

Someone at CBR brought up the idea of Cich being facsimile for Kingpin in Asmus' book. It intrigued me so I went straight to the source.
https://twitter.com/ThePrattLP/statu...31697885716480

Question:@JamesAsmus old stuff: seeing as u originally wanted to use Black Cat in your #Gambit run, was Cich a stand in for King Pin?

Answer:No. From the jump, I was asked to make new characters. And I was happy to make a foe who wouldn't be taken away for other books. But i wanted to have the idea of him loaning villains money and repo-ing their stuff pull in more recognizable villains for short bits

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
That's cool that Asmus is willing to still discuss his work on Gambit. I wonder now that some time has passed, if he's willing to really open up about where he wanted to take things and how he felt working on the book.  Is he currently writing anything for Marvel? A Star Wars book maybe? I'm not sure.

Also interesting that he was asked to create new characters, seeing as how now the big rumor is that writers aren't allowed to do that for x-books.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:37:40 AM by cc008 »
Who Dat