Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
There will be a new Star Trek.

Star Trek Discovery

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/03/star-trek-discovery-rumor/

While that link says its a rumor, I saw that one of the actors from the Harry Potter Series was cast as the Captain. Lucius Malfoy actor

http://nerdist.com/jason-isaacs-cast-as-captain-on-star-trek-discovery/

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
...I'm not adding anymore paid streaming services. I'll pass until it's free to watch.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »
Based on the other things I've found ... it should be on CBS. I thought I saw that somewhere, I could be wrong.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
Based on the other things I've found ... it should be on CBS. I thought I saw that somewhere, I could be wrong.

yeah CBS online paid service... they were offering three months free or something, but I'm not doing it. Hopefully they changed their stance on that? I really do hope so. But I dont watch anything on CBS so I'd be subscribing to it for Star Trek.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:20:41 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Oh I didn't know that. That is lame if its only with their sub service. I won't buy it either. :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
Super lame. Because I'm a Trekkie.

DS9 was the best series. My logic is undeniable.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
You beat me to it. Looks interesting. But not very Trekkie... Looks really expensive. And wth did they do to the Klingons?!  And it will be CBS All Access. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with that move.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
The first episode will air on CBS on September 24th. But to see the second episode you have to go CBS All Access only.

I also think they're shooting themselves in the foot with forcing people to subscribe to their website content.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/14/cbs-critics-star-trek-discovery/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-trek-discovery-how-to-watch/

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
Since last we spoke, I found out a lot more about this series. If listen to the producers you'll believe that all the changes to the lore, the fact that it takes place in the past, the changes in the looks of some of the alien races is an expression of the writers and a way to make themselves original. Not so. Apparently CBS and Paramount arent as close a they used to be. The first Star Trek series (Star Trek, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) were indeed a product of CBS/ Paramount. But since then, then there was a split. Most of the Star Trek rights belong to Paramount. CBS is licensing the Star Trek name from Paramount, but thats about it. They arent using anything else beyond names. From the uniforms to the proper ship shapes and appearances of the alien races are different because if they used anything else that's part of Star Trek proper would mean more of a profit share with Paramount. This series is only Star Trek in name and marketing. It explains why Paramount as announced the development of another series that will exist within the main Star Trek universe slated for release next year.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
Wow! I did not know all of that. And its interesting to note the strained relationship between CBS and Paramount.

You gotta really want to see this show to pay for the app. I am certain there is plenty of other shows to watch and not just ST:Discovery but .... I can't justify the price for it. You can only try for free for 30 days or something like that.

The whole TV ala cart thing seems to be taking a hold in some platforms.

I think the problem is or at least for CBS, I don't think there is enough content for me to justify spending money when I already pay too much as it is for cable and what not.

And as you say, if Paramount decides on their own show, they can shop it. They don't have to air it on CBS.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
ST: Discovery... STD?  ;D  Did no one see this during marketing meetings?! Also, they announced ST:D will make its way to Netflix as well. I don't know if it'll be simu-streamed or staggered to give more incentive to watch it on CBS' stream service, but it'll be there eventually. I'm personally sitting this one out. The changes, it being in the past, and the onset controversy are enough to turn me off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:40:38 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
Okay ..... I didn't see that ..... STD? Now that is funny.  :2funny:

They probably didn't see that in the marketing meetings, that is just amusing.

I don't sub to Netflix, though, at this point I'm not sure why. LOL.

I will sit this one out as well, but will watch whatever is shown on CBS. It's because of the principle of forcing your audience to spend money to see a show that is keeping me away. What?, no advertising dollars?

Not only that ... you have to spend more to get the show without advertising.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:24 PM »
Episode 1 ... on CBS .. the rest pay for via CBS All Access.

It wasn't bad - they certainly borrowed from all of the franchise though.

Half Human/Vulcan.
Number One
Saving some thing that doesn't know Star Fleet exists
Klingons (from the reboots) - tbh - too much Klingon language for my liking.
Sarek is available to advice.
The constant countdown and numeric portions may have been over done.
Ships look cool.
The holographic communication was nice too.

Overall, alright. I'm still sitting it out. :)