Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148456 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
The more I look at the cover the more apprehension builds for me. Gambit and Rogue are a lot of things together. Angsty for sure, sad, sometimes. But they are also dangerous, steamy, sexy, mysterious, brash, fierce... I'm getting something else from the pic. The smiles and dull yet bright coloring. It's something I'd put on the front of promotional gift from Pizza Hut. Or an exclusive Walmart lunch box. I think it was a poor choice for issue #1. Perhaps further down the line I'd be more receptive. The art of a book says a lot about the direction of said book. This might not be what it's supposed to be... Especially if you take into a account that this is still Marvel. The people that push Squirrel Girl down our throats and make half their female heroes look like Disney princesses. I really need more information. I'm starting to get an idea of what they might be up to and it's beginning to disturb me.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
New ‘Rogue & Gambit’ Series From Kelly Thompson And Pere Perez Coming In January. 5 issues mini

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/05/kelly-thompson-pere-perez-rogue-gambit/

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Is this the same Kelly Thompson that reviewed Asmus' Gambit solo?

Her twitter accounts lists:
Writer: HAWKEYE, PHASMA, GHOSTBUSTERS, JEM, MISFITS, A-FORCE, MEGA PRINCESS, HEART IN A BOX, STORYKILLER, THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE KING. Feminist-y & Tired.

And with the attached picture the latest of her tweets.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:41:28 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 03:49:13 PM »
Yeah, the same Kelly Thompson that reviewed Asmus' Gambit solo :(

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
Yeah, the same Kelly Thompson that reviewed Asmus' Gambit solo :(

This does not instill confidence in me for this title.  :(
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:48:04 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
So I hear she was part of that whole comicgate fiasco where her and bunch of other creators got together on a FB page to lure a YouTuber into a fight at a comic Con to discredit him for criticizing their books... More concerned.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:17 AM »
Tweeted KT. Pretty fast reply. We're getting some interior art, maybe some info. Her openness has settled me some...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
I think we will get more news today at X-Men Legacy panel. I hope good news :)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »
I am concerned that Gambit will be treated poorly solely to show some feminist pride or what not.

Edit1: I'm not making a comment about feminism, however, I do not want to be preached to in a comic book. There are other better and wider platforms for those agendas.

Edit2: I'll wait to hear what comes out of NYCC .... and hope for the best. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:59:54 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
Is this the woman who wrote an article about how Asmus was sexist?  I found that laughable, Asmus was one of the least chauvinistic writers you could have asked for, but some people just look for offensiveness under every rock and stone.   

I'm sort of indifferent to this.  I'd rather a Gambit and Storm series if he was going to be teamed up with anybody.  I think this Gambit and Rogue ship sailed after X-Treme, when they were together with no stupid baggage.  As it stands right now I'm not sure. 

And again, I can't for the life of me understand why a fellow writer would slag off Asmus's Gambit run unless they were butthurt.  It was a great book.  So I'm not holding a lot of faith :(

Offline Rakkner

• Journeyman
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Here's what I found, maybe there's another article out there.     

www.cbr.com/gambit-1/

She pretty much just s***s on issue #1 start to finish, I only saw one line about sexism.  I disagree with everything she said, but the good news is it seems she has a high standard for how Gambit should be written.     
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:41:42 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
That's a good way of looking at it. Guess we can wait and see what she comes up with. But that first issue was a breath of fresh air after all Gambit had been through so I'm uncertain about any fan who bashes it.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
She had poor views of several issues of the Asmus Gambit solo. That aside - that is a positive way to look at it, we'll see how high the standard will be once we actually get an issue.

I fixed your link Rakkner - a few more posts to go before you won't need me or any other mod to fix links.  ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »
Is this the woman who wrote an article about how Asmus was sexist?  I found that laughable, Asmus was one of the least chauvinistic writers you could have asked for, but some people just look for offensiveness under every rock and stone.   

I'm sort of indifferent to this.  I'd rather a Gambit and Storm series if he was going to be teamed up with anybody.  I think this Gambit and Rogue ship sailed after X-Treme, when they were together with no stupid baggage.  As it stands right now I'm not sure. 

And again, I can't for the life of me understand why a fellow writer would slag off Asmus's Gambit run unless they were butthurt.  It was a great book.  So I'm not holding a lot of faith :(

Got to take into account she's a super fan of Rogue. The Asmus solo was about Gambit, not her. For large part it was about Gambit  finding himself, and getting over Rogue. Someone that's a fan of hers isn't going to like that story being told from the male prospective or a story that's essentially putting space between Gambit and Rogue. Even Jen over on CBR was complaining how Gambit "told Rogue off" in the Asmus solo and she didn't like that... I still have no idea what she's talking about but the instance was enough for her to say the whole run was bad because of it.

Can't really stand fans who are so infatuated with a fictional character that anything remotely not perfect sets them off as if a character should never have flaws or make mistakes. Imperfections are what make characters relatable, otherwise it's just mindless worship. If you take this into account I think it makes sense as to why Kelly Thompson wasn't too positive on the Asmus run. It wasn't a Romy lovefest. It involved another woman Gambit came to care for, despite having Rogue show up more than just about anyone.

Spas over on CBR did bring up an interesting point. That Gambit and Rogue haven't been written from a woman's point of view before. I'm intrigued to see where she goes with it. Perhaps all the unnecessarily injected angst was the result of the writer having a Y chromosome lol. Could be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:37:23 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Perhaps not from a women's pov in a comic book, but in a short story in a collection of stories that Marvel had published where Marjorie Liu wrote Gambit and Rogue and they were together in that story. :)

Keep in mind that story was in their heyday, so its incredibly old now.