Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70895 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »

Love it lol. Boys will be boys.

And I'm honestly rooting for Remy here. My taste in Deadpool has been waning as of late. The goofball seems to have taken over as the dominant persona. Not happy about it.

I think Marvel will continue to make different projects with different Deadpool. So people can find monthly Deadpool that they like. Bunn's mini is great.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »

I think Marvel will continue to make different projects with different Deadpool. So people can find monthly Deadpool that they like. Bunn's mini is great.

Agreed. It's really too bad he didn't get the ongoing.
Who Dat

Offline Berry

• [insert something witty]
  • X-Man Leader
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »
Possible spoilers Phoenix Egg
Not so sound like a total dumb-dumb, but what the hell does the phoenix egg do?  I read the wiki on it, and am still at a lost as to what it can & can’t do.  It’s the rebirth of the Phoenix right?  But Jean’s already alive so...?  Or does whoever is holding it when it cracks open partly control the Phoenix force?

Caroline: I know it sounds crazy, but alcohol helps.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #348 on: July 18, 2018, 02:45:41 AM »
Really, I don`t know. Maybe Jean rejected Phoenix so it should reborn for new host? I think it will be used to ressurect Cyke.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:07:53 AM by purplevit »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #349 on: July 18, 2018, 09:42:05 AM »
Really, I don`t know. Maybe Jean rejected Phoenix so it should reborn for new host? I think it will be used to ressurect Cyke.

That would be a really clever way to do it, actually. What would be kinda funny is if Cyke gets resurrected with the Phoenix only for Jean to have to kill him again like an issue later lol

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Have you guys read Xmen Red #6 yet? Gambit actually feels like a member of Jean's team with a purpose and is featured prominently.   His inclusion finally makes sense.   For the first time in a while his skills as a thief are gonna be useful to the Xmen instead of being used as a point of contention usually at Gambit's expense.   There's also some nice dialogue where Laura tells Gabby that Gambit's one of the best thieves in the world.   It's good to see this new direction that Gambit's being written in by Tom Taylor and Kelly Thompson in Red and Mr.   & Mrs.   X.   No more of that clumsy mistake prone chump that some writers (with agendas) wanted to turn him into in the past, basically ignoring continuity.   Things are looking good, almost reminds me of the 90s.   

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »

Hi, guys! Sorry in advance for the long post.   

I am a Romy fan.    I like Rogue (though, the writers have made that a difficult thing for me to do in recent years), but I definitely like Gambit much more.   Funnily enough, I got put on to Gambit because he was Rogue's boyfriend.   I just ended up finding him much more compelling and interesting.   

My biggest problem with the whole Romy thing right now is that NOTHING about it feels remotely organic to me.    Not the rushed and unsatisfactory way they got back together.    Not the cheesy, out-of-nowhere proposal so soon after the rushed reunion.    Nothing.    And that has been a recurring problem with me and the X-books for years.    It is the reason why I stopped reading them with any kind of consistency.    They don't seem to care anymore about developing characters and their relationships in a way that is gradual, consistent and realistic.    They just care about churning out cheap gimmicks in order to get people to buy their comics.    The joke is that they have been shown time and time again that this is not the way to sustain readership, but they keep doing it anyway.    It's always one machination after another.   

I understand that writing necessarily involves machinations on the part of the writer(s).    But good writing makes events, character development, relationships, etc.    feel natural.    You never get the feeling that a specific outcome is being shoved down your throat.    You never see the strings.   

With X-books, I ALWAYS see the strings.   

If they wanted to marry off Rogue and Gambit, they needed to spend some time (maybe a year?) reacquainting us with their relationship and allowing us to see how they have changed and why things will work this time as opposed to every other time they've tried.    Remind us of why so many were fans of the pairing in the first place (and no, one mini-story featuring them was not enough).    A lot of us have become disenchanted with Romy because of how poorly they have been written in recent years.    Show us that they are both equally in love with each other.    Make us invest in their relationship and WANT to see them back together.   

They did none of that.    So I will probably not be reading Mr.    & Mrs.    X.   TBH, I don't anticipate this series lasting more than maybe 12 issues before cancellation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:32:18 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
Hi, Hairlesscat!
Huge first post. Some like R&G and wedding and some donv't like it here.
As for me it wasn't forced and felt natural but everyone has his own opinion.
Hope you will like this place ;)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »
Just to chime in about ROMY, because I've yet to.. surprisingly enough because we don't about it so much.. I don't think how they got back together in the mini was forced. I thought it was good. And Remy's proposal seemed pretty darn near what I would expect from him. I thought it was sweet.

That said, welcome to The Gambit Guild, Hairlesscat :gambit:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:26:59 PM by cc008 »
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »
Just to chime in about ROMY, because I've yet to.. surprisingly enough because we don't about it so much.. I don't think how they got back together in the mini was forced. I thought it was good. And Remy's proposal seemed pretty darn near what I would expect from him. I thought it was sweet.

That said, welcome to The Gambit Guild, Hairlesscat :gambit:

I think that proposal was very in character too.

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #355 on: July 18, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Quote from: hairlesscat link=topic=5172. msg74561#msg74561 date=1531938590
Hi, guys! Sorry in advance for the long post.   

I am a Romy fan.     I like Rogue (though, the writers have made that a difficult thing for me to do in recent years), but I definitely like Gambit much more.    Funnily enough, I got put on to Gambit because he was Rogue's boyfriend.    I just ended up finding him much more compelling and interesting.   

My biggest problem with the whole Romy thing right now is that NOTHING about it feels remotely organic to me.     Not the rushed and unsatisfactory way they got back together.     Not the cheesy, out-of-nowhere proposal so soon after the rushed reunion.     Nothing.     And that has been a recurring problem with me and the X-books for years.     It is the reason why I stopped reading them with any kind of consistency.     They don't seem to care anymore about developing characters and their relationships in a way that is gradual, consistent and realistic.     They just care about churning out cheap gimmicks in order to get people to buy their comics.     The joke is that they have been shown time and time again that this is not the way to sustain readership, but they keep doing it anyway.     It's always one machination after another.   

I understand that writing necessarily involves machinations on the part of the writer(s).     But good writing makes events, character development, relationships, etc.     feel natural.     You never get the feeling that a specific outcome is being shoved down your throat.     You never see the strings.   

With X-books, I ALWAYS see the strings.   

If they wanted to marry off Rogue and Gambit, they needed to spend some time (maybe a year?) reacquainting us with their relationship and allowing us to see how they have changed and why things will work this time as opposed to every other time they've tried.     Remind us of why so many were fans of the pairing in the first place (and no, one mini-story featuring them was not enough).     A lot of us have become disenchanted with Romy because of how poorly they have been written in recent years.     Show us that they are both equally in love with each other.     Make us invest in their relationship and WANT to see them back together.     

They did none of that.     So I will probably not be reading Mr.     & Mrs.     X.    TBH, I don't anticipate this series lasting more than maybe 12 issues before cancellation.

I actually don't think repairing them in the R&G mini and then marrying them in Gold was that rushed, considering Marvel and Mike Carey paired Rogue and Magneto literally in the span of two issues in X-men Legacy even though both characters had barely interacted in the years prior to that. 

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
Welcome, Hairlesscat!

I don't agree with your overall point, but I think it just comes down to personal preference. With all of their history, I didn't think it was necessary to have them together for a full year before they got married. Heck, with how wishy washy editorial can be, who knows if they would have lasted a year before some other writer split them up.

Either way, I think you bring up some valid points. I have a feeling it will get cancelled as well, but mostly because Marvel has been dropping the ball marketing it.

Anyways, glad to have another Romy fan here!

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #357 on: July 18, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
Quote from: bark_no_byte link=topic=5172.  msg74567#msg74567 date=1531944013
Welcome, Hairlesscat!
Thank you!

Quote from:
I don't agree with your overall point, but I think it just comes down to personal preference.   With all of their history, I didn't think it was necessary to have them together for a full year before they got married. 
It's true that they have a lot of history.   But the writers have also done so much damage to their relationship that I think they needed to spend a not insubstantial amount of time undoing it.   One miniseries was not enough IMO.   Not by a long shot. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:29:37 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
I’m at the point where I’m ready to move ahead with Romy. I’m cautiously hoping this is a fresh start. I don’t like HOW we got here—they needed time to work out their issues before ultimately marrying—but that’s where they’re at now and I’ve accepted it.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »