Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70929 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
I’m at the point where I’m ready to move ahead with Romy. I’m cautiously hoping this is a fresh start. I don’t like HOW we got here—they needed time to work out their issues before ultimately marrying—but that’s where they’re at now and I’ve accepted it.

Agree. I am for Fresh Start with good stories then 1 more year trying to resolve bad writing of past writers.
KT did enough in R&G so they were able to move forward.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:26:02 PM by purplevit »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Who Dat

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
Quote from: cc008 link=topic=5172.  msg74573#msg74573 date=1531948903

C^ckblock Kitty

This seems like it's post-sexy time, so it may not be a c*ckblock just an unwanted interruption.  Similar to what Kitty did in R&G #3.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »

Ha! This is great. What else are they gonna do on their honeymoon when they're stuck on a spaceship?

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
https://www.newsarama.com/40899-young-ramos-campbell-dodson-give-covers-as-wedding-gifts-for-mr-mrs-x-1.html#s1  some variants that we have seen already the Skottie Young one is funny

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
https://www.newsarama.com/40899-young-ramos-campbell-dodson-give-covers-as-wedding-gifts-for-mr-mrs-x-1.html#s1  some variants that we have seen already the Skottie Young one is funny

I think the Ramos one is still my favorite, followed by the Skottie Young one

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
Quote from: purplevit link=topic=5172.  msg74572#msg74572 date=1531948662

Agree.   I am for Fresh Start with good stories then 1 more year trying to resolve bad writing of past writers. 
KT did enough in R&G so they were able to move forward. 
I use a year as an example.   Even 6 months would have been better than the - what, one month? - that we got. 

I would argue that we are still in a time of bad writers.   Rogue was very clearly the star of the mini.   Gambit got no character development at all in that.   IMO, he is still just as much of a lapdog there as he was during Carey's run.   Only now, Rogue wants him.   I think a lot of X-book fans (which is apparently an ever-dwindling group) are just so used to getting shoddy writing that the bar has definitely been set very low. 

I think it's very telling that fanfic writers tend to write a better Gambit than most of the writers at Marvel.

But that is just my opinion.   I know you disagree and that's fine. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:11:44 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »

I use a year as an example.   Even 6 months would have been better than the - what, one month? - that we got. 

I would argue that we are still in a time of bad writers.   Rogue was very clearly the star of the mini.   Gambit got no character development at all in that.   IMO, he is still just as much of a lapdog there as he was during Carey's run.   Only now, Rogue wants him.   I think a lot of X-book fans (which is apparently an ever-dwindling group) are just so used to getting shoddy writing that the bar has definitely been set very low. 

I think it's very telling that fanfic writers tend to write a better Gambit than most of the writers at Marvel.

But that is just my opinion.   I know you disagree and that's fine.

First of all, welcome hairlesscat. (I love the name).

I think the mini cleaned up some things but mostly for Rogue  (as you said - star - it was all about her) and I do have an issue with that, Gambit wasn't as important. Gambit never resolved anything and Rogue didn't apologize until til late (yeah, broken record, but not wrong, and has not been addressed until it benefited Rogue). I'm not gonna say couples don't recover from that but .. damn ... talk about one-sided and in Rogue's favor.

I don't have faith in the writer to write Gambit well, but Rogue fans, you'll be sitting pretty because everyone (writers) makes sure Rogue is well. Beyond powers and his devotion, Gambit is treated as nobody, isn't  given story beyond love of Rogue, the mini did nothing for him.

edit:
Make Gambit equal.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:35:30 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #368 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:31 AM »
Good first post hairless as I feel like I have a kindred spirit in my Romy debate.  An organic resolution would be Rogue and Gambit working out their issues together.  That is what Gambit, Rogue and Romy fans deserved IMO.  For Rogue and Gambit to put in the time and effort to resolve Rogue's trust issues and Gambit's secretive ways.

A plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and seemingly unlikely occurrence, typically so much as to seem contrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

After reading 20 plus years of ups and downs between Romy, how did their seemingly impossible problems get resolved?  A character that never existed was created for the sole purpose of getting Rogue to ignore all the issues she has with Gambit.  Gambit did nothing.  He didn't pledge to be less secretive, he didn't have to convince Rogue of anything.  This plot device named Lavish did all the work for him. 

What is the likelihood that Rogue would encounter a villain tailor made to solve her issues with Gambit?  That is why it is not organic.  That is why it is contrived.  In the story of their relationship, Lavish is the last minute Deus Ex Machina introduced to resolve an issue that neither Gambit or Rogue could resolve in over 20+ years of stories.  So I agree with you 100%.  It felt cheap and easy the way it was ultimately resolved.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:21:52 AM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #369 on: July 19, 2018, 02:20:46 AM »

Ramos variant is the only one that I like.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
Quote from: remydat link=topic=5172. msg74582#msg74582 date=1531977451
Good first post hairless as I feel like I have a kindred spirit in my Romy debate.   An organic resolution would be Rogue and Gambit working out their issues together.   That is what Gambit, Rogue and Romy fans deserved IMO.   For Rogue and Gambit to put in the time and effort to resolve Rogue's trust issues and Gambit's secretive ways.

A plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and seemingly unlikely occurrence, typically so much as to seem contrived.

https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

After reading 20 plus years of ups and downs between Romy, how did their seemingly impossible problems get resolved?  A character that never existed was created for the sole purpose of getting Rogue to ignore all the issues she has with Gambit.   Gambit did nothing.   He didn't pledge to be less secretive, he didn't have to convince Rogue of anything.   This plot device named Lavish did all the work for him.   

What is the likelihood that Rogue would encounter a villain tailor made to solve her issues with Gambit?  That is why it is not organic.   That is why it is contrived.   In the story of their relationship, Lavish is the last minute Deus Ex Machina introduced to resolve an issue that neither Gambit or Rogue could resolve in over 20+ years of stories.   So I agree with you 100%.   It felt cheap and easy the way it was ultimately resolved.
Agreed with everything! Especially the fact that Lavish was a deus ex machina! Lazy, lazy writing.  I actually would have loved to see Romy together.  But the way it's been done, I feel cheated.  After all the following and investment that I have put into these two characters and their relationship, I am low-key pissed that I've gotten this sloppy, haphazard storyline that not only does nothing for one half of the relationship but also magically made all of their problems go away.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
Good first post hairless as I feel like I have a kindred spirit in my Romy debate.
I'm not a kindred spirit? I'm hurt Remydat ....  ;) *teasing* of course.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #372 on: July 19, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
Great first post hairlesscat. You make good points. Personally, I thought the R&G mini was decently organic. At least enough for me. I'm also in the boat of let's move on and just do the right thing from here going forward. You guys mention how it's a "deus ex machine" but I mean, welcome to the comics. The comic universe is a silly place where a million things happen constantly for convenience of story, to fix narratives, and to change ideas. To not be satisfied with an instance where a villain is brought in to mess with characters heads and force a character to deal with feelings, emotions and memories(finally) to where it makes her come out looking at things from a different perspective, is fine. I'm okay with it. Mostly because I thought it was done pretty well and I was never expecting them to do a really long played out working through all their specific problems. I understand some Gambit fans feeling like he is owed that. I just feel like he is owed being written well.

I also liked Gambit in the R&G mini for the most part. I know some feel like Gambit was just a sidekick but I don't really agree. I thought Gambit was confident, slick, honest, kicked some ass, and kept Rogue on her toes. People might think this is an excuse but in that particular story it makes sense if Rogue is a little more of the focus. She's the one who needs to come to terms with things and is the one with the hang-ups. She's the one that needs to figure things out. One thing that has been consistent over the years is how Gambit feels. He doesn't need the mindf^ck to know where he stands. She does. And I just happen to buy the mind messing being the thing that brought her back to how much she loves him. She's probably got a really tormented psyche after the years. They even had her genuinely apologize to Gambit and not letting him get away with the "you don't have to" line and makes sure he understands it. Again, this is more than I thought I would see from Marvel in an attempt to admit Rogue has not been wonderful to him. I like the approach that Rogue is the one that has to come correct here. And she does.  Now, if you just hate Rogue at this point I understand that it's not enough. But for me I think it's a good start for moving forward.

And I totally like the proposal and marriage of the two. They're spontaneous and impulsive and just go with their feelings. It's part of what make Gambit and Rogue the hottest/sexiest/funnest couple in Marvel. And I'd love for them to get back to that. Them slipping through the back door and becoming the married X-couple instead of the highly publicized Kitty and Colossus, I think is hitting the right note. For a Romy fan anyway. I'm just hoping everything continues going in the right direction in Mr and Mrs X.   

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #373 on: July 19, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
I'm not a kindred spirit? I'm hurt Remydat ....  ;) *teasing* of course.

Of course.  You were the original lol.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #374 on: July 19, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
Wantutosigh,

A relationship is two people.  It makes sense to focus on Rogue but doesn't make sense for Gambit to not be a part of the solution.  Rogue had reservations about Gambit not Lavish.  The focus of the mini should have been Gambit convincing Rogue ie them working things out together.  Instead Gambit takes a backseat in his own relationship while Rogue and Lavish work things out. 

Not sure it is a good basis for a marriage that Gambit can't convince Rogue of anything on his own.  Is she going to call Lavish after their first big fight?  Or maybe just absorb his memories herself because she can't just trust his word?  Is Gambit going to remain secretive?

Having said that, you are right that what's done is done.  Hopefully going forward Rogue will respect her husband's opinion enough to actually take it to heart rather than needing to rely on memory absorption to resolve their problems.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:45:53 PM by remydat »