Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70933 times)

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
I literally started reading X-Men again this week on a whim after a few years away.    I had no idea what was going on in the books, but I have a couple of weeks before I start a new job and I was "whatever.   " So, catching up with Gold today was stunning and wonderful, and I am very excited for the new ongoing.   

Thompson's miniseries was so good.    So good.    She understands both characters well, and somehow managed to weave a coherent, touching narrative out of the mess that has been their relationship.    Both characters had moments to shine, and delightful banter.    I especially loved how Rogue actually faced what she had done, apologized for it, and didn't make excuses.    She didn't even let Gambit do his traditional "It's okay.    We don't need to do this.   " schtick.    So good.   

So, yeah, I am hype for this ongoing.    I have asked my LCS guy to order any and all alternative covers for me.   I intend to singlehandedly keep this book going forever. 

Er, I am normally less gushy, but man I am excited about this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:08:35 PM by DearMachine »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
Holy @#*%! I've been a little out of the loop lately and when this news popped up on my phone yesterday it blew my mind. I would consider myself a Romy fan even though I have not liked a ton of what they did with these two over the years. But the Rogue and Gambit mini was far better than I was expecting it to be and the surprise marriage of these two has really made me happy because I feel they earned it and it wasn't a "wtf" moment. It's so nice to see these two happy together and dropping all the convoluted mess of their "will they won't they" shtick that's gone on way too long. I hope it lasts and they become a great married power couple.

I really feel bad for Gambit fans who hate Rogue so much that it prevents them from really enjoying a storyline or arc due to her mere presence. I feel extremely fortunate that my enjoyment of Gambit in the spotlight is not tainted by this. I hope and would expect  that Gambit will get plenty of focus in this ongoing team up story. Super excited for Mr. & Mrs. X. I even like that title. It's weird and unexpected but that's kind of why I like it. I'll love seeing them in a bigger story that will affect more of the universe.

I also can't stand those covers and specifically how Gambit is drawn. Looks like I'll be getting a lot of variants. I hate those white backgrounds too. Hope the art inside is better. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:35:38 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
I'm not really aware of any Gambit fans that outright 'hate' Rogue, though there are a few that certainly dislike her because a large majority of the time she tends to overshadow Gambit. We might hopefully get a balance now, with each of them getting a chance to shine alternatively, but of course we'll have to wait and see. At least at this point in time we won't have to deal with any more wishy-washy Rogue and pining Gambit.

Likely just angst from their own individual friends, family, and previous dalliances.

Part of the Rogue 'overshadowing' Gambit issue has to do with how they are as characters, too. Rogue has both a strong personality and a strong power-set. Some would say a ridiculously strong power set. A power set that seems to be shifted in some way every few years.

Gambit has a strong personality too (at least 90's Gambit did, and we've only really recently seen bits of its return) but his power-set has been rather stagnant since his first mini and solo run where there was lots of creativity. Asmus hit the reset button on his powers at the end of his latest solo, but no one picked up on that since, which has been pretty disappointing. It's been punch, kick, swing staff, throw card, repeat ad nauseam.

Fingers crossed that KT can show that spark of creativity with his powers for the first time in a decade.

EDIT: Actually something that would be really interesting, have something manipulate Gambit while in space, causing his powers to spike again, bringing back some references to New Sun. Neo Sun, if you will. :p Don't go that way, obviously, but it's a good way to get those two invested in the greater Marvel-verse at large if others will have to come to help them, and it would be interesting for Gambit to be the one with the power problems again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:04:11 PM by Paradox Jast »

III-IV

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
Quote from: DonPriceTag link=topic=5172.   msg73982#msg73982 date=1529522451

but I don't think Magneto's first interaction with them needs to be a whole issue.   I see him being very mature and short, possibly showing some degree of happiness towards Rogue.   He'll give them congratulations, but not more than the slightest of smirks from him so as to not come off as bitter.  .  . 

Been lurking around here for a little bit as a guest, but I had to comment on this.  .  .   why do you think Magneto (murdering genocidal dictator who put Gambit on trial and banged Rogue) needs to be shown like that? Is he now a doting great grandfather to them who needs to give his approval on their marriage?? I mean not too long ago, you people were calling him for what he really was.  .  .   has that now suddenly changed because oh look, Gambit and Rogue got married.  .  .    if anything, they should tell him to f@#* off and die!

Quote from: DearMachine link=topic=5172.   msg74014#msg74014 date=1529618711

I especially loved how Rogue actually faced what she had done, apologized for it, and didn't make excuses.     She didn't even let Gambit do his traditional "It's okay.   We don't need to do this.   "schtick.   So good.   

That's it??? That somehow makes up for.  .  .   how many decades of Gambit being nothing more than a obedient lapdog to Rogue? ???

Quote from: wantutosigh link=topic=5172.   msg74017#msg74017 date=1529622323

I really feel bad for Gambit fans who hate Rogue so much that it prevents them for really enjoying a storyline or arc due to her mere presence. 

We don't want your pity.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:18:34 PM by III-IV »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
Hi III-IV - welcome to the forum. :)
I don't think anyone intended to offend in anyway.

I think there are a lot of opinions on the Gambit, Rogue, Magneto thing. It certainly causes some debate. :)

As for dislike of a character -  that is universal with many or all characters- in general. If you can say that for one character, it can be said for all, right?

I don't think the apology in the mini was enough either but Marvel seems to think it is enough. What can you do.

I don't like Rogue - there is nothing preventing me from enjoying her because there isn't anything worthy about her. You can't miss what isn't here. So, don't take that as pity but as, you like what you like and not like what you not like.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:45:28 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »

I don't like Rogue, I don't feel I'm going to miss a thing, I've decided to not buy this book.

Are you talking about Mr. & Mrs. X? Wow Neko, that's such a shame. Like I said, I feel fortunate to not have built up this intense distaste for Rogue to where I will be missing out on an ongoing where Gambit is one of the two main characters. Yikes. To each their own. Unless I've misunderstood you.  I feel Rogue has recently been written better than she has in years and has been close to as likable as she was in the 90's when I fell in love with her.

I'm really looking forward to Rogue being known as Anna-Marie LeBeau from now on. Now she actually has a legitimate last name. I see this actually being a chance for Gambit to come back into the limelight with some dignity again finally. I was very happy with the way KT wrote Gambit and Rogue and I would expect her to just be able to expand upon what she's done so far. I'd like to see her get more into gambit's powers and abilities and get back to Gambit being a smart and cunning character again. I can hope. But those poorly drawn covers have to change soon. Gambit looks like John Travolta doing Gambit cosplay.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:51 PM »

Are you talking about Mr. & Mrs. X? Wow Neko, that's such a shame. Like I said, I feel fortunate to not have built up this intense distaste for Rogue to where I will be missing out on an ongoing where Gambit is one of the two main characters. Yikes. To each their own. Unless I've misunderstood you.  I feel Rogue has recently been written better than she has in years and has been close to as likable as she was in the 90's when I fell in love with her.

Well, do keep in mind that the Guild has been around in some part for what, the better part of 15 years or more now? Some have been following Gambit more closely than others, I myself am guilty of being on-again, off-again where Gambit in the comics is concerned. If he didn't have a decent enough role, I didn't bother. Which pretty much means since the end of his last solo, I haven't really bothered until recently.

The steadfast Gambit fans don't like Rogue because most writers obviously favor her when they are written together, and Gambit typically becomes nothing more than useless wallpaper. The same can be said of hardcore Rogue fans, they feel like Gambit just holds her back - so there are people on both sides of this.

It's going to take some effort (read: a lot of effort) to change the minds of those who have been following Gambit since at least XTAS, through all the downs and deeper downs and angst and limbo and hamstringing, etc.

If the reviews are good and Gambit actually gets some time to shine as Gambit, and not Rogue's plus one, they might change their minds. I'm actually curious to the thoughts of some old guilders that I haven't seen in a while. Canemacar. WHAGENT. NicoPony.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:27:41 PM by Paradox Jast »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:33 PM »

I'm really looking forward to Rogue being known as Anna-Marie LeBeau from now on. Now she actually has a legitimate last name. I see this actually being a chance for Gambit to come back into the limelight with some dignity again finally. I was very happy with the way KT wrote Gambit and Rogue and I would expect her to just be able to expand upon what she's done so far. I'd like to see her get more into gambit's powers and abilities and get back to Gambit being a smart and cunning character again. I can hope. But those poorly drawn covers have to change soon. Gambit looks like John Travolta doing Gambit cosplay.
Awww, I see you being sweet here.

Gambit isn't going to be anything but support in my view. As long as Rogue is (insert whatever greatest character ever by the writer thing), what do I have to look forward to when my issue is Gambit won't be anything but a sidekick. I didn't enjoy the mini so I base my view there.

I won't dwell but KT didn't do anything with Gambit.  I don't know how to express my view well, so, I'll let it go. Enjoy your book. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:29:33 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »
Been lurking around here for a little bit as a guest, but I had to comment on this.  .  .   why do you think Magneto (murdering genocidal dictator who put Gambit on trial and banged Rogue) needs to be shown like that? Is he now a doting great grandfather to them who needs to give his approval on their marriage?? I mean not too long ago, you people were calling him for what he really was.  .  .   has that now suddenly changed because oh look, Gambit and Rogue got married.  .  .    if anything, they should tell him to f@#* off and die!

I'm not entirely sure what or whom your talking about. No one here that I can recall hated Magneto. Most of us don't much like his obsessive fanbase but that's about it. I quite like Magneto. Always have. He hasn't been portrayed as emotional or petty in the past. I still maintain that it was creepy for him to record Gambit and Rogue in the cave and what he did was truly dastardly. I also never bought his conversation to heroism but his reasons for being on Utopia made sense. It's where his people were. But none of this has to do with his core personality. And either of them telling him to go off doesn't really jive with theor personalities either. Rogue sympathizes for him and Gambit has only once ever shown any distaste of him, barring his opinion of Joseph. His self loathing doesn't really allow him to hate the man, as he doesn't believe Magneto's done anything that wrong. Heck, don't even know he knows about the Antarctica tape.

Welcome to the forum.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2018, 11:29:38 PM »
I've preordered, and I'm sure some others have too, so perhaps myself or others can try to do some neutral-as-possible reviews of the first few issues and those who aren't sold can go from there.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
I've preordered, and I'm sure some others have too, so perhaps myself or others can try to do some neutral-as-possible reviews of the first few issues and those who aren't sold can go from there.
That would be great! We need those neutral-as-possible stuff. Thanks in advance!

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
I've pre-ordered as well. I'll give my opinion as well.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:36 PM »
I just wanna applaud Paradox Jast's posts on this thread. I just like how thorough and well-done they are.

(Everybody else, you're cool too.)

It surprised me how much I enjoyed Rogue and the mini, though of course I had some Issues with how some things were done (one of them being Rogue's excuse about her fling with Mags--sorry, DearMachine, but that's what it was to me). I'm going to give this new ongoing a shot and try not to be so negative. I did laugh at the little dialogue we got from KT, so that's a promising start. I want this to succeed and hope KT gives Remy interesting things to do separate of Rogue and more of a voice than in R&G.

Remy's level of forgiveness is practically Jesus-like. I find it both endearing and infuriating. He'd never tell anyone like Mags to F-off.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »

The only thing that I think is wrong with the picture is that big fat round red nose of Gambit. I don't know why but it reminds me of grumpy the dwarf from snow white.

I blame the deadpool v Gambit mini for the big roman nose.....

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
And no matter your opinion on Romy or this series, it needs a better cover artist. Blech.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds