Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70905 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
KT also brought up the fear angle, that Rogue had always been 'scared of her future.' And she's nice she had already grown up with a manipulative, abusive mutant supremist parent (mystique), running to mags would actually have been the psychological equivalent of 'running back home to mama.' Sounds very weird, but really somewhat common for former abused kids, because even though it sucks, it's 'familiar' something they were used to.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »

I would say they are - on a good day - friends. And I don’t think these are their best days in that Remy IS a little salty about Deadpool making out with Rogue. But Remy also knows that Rogue is her own person and is allowed what to do what she wants (certainly they were not together at the time) which makes it none of his business. He knows that…but emotion doesn’t always follow logic, and so, yeah, Gambit IS a bit grouchy about the Rogue/Deadpool thing (and feeling a little betrayed that Deadpool would do that). But I also think Remy is a bigger (and better man) than that and it’s not something he has to (or will) hold onto long term. He’s also, despite some jokes we made in issue 1 of R&G, a supremely confident dude (with good reason), he knows he has nothing to fear from #Dogue. ;D

I'm glad she addressed it and that's kind of how I read into it as well. Remy's probably a little jealous but doesn't let it get to him because he's, in the long-run, better than Deadpool in the romantic sense. Plus, he got the girl.

KT also brought up the fear angle, that Rogue had always been 'scared of her future.' And she's nice she had already grown up with a manipulative, abusive mutant supremist parent (mystique), running to mags would actually have been the psychological equivalent of 'running back home to mama.' Sounds very weird, but really somewhat common for former abused kids, because even though it sucks, it's 'familiar' something they were used to.

This is pretty much why I've never been a fan of Rogue/Magneto.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »

Interesting point. I've always suspected Rogue's inability to control her powers were linked to some form of abuse. I think it's well established that her lack of control is at least partly psychological, like it's a subconscious way of keeping away anyone who could potentially hurt her. Idk if that's ever been explored though. Just a theory.

As for the mind controlled aspect of Rogneto not coming up in her conversation with Gambit, maybe she doesn't want to admit to it--we know she didn't like SK's involvement with her first meeting with Remy, so I could see her not being comfortable with admitting that it happened again with Mags. Or maybe she felt like she "chose" to be with Mags despite knowing that her thoughts were not entirely her own? Idk...I thought KT did the best she could with trying to rationalize that storyline without taking a swipe at Carey and angering fans of Rogneto. It is what it is, I guess.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
Q: Been talking people off of the ledge for couple days now. Personally, I'm stoked, but some are concerned about Wade making an appearance so early in the series (I don't understand why...). I know he's probably the least threat to Rogue and Gambit's union in the pantheon of ex-"_______s" out there. I'm so looking forward to how you play these three off of each other as they all have history. Without giving anything away, of course, can you give us an idea of the tone of issue #3?

A: I guess I can understand someone being worried if they did NOT read “Ring of Fire”…but if a person read “Ring of Fire” it’s hard for me to understand their worry - that whole book is obviously a love letter to those characters and written by someone that has NO INTENTION of breaking them up anytime soon.

But just because I don’t intend to break them up, doesn’t mean stories don’t need conflict. Conflict is GOOD. Conflict allows us to see what’s strong and amazing about Rogue and Gambit, how they can battle through to fight another day, how they are magic together.

And yeah, throwing a wild card like Deadpool at them - who they both have some history with - is like throwing a tiny little bomb at their brand new marriage - but it’s the kind of bomb that can make you come out the other side stronger than ever!

The tone of issues 2 and 3, which is primarily where Deadpool appears, is best described as “high-octane fun.” :D
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
That's great! So glad that Laura and Storm are his grooms(wo)men

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
That's great! So glad that Laura and Storm are his grooms(wo)men

Me too. Glad to see his best friends with him.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
I'm happy to see them here, but at the same I kinda wish he had more people he could call 'friends'. I think Logan could have been classified as such up as recently as the X-23 first solo.

And Sage. Sort of?

I'm not counting any of those once-and-done friend/acquaintances from his solos either. But if I did? Definitely Jacob/Jackie Gavin.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »
Storm adjusting his tie! I love it!

Yeah it's a shame Logan wasn't attending.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
Gambit and Logan were friends in 90s. Now Logan died. Was dead a few years and returned. And we heard 0 thoughts about his death from Remy.

Their friendship is forgotten.

Storm and Laura are the only one who are still written as his friends.

I hope RED will change it at least a little bit. Also I think that Gambit/Deadpool has a huge potential.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
I'm happy to see them here, but at the same I kinda wish he had more people he could call 'friends'. I think Logan could have been classified as such up as recently as the X-23 first solo.

And Sage. Sort of?

I'm not counting any of those once-and-done friend/acquaintances from his solos either. But if I did? Definitely Jacob/Jackie Gavin.

I want to see Fence again.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »
Storm as Gambit's "Best Woman" makes the most sense, Laura's been very close with Remy in recent years thanks to Liu. Would've loved Wolverine, but he's strange when it comes to weddings, Bishop was very close with Gambit but they've hardly said anything to each other since X-Treme. Jubilee would've been a candidate too maybe?

For Rogue, Nightcrawler is family, so yes, but Iceman?...yes and no...I mean that road trip story was such a long time ago, Rogue and Bobby haven't really had any meaningful interactions since. With Rogue's friendships, I'd still say Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Psylocke and Rachel have had a lot more history with Rogue ahead of Iceman, especially the 80's. But I suppose Guggenheim had that story arc where Iceman and Rogue were organising a rescue team, so yeah, why not I guess...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:43:42 PM by Sparta »

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2018, 01:28:23 AM »
Haha Laura fixing his hair. I’m excited for this scene, especially since I just reread UXM 266-67. I may get emotional, not gonna lie.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2018, 04:17:04 AM »

Interesting point. I've always suspected Rogue's inability to control her powers were linked to some form of abuse. I think it's well established that her lack of control is at least partly psychological, like it's a subconscious way of keeping away anyone who could potentially hurt her. Idk if that's ever been explored though. Just a theory.

As for the mind controlled aspect of Rogneto not coming up in her conversation with Gambit, maybe she doesn't want to admit to it--we know she didn't like SK's involvement with her first meeting with Remy, so I could see her not being comfortable with admitting that it happened again with Mags. Or maybe she felt like she "chose" to be with Mags despite knowing that her thoughts were not entirely her own? Idk...I thought KT did the best she could with trying to rationalize that storyline without taking a swipe at Carey and angering fans of Rogneto. It is what it is, I guess.

Hmm the rogneto fans were a frothing after gold 30.nothing was going to stop that. Some still going on as if gambit and this marriage are an insignificant step in her life. Given her character this would be right up their in major events. Shes always abit serious about that topic.

I like that KT is leaving the triangles behind and looking for other avenies to tell stories. Now just to support her a bit.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2018, 06:33:22 AM »
Storm as Gambit's "Best Woman" makes the most sense, Laura's been very close with Remy in recent years thanks to Liu. Would've loved Wolverine, but he's strange when it comes to weddings, Bishop was very close with Gambit but they've hardly said anything to each other since X-Treme. Jubilee would've been a candidate too maybe?

For Rogue, Nightcrawler is family, so yes, but Iceman?...yes and no...I mean that road trip story was such a long time ago, Rogue and Bobby haven't really had any meaningful interactions since. With Rogue's friendships, I'd still say Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Psylocke and Rachel have had a lot more history with Rogue ahead of Iceman, especially the 80's. But I suppose Guggenheim had that story arc where Iceman and Rogue were organising a rescue team, so yeah, why not I guess...

I think people forget that before Bobby came out, in the mid 90s basically before and during road trip he was kind falling in love with Rogue. Heck two sepesepa universes he absolutely did. I think if the Bobby werew seeing turns out to be Mystique in disguise, itd make sense to me. I'd actually love that. Far-fetched I know but work with me. Mystique was mascarading as a server. She sees the proposal and between then and Rogue going to get ready jumps Bobby, KOs him and takes his place. Before she goes out "Bobby" asks for a moment alone and reveals himself to be Mystique. Insert tender moment.

It's that or Mystique is going to try to kill Gambit for making her miss her only daughter's wedding.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony