Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70885 times)

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
Quote from: bark_no_byte link=topic=5172. msg74092#msg74092 date=1529938116
I'm glad she addressed it and that's kind of how I read into it as well.  Remy's probably a little jealous but doesn't let it get to him because he's, in the long-run, better than Deadpool in the romantic sense.  Plus, he got the girl.

Plus, as Gambit pointed out, he has a face.  :D

I have faith in KT's ability to pull off the storyline, and keep it fun.  I've genuinely liked everything she's written in comics.  She got me into Jem, which I picked up on a whim from the library and really enjoyed. 

My somewhat sceptical sense is that Deadpool might be editorially mandated, though.  You have a new book, which you want to get sales.  Deadpool is huge at the moment both in and out of hard-core fandom.  You're going to find a way to get him on the cover of as many books as possible. 

As others have said, I would totally have him hit on Rogue and get shot down, and then shrug and hit on Gambit.  You know Wade would. 

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »
Interesting twist...I think it would be more in character if she didn't reveal herself and only the audience sees it.

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Quote from: AeroSennin link=topic=5172. msg74117#msg74117 date=1530001024
Hmm the rogneto fans were a frothing after gold 30. nothing was going to stop that.  Some still going on as if gambit and this marriage are an insignificant step in her life.  Given her character this would be right up their in major events.  Shes always abit serious about that topic. 

I am a bad person, because I am enjoying their frothing more than I should.  They were just so obnoxious about Gambit during the Carey years. 

I like Magneto; I think he's an iconic character with a powerful story.  I just don't get him and Rogue at all.  Like, what do they even talk about? What do they do on a date? I can't even imagine it on a purely physical level, because you know he's not that good in bed. 

And, yeah, I don't imagine that any marriage in comics is permanent.  It's the nature of the medium.  But I think this marriage will be a feature of their stories for a good few years to come, even if it was spontaneous. 

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »

I am a bad person, because I am enjoying their frothing more than I should.  They were just so obnoxious about Gambit during the Carey years.

I’m totally enjoying it.

I like Magneto; I think he's an iconic character with a powerful story.  I just don't get him and Rogue at all.  Like, what do they even talk about? What do they do on a date? I can't even imagine it on a purely physical level, because you know he's not that good in bed.

Yeah, I like to think he isn’t cause, you know, Rogneto is repulsive. I’ve been reading old issues from the late 80’s and for a bitter old man Magneto is apparently irresistible to women. I honestly don’t get his appeal at all.     

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »
I’m totally enjoying it.

Yeah, I like to think he isn’t cause, you know, Rogneto is repulsive. I’ve been reading old issues from the late 80’s and for a bitter old man Magneto is apparently irresistible to women. I honestly don’t get his appeal at all.   

That's probably why they had to de-age him haha or worse yet, create Joseph.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »

That's probably why they had to de-age him haha or worse yet, create Joseph.

Tell me about it. I roll my eyes when I think about it.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
At least Joseph made sense. I still wonder if he was truly meant to be Magneto de-aged or a clone the whole time? I mean when he's found by the nun, he's got a full beard and wearing Magneto's clothes... Then it turns out to be impostor, but that real one is really Xorn? Came off as editorial not knowing what they ultimately wanted to do and kept changing their minds.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
Well KT already said there's not going to be triangles. I dont see the problem with stirring the pot. I think it's going to be fun and humorous. Perhaps we getting too serious. Those solicits sound fun. I don't get this "shes underplaying Gambit" stuff, but Red with it's 1000 characters is supposed to be better somehow? I don't see it.

Writer vs Writer from what I've seen thus far? Tom Taylor is lacking in several areas writing the X-Men. Gambit's inclusion is the only reason I'm still reading Red. His monologues come off like Twitter rants. KT however has shown me enough that I'lI even give West Coast Avengers a try.

Red isn't billed as a book with just 2 people starring.  This book is so expectations are rightfully different.  I have no interest in seeing Gambit being the butt of Deadpool jokes about him making out with his now wife or even a hint of jealously from Gambit.  Not because I don't have a sense of humor but because it is boring, overdone and cliche.  It is pretty much wasted panel space IMO.  Deadpool and Rogue didn't have a long enough relationship for Gambit to care one iota about it and it was already dumb in the mini that he chose to address it.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
Q: Been talking people off of the ledge for couple days now. Personally, I'm stoked, but some are concerned about Wade making an appearance so early in the series (I don't understand why...). I know he's probably the least threat to Rogue and Gambit's union in the pantheon of ex-"_______s" out there. I'm so looking forward to how you play these three off of each other as they all have history. Without giving anything away, of course, can you give us an idea of the tone of issue #3?

A: I guess I can understand someone being worried if they did NOT read “Ring of Fire”…but if a person read “Ring of Fire” it’s hard for me to understand their worry - that whole book is obviously a love letter to those characters and written by someone that has NO INTENTION of breaking them up anytime soon.

But just because I don’t intend to break them up, doesn’t mean stories don’t need conflict. Conflict is GOOD. Conflict allows us to see what’s strong and amazing about Rogue and Gambit, how they can battle through to fight another day, how they are magic together.

And yeah, throwing a wild card like Deadpool at them - who they both have some history with - is like throwing a tiny little bomb at their brand new marriage - but it’s the kind of bomb that can make you come out the other side stronger than ever!

The tone of issues 2 and 3, which is primarily where Deadpool appears, is best described as “high-octane fun.” :D

Think the issue is the conflict is one sided.  Deadpool isn't going to be making moves on Gambit.  It will be Rogue.  So once again Rogue is the center of attention and Gambit has to in theory justify why he is worthy of her.  Not the other way around.  Gambit pledged he will try to always be worthy of her implying it is something he has to actively pursue.  Meanwhile Rogue basically promised that "hey even if I screw around with other dudes like Mags or Deadpool," I will always find my way back to you.  It just always feels like Rogue is the prize and will always be the prize and Gambit will forever be tested.  Meanwhile, whatever happens, Rogue doesn't really have to try at the relationship.  All she has to do is be willing to be with Gambit and he will always be ready to take her back.  There is nothing that currently suggests Rogue will ever have to prove worthy of Gambit's love.  So the relationship is always on her terms.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:21:30 PM by remydat »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »

Best thing to come out of the news thus far.

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »
Quote from: remydat link=topic=5172. msg74128#msg74128 date=1530040366

Think the issue is the conflict is one sided.   Deadpool isn't going to be making moves on Gambit.   It will be Rogue.   So once again Rogue is the center of attention and Gambit has to in theory justify why he is worthy of her.   Not the other way around.   Gambit pledged he will try to always be worthy of her implying it is something he has to actively pursue.   Meanwhile Rogue basically promised that "hey even if I screw around with other dudes like Mags or Deadpool," I will always find my way back to you.   It just always feels like Rogue is the prize and will always be the prize and Gambit will forever be tested.   Meanwhile, whatever happens, Rogue doesn't really have to try at the relationship.   All she has to do is be willing to be with Gambit and he will always be ready to take her back.   There is nothing that currently suggests Rogue will ever have to prove worthy of Gambit's love.   So the relationship is always on her terms.

From what KT has said, I don't think she's going to play the Deadpool issue for any real drama.  It's not going to be a love triangle.  I imagine that it's going to be fun and silly.  Deadpool will hit on Rogue, and she will shoot him down hard.  She's still basically on her honeymoon, after all.  She's not a monster.  At that point, he may very well make moves on Gambit.  He's pansexual.  He would do someone as hot as Gambit in a heartbeat, and KT has queer representation in some of her other books. 

And Rogue's vows were actually much sweeter than you may be giving her credit for.  She's not saying that she will indiscriminately have sex with other men, and expect him to forgive her.  She's responding to a speech that Gambit made in Legacy, and telling him that she's decided to come home to him and make him her end-point.  I'll attach the relevant panel. 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

Red isn't billed as a book with just 2 people starring.

Your right. I think it's up to 10 now. ;)
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »

From what KT has said, I don't think she's going to play the Deadpool issue for any real drama.  It's not going to be a love triangle.  I imagine that it's going to be fun and silly.  Deadpool will hit on Rogue, and she will shoot him down hard.  She's still basically on her honeymoon, after all.  She's not a monster.  At that point, he may very well make moves on Gambit.  He's pansexual.  He would do someone as hot as Gambit in a heartbeat, and KT has queer representation in some of her other books. 

And Rogue's vows were actually much sweeter than you may be giving her credit for.  She's not saying that she will indiscriminately have sex with other men, and expect him to forgive her.  She's responding to a speech that Gambit made in Legacy, and telling him that she's decided to come home to him and make him her end-point.  I'll attach the relevant panel.

I don't expect him to go after Gambit at all. Not sure why anyone is going that way. He'll crack jokes and to be honest, due to Deadpool's 4th-wall breaking omnipresence it makes sense for him to show up so soon. Any longer would be odd due to his lack of decorum. I lot of people on both sides of this issue are taking things too seriously.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »

I don't think there will be a love triangle as it is obvious Rogue will choose Gambit.  I simply think having Deadpool there and making any move on Rogue even in jest just reinforces the idea that she is the prize or desirable one.  When is the last time Rogue was made to feel she had to compete for Gambit's affection?  His solo with Asmus?  2 issues in and Gambit is already sharing panel time with a former love interest of Rogue's?  Why should that interest me?

And I know what Rogue was referring to with her vow.  It isn't endearing or sweet to me because I know what she did to Gambit right after that speech.  She made a mockery of the speech by using it as an excuse to sleep with someone that nearly caused Gambit's death.  So no need to produce the panel unless you also going to produce the panel where Rogue said Gambit was right that in matters of love, reasons for and against fall away right before banging Mags.  That was really sweet of her to respond to Gambit's speech like that but glad she finally found her way back to him after banging/making out with a few dudes.  Can't wait until she has to sow more wild oats because at least she will find her way back to him eventually.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:06:04 PM by remydat »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »

Thanks for providing the context (and image)! I'd forgotten about that happening.

Also, I like your new avatar!