Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70958 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »

I don't think there will be a love triangle as it is obvious Rogue will choose Gambit.  I simply think having Deadpool there and making any move on Rogue even in jest just reinforces the idea that she is the prize or desirable one.  When is the last time Rogue was made to feel she had to compete for Gambit's affection?  His solo with Asmus?  2 issues in and Gambit is already sharing panel time with a former love interest of Rogue's?  Why should that interest me?

And I know what Rogue was referring to with her vow.  It isn't endearing or sweet to me because I know what she did to Gambit right after that speech.  She made a mockery of the speech by using it as an excuse to sleep with someone that nearly caused Gambit's death.  So no need to produce the panel unless you also going to produce the panel where Rogue said Gambit was right that in matters of love, reasons for and against fall away right before banging Mags.  That was really sweet of her to respond to Gambit's speech like that but glad she finally found her way back to him after banging/making out with a few dudes.  Can't wait until she has to sow more wild oats because at least she will find her way back to him eventually.

Little foggy... Havent you been saying Gambit shouldn't care about her past partners?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
I'm in maybe the unusual position of loving Gambit and Rogue equally as characters.  They are both my precious children. 

I agree that Rogue has been presented as more of a prize, which is why I genuinely would enjoy the reversal of Deadpool going after Gambit.  I actually wish Gambit saw Rogue as less of a prize, and more as the equally messed-up, imperfect person that she is.  It would be healthier for both of them. 

As to the older events, I guess I don't see Rogue as being at fault in deciding to sleep with other people.  Gambit made his terms clear, and she wasn't at a point where she was willing or even perhaps able to accept them, out of fear or flightiness or something else.  That's her perogative.  It doesn't matter how much someone loves you; you aren't obligated to return their feelings.  Knowing that, he did not need to wait for her.  That's ultimately his decision.  Or, rather, the writers' decision. 

Besides, it's not like he didn't sleep with other people during their time apart.  Probably way, way more than Rogue did, based on what she said about getting those phone calls.  And, again, he's not at fault for doing that.   

With that said, don't get me wrong.  Marvel has treated Gambit horribly, and have used Rogue to do that.  It's part of the reason why I stopped reading the  books for five years.  I just am optimistic that Marvel is turning it around now.  Gambit is in three books, including an ongoing that focuses 50% on him and almost certainly will try to fix a lot of the crap that has happened to him.  That's pretty exciting to me.  :)

Basically, I guess that I blamed the writers and not Rogue, and expressed my feelings with my wallet. 

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
I think the best feeling that explains a large chunk of this board would have to be 'very cautiously optimistic'. (Deep down, I think even remydat has a little bit of optimism that is begging to be heard).  :P

At this point I'll be reserving any further judgement on either until I see the book. Just a couple more weeks.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

Little foggy... Havent you been saying Gambit shouldn't care about her past partners?

Yes but the point is, he is not necessarily written that way.  In the mini, instead of not caring, he was asking about the kiss.  Like WTF, 90s Gambit woud not have given a sh*t about that.  Deadpool is a blip on the radar. And I suspect there will be some sort of scene in this book where Gambit will express some sort of concern about Deadpool even if it is in a humorous way.  From my perspective as a Gambit fan, I think that is garbage.  They just got married and I already have to read about Rogue's Ex and a see a cover where Deadpool is squeezing out Gambit?  I get that for some people it will be amusing.  There was a time where I would have found it amusing too when that sort of humor was equally distributed.  But it is always the case now that those kind's of jokes are always at Gambit's expense particularly when Rogue is involved.
Perhaps over the course of the series, there will be a tit for tat and equal representation and when that is evident, I may revisit this book in trade but I have no reason to believe that because even in the mini, as well written as it was, Rogue was still the obvious star and the subject for which the mini was built around.  And now this arc will apparently revolve around her and her two most recent love interests.  In the end though, to each his/her own.  We don't all have to like the same things.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:23:16 PM by DonPriceTag »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
Cautious is fair. And for whatever it's worth, KT had input in the wedding issue, but Guggenheim wrote it. During the find my way back line, the focus turns to kitty and peter. I think he was probably referencing the harbor speech, but also trying to leave that kitty/peter door open for future stories.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:20:42 PM by anya »

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
I'm in maybe the unusual position of loving Gambit and Rogue equally as characters.  They are both my precious children. 

I agree that Rogue has been presented as more of a prize, which is why I genuinely would enjoy the reversal of Deadpool going after Gambit.  I actually wish Gambit saw Rogue as less of a prize, and more as the equally messed-up, imperfect person that she is.  It would be healthier for both of them. 

As to the older events, I guess I don't see Rogue as being at fault in deciding to sleep with other people.  Gambit made his terms clear, and she wasn't at a point where she was willing or even perhaps able to accept them, out of fear or flightiness or something else.  That's her perogative.  It doesn't matter how much someone loves you; you aren't obligated to return their feelings.  Knowing that, he did not need to wait for her.  That's ultimately his decision.  Or, rather, the writers' decision. 

Besides, it's not like he didn't sleep with other people during their time apart.  Probably way, way more than Rogue did, based on what she said about getting those phone calls.  And, again, he's not at fault for doing that.   

With that said, don't get me wrong.  Marvel has treated Gambit horribly, and have used Rogue to do that.  It's part of the reason why I stopped reading the  books for five years.  I just am optimistic that Marvel is turning it around now.  Gambit is in three books, including an ongoing that focuses 50% on him and almost certainly will try to fix a lot of the crap that has happened to him.  That's pretty exciting to me.  :)

Basically, I guess that I blamed the writers and not Rogue, and expressed my feelings with my wallet. 

I fall in the same category as you, liking both characters equally. I find myself at times defending (or not) either character's behaviour at different times for different plots. It's enough to make your head spin sometimes, hence why I too like to blame the writers.  ;)  That's the crux of comics, sometimes you get a writer who sees a character the way you do, other times not so much.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »

Rogue can sleep with who she wants but the consequence is when she says what she does at the altar, my first thought is the harbor speech and my second thought is her banging Mags right after said harbor speech.  So I am sure the writers intent was for it to be sweet and endearing but the implications of what she said takes on a different meaning when you know what she did right after that harbor speech.  So I was simply explaining why her vows were not sweet to me at all but I get other people may react differently to it.

Further, it is just a huge contrast.  Gambit is essentially saying he will always strive to be worthy of her which is a firm commitment while Rogue is already thinking of things not working out and finding her way back to him.  I think it is a perfect microcosm of my issue with the relationship.  Gambit only ever wants to prove himself to Rogue while Rogue is always thinking about how things can go wrong albeit this time, she is saying if they do she will find a way back to him.  I suppose that is progress but personally I'd prefer my wife be unequivocally optimistic rather than building in caveats or out clauses in her vows.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
I think the best feeling that explains a large chunk of this board would have to be 'very cautiously optimistic'. (Deep down, I think even remydat has a little bit of optimism that is begging to be heard).  :P

At this point I'll be reserving any further judgement on either until I see the book. Just a couple more weeks.

Oh I certainly would prefer for my concerns to not materialize as I grew up on XTAS Romy which had the right balance of conflict but ultimately commitment between the two characters.  Unfortunately I suppose the comic book writers wanted their version of Romy to seem more adult than a children's cartoon so over the years they have written a Rogue that I ultimately despise from the perspective of her relationship with Gambit.  Just once I would love Rogue to unequivocally tell Gambit, he will always be worthy of her and that she now needs to prove she is worthy of his undying love as it was Gambit not Rogue that carried that flame.  It is Gambit not Rogue that always believed in them.  And it is Rogue not Gambit that needs to prove she truly loves Gambit.

I still haven't seen that proof yet and not sure I will ever see it so long as writers continue to write Rogue as the prize.  I honestly can't think of a single thing Rogue has done in the comics in the last decade to suggest she is worthy of Gambit's love.  She has not done anything recently to put herself out there on a limb for him.  Even in the mini, she didn't put herself out there.  She was force fed a solution to her reservations by absorbing memories.

Where the hell is the girl that threw herself on top of Gambit and took a stake to the heart?  Where is the girl that refused to let him accept death and go to heaven and dragged him back from the death itself?  Rogue hasn't fought this relationship since Gambit became death and deep down I think Romy fans know that to be true.  But sure, I hope KT will show me that Rogue at some point and not this version of Rogue where Gambit's love comes cheap.

In fact, at this point, I would count Sinister as a better friend to Gambit than Rogue or Storm for that matter and frankly I am shocked he didn't turn up to the wedding as Gambit's best man.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:40:51 PM by remydat »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Skottie Young art
?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1ofjfqlmxf173
In the R&G thread too. :)

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »
In fact, at this point, I would count Sinister as a better friend to Gambit than Rogue or Storm for that matter and frankly I am shocked he didn't turn up to the wedding as Gambit's best man.

... I smell the perfect plot for a one-shot fanfiction.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2018, 02:27:20 AM »

Agree.
It was a spontaneous wedding. Essex just don`t care about Kitty and Colossus.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »

You see... you've all made Sinister into a clown you can put into a monkey suit and be the Wedding bouncer. Sinister, Mr. Sinister is not here f'joke!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
By Lucio Parrillo
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgtJPHaXcAERJar.jpg:large

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
Don't like Gambit's hair and it is clearly not a bo stuff in his hand.

Not a fan of this pic.

So far I kinda like only Ramos variant. All others are not very good.

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
I posted about this on cbr but I wanted to see what you guys think.  I read Mystery in Madripoor #2 and Rogue and Storm are being held in the same room as a captured mind-sapped Magneto.  It's safe to assume that all three will be free at some point.  I'm very interested to see how Rogue and Magneto interact.  This could be their first meaningful interaction since she turned down his proposal in Legacy.  Hopefully their dialogue doesn't cast doubts on Gambit and Rogue's relationship, and hopefully doesn't make Remy look bad/like a chump. I already wasn't a huge fan of their wedding vows (especially Rogue's) and we know Zub isn't a fan of Romy.  How do you guys think Rogue and Magneto's interaction will go?

Does anybody know if Mystery in Madripoor takes place before or after R&G, and Xmen Gold #30?