Author Topic: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30  (Read 70910 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Mr&Mrs X finally revealed. Spoilers from X-Men Gold #30
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »
Itt is just a bad organization from Marvel.
Even when Solicits for September 2018 arrived MMX was still announced as classified in it. That's funny because the day before Marvel announced that classified was MMX.

It really is and I have a feeling it could really hurt sales

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
My shop is pretty on top of everything.. they were already talking about it when I walked in the store after it's reveal
Who Dat

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »
That's interesting. I had put it down to our comic shop being disorganized. They sometimes forget to pull stuff off their shelves for us, or throw in the odd random book that I hadn't ordered. We mostly support them because they're like a minute walk from where my husband works, and generally seem to be good people who aren't weird about me being a female fan. I think it's important to support your local shops too.

But it sounds like it's a broader trend. Marvel really should be promoting the crap out of this, especially with keeping it under wraps for so long. DC is on top of the Batman/Catwoman wedding. They've had little fliers in the store for weeks.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
I realized earlier today, thats there's at least 10 hours between Kitty and Pete's wedding and Gambit and Rogues. It was sunset during the first and it appears to be sunrise at the 2nd. I think the possibility of Mystique being present is very high. That's a lot of time to fill in one issue.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.

As for Marvel taking the series more seriously - I think they are starting to take the X-Men more seriously in general sense. It's a gradual thing, but it's something I've noticed more often that other comic sites have been saying too, so I know I'm not alone in thinking that. I'll honestly admit to being an on-again, off-again comic reader (mostly because I only read for Gambit) but I do still drop in from time to time to keep abreast of the goings-on. It's been a mess for pretty much a decade, but my personal opinion is that they are now starting to get a lot of people in there that grew up on XTAS, and its gradually showing more and more.

Well, that and the MCU very very likely helps that too. I can't know for sure, obviously, but I'm pretty sure the upper-echelons in Marvel had hints that a deal was in the works for a while. I recall reading about the timing, they were talking about Gambit and Rogue weddings back in the end of last year - so get them together now, then use them as figureheads to prop up the X-Men's entry into the MCU? Considering we only actually got a brief glimpse of Gambit in a movie that was 'meh', and Rogue was... uh, not Rogue.

Yeah, I really thought the push for Gambit was because of the Gambit film, but the way that film is going right now, who knows? Maybe they're thinking of their takeover of Fox. I'm very curious to see if they're going to go for the Scott/Jean angle yet again (lord knows Fox has done the Dark Phoenix storyline twice now  ::) ) or shake things up and introduce another couple, like Gambit & Rogue.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2018, 12:24:52 AM »

That would truly be something... Sinister. But X-Men hasn't been that dark in a long time.

I wouldn't worry about Zub. A few months about at the mid point of R&G, Zub, KT and Duggan all started exchanging barbs. Friendly but they we're so close and frequent I think it was about the time when editorial called the audible on the wedding. Something like that obviously would derail both writer's plans; Zub using Torch and Duggan with Wade, of course. As weak as marvel editorial has been, I doubt they are going to let a mini undermine two ongoings.
I don’t know,.. I think that was a jerk move from Zub.  I don’t know what he knew about the wedding, but he did know about the mini and he still set up the Rogue/torch thing. Turns out that he also knew UA was ending after no surrender, so it would also be pointless, but he went ahead and tried to undermine another writer’s project and basically laughed about it. 
Ultimately all the writers ‘inserting’ themselves all over the place ;D   sort of helped KT’s story, because since the other ships ended up being short lived, they didn’t seem ‘serious’ so she didn’t have to treat them seriously.   But as of now, in relation to MiM, it will depend on if Zub thinks it would be funny to try and screw up KT’s story again...  >:( 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:29:24 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
I suspect editorial would step in at that point, though. Part of their job is to make sure that the books have some semblance of continuity, and the mini is post R&G at least. They may not have done it earlier, because the timelines of the books weren't that clear in relation to each other.

Also, uh, Zub isn't a huge name. He's not a Morrison, Bendis, or Rucka where they'll shape the books around his vision. Whatever you think of Marvel, they aren't going to give a second-stringer the go-ahead to eff up a new ongoing in a mini.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
I suspect editorial would step in at that point, though. Part of their job is to make sure that the books have some semblance of continuity, and the mini is post R&G at least. They may not have done it earlier, because the timelines of the books weren't that clear in relation to each other.

Also, uh, Zub isn't a huge name. He's not a Morrison, Bendis, or Rucka where they'll shape the books around his vision. Whatever you think of Marvel, they aren't going to give a second-stringer the go-ahead to eff up a new ongoing in a mini.

My thoughts exactly. I believe Marvel at the least has some idea of what's a priority at this point in the game. I'm still concerned that they aren't launching MMX properly in terms of visibility.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
I realized earlier today, thats there's at least 10 hours between Kitty and Pete's wedding and Gambit and Rogues. It was sunset during the first and it appears to be sunrise at the 2nd. I think the possibility of Mystique being present is very high. That's a lot of time to fill in one issue.

Maybe Mags will show up and Rogue will promise him just one more night again.  We all know how Rogue likes to get a little crazy with Mags after Gambit pours his heart out to her.  >:D
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2018, 04:12:31 AM »

Maybe Mags will show up and Rogue will promise him just one more night again.  We all know how Rogue likes to get a little crazy with Mags after Gambit pours his heart out to her.  >:D

Now are different writers and editors. I think Quasada is the only one who is left from that time that could in some way has smth to do with crap Legacy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:20:14 PM by purplevit »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »

Now are different writers and editors. I think Quasada is the only one who is left from that time that could in some way has smth to do with crap Legacy

Turnover definitely helps.
Who Dat

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2018, 02:26:44 AM »
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop logging into Gambit Guild.

Initial thought

I mean, I prefer not to side with Remydat, Neko and Toad in things Rogue and Gambit, but I shall remain skeptical. Still, I guess I'm gonna have to buy this Mr and Mrs X... maybe it will be  :gambit:

I mean, apparently it's based on DonPriceTag's ideas... what's going on with this world? :p
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:37:43 AM by M »

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
I mean, I prefer not to side with Remydat, Neko and Toad in things Rogue and Gambit, but I shall remain skeptical. Still, I guess I'm gonna have to buy this Mr and Mrs X... maybe it will be  :gambit:

I mean, apparently it's based on DonPriceTag's ideas... what's going on with this world? :p

I am sure it will be. I trust Kelly Thompson's ability to write Gambit and Rogue. She did an outstanding job with cleaning up the huge mess that was their history in the miniseries. She's now got a clean slate, and can just make it fun and sexy and  :gambit: .

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop logging into Gambit Guild.

Initial thought

You missed the bomb droping? It was quite the interesting week..

But yeah, Thompson did a great job on the mini, so I am hopeful for the moment...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
ha! been trying to be good, can't.

My initial response:
Never wanted this ongoing, Gambit will be reduced to a handbag, there is no built in trust with the writer for me. It will be about Rogue and all will be happy about his powers and not care that his character has been reduced to support Rogue. I'm calling that now, if I'm wrong, okay, I can live with it. In fact .... prove me wrong ... I want to see strong characterization for Gambit .... let him shine.

And for the first time, I'm not going to support Gambit in a book he is part of because, he will be a glorified husband .... its a major change for both characters but the only one who will shine is Rogue. (speculating on my part). But as much clean up as KT did, it was Rogue's benefit, not Gambit's. I bought that mini, and Rogue was the winner in it.
(>sarcasm)Rogue - give Remy the honey do list and then she'll go get into whatever and save the day ... oh wait, "Gambit, let me borrow your powers, don't forget the bathroom ..." (<sarcasm}

There is the salt or tea for the day from me. My disclaimer as always ... if you love it, buy it, enjoy it. I'm glad you got your hea.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:19:02 AM by Nekobaghira »