Author Topic: What is wrong in Comics?  (Read 7900 times)

Offline JJB26

• Winning
  • X-Man Legend
Re: What is wrong in Comics?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »
I think the internet has had a profoundly negative impact on not only comics but other forms of entertainment as well. A vocal minority can band together on twitter, tumblr, instagram and facebook, and make themselves seem like they represent the sentiments of the entire fan base. Far too often the publishers have bent to the whims of these malcontents, and its put the creators in a box in terms of the type of content they can produce.
I'm no criminal. I just do as I please.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
I think you are right JJB26. There is a small vocal group that work hard to be heard and for some reason are heard. When the silent majority have other things to worry about than whatever the "flavor of the day" complaint.

I can recall when AOL was some big deal with publishers/writers .. etc. Now its Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook. I understand the "insta-feedback", but why? - To be better and provide what the fandom wants, so that the entertainment medium gets a response for popularity. Great for wanting to provide but already late as it were. Don't let the minority rule the day. Its already in the past. They couldn't fix a complaint for months anyway, might as well see where the story/movie/song goes as it were.

I get wanting to keep an audience but there is nothing in the publishing/entertainment industry that is immediate. All that can be hoped for is liking or not of whatever was presented. They all work in advance, how is the "comment today" gonna change the next issue of whatever. It can't. It's already done. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed down the line, because I've seen that with entertainment medium, it just isn't swift.  ;D

I'm so done with the entitlement of fans for whatever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:22:46 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
@bigbarda You brought up a good point with the 'good old days' thing. I read an article awhile ago that said talked abut how most people keep the same music taste they've developed by 30 and a different one about people cherry picking past memories. If I can find them, I'll link them but the one on music taste might be a decade old by now

@Don I do agree that there is much less of a draw for comics. Video games and Netflix are the focus of most people it seems. We might get another Harry Potter craze but I won't hold my breath for it and I love books more than any other medium

Offline JJB26

• Winning
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:56:45 AM »
I think you are right JJB26. There is a small vocal group that work hard to be heard and for some reason are heard. When the silent majority have other things to worry about than whatever the "flavor of the day" complaint.

I can recall when AOL was some big deal with publishers/writers .. etc. Now its Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook. I understand the "insta-feedback", but why? - To be better and provide what the fandom wants, so that the entertainment medium gets a response for popularity. Great for wanting to provide but already late as it were. Don't let the minority rule the day. Its already in the past. They couldn't fix a complaint for months anyway, might as well see where the story/movie/song goes as it were.

I get wanting to keep an audience but there is nothing in the publishing/entertainment industry that is immediate. All that can be hoped for is liking or not of whatever was presented. They all work in advance, how is the "comment today" gonna change the next issue of whatever. It can't. It's already done. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed down the line, because I've seen that with entertainment medium, it just isn't swift.  ;D

I'm so done with the entitlement of fans for whatever.
If you're a creator you have to keep in mind that the internet outrage brigade don't genuinely love comics. They just get off on having publishers capitulate to their demands. Its their only source of fulfillment in their miserable lives.  ;D

I know some members of the Guild like Kelly Thompson's depiction of Gambit, but she was one of the pioneers of this internet lynch mob mentality, and I still somewhat hold that against her.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 07:00:44 AM »
Oh yeah, I know what she was a part of, but just like I don't care who she voted for, what sex she perfers or likes cats or dogs; I just want to enjoy my past time without any of that being a factor. And she does that unlike half of Marvel these days. But she's no angel in all of this either. Again, that's got nothing to do with writing a comic. To this day I've got no idea what Fabien is into and I'm cool with that. Though he did pop up on my feed with yesterday with this mantra.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
Not throwing shade - she may not have said something but has a position none the less. She's not hiding her stance.

Fabian - I don't know ... again .... why is there a concerted effort for awareness.

I think there is some over reaction to something but whatever.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:01:35 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »
Yeah. And that's the thing though. I don't really care about their personal stances unless it effects the story I'm reading.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
Not everyone has that view.

edit:
Whether people like it or not, they can be swayed and easily by things.

Clearly something happened, enough for those in a profession to say something. I'm not gonna follow the money to find out for this particular thing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:05:57 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline JJB26

• Winning
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I know what she was a part of, but just like I don't care who she voted for, what sex she perfers or likes cats or dogs; I just want to enjoy my past time without any of that being a factor. And she does that unlike half of Marvel these days. But she's no angel in all of this either. Again, that's got nothing to do with writing a comic. To this day I've got no idea what Fabien is into and I'm cool with that. Though he did pop up on my feed with yesterday with this mantra.
I feel ya. I don't wish any misfortune on her and I'd still buy the comics she writes if she's doing right by my favorite characters. I guess its just hard for me to disassociate her with that time period in comics and outrage culture in general.