Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #3  (Read 10674 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Mr and Mrs X #3
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »

Fantastic issue! Best written Gambit in years.
Loved so much things. Definetely a must read for Gambit fans because it is a Gambit centric issue.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 01:54:52 PM »
Fantastic issue! Best written Gambit in years.
Loved so much things. Definetely a must read for Gambit fans because it is a Gambit centric issue.

I enjoyed it too. Gambit was definitely the main character in this issue.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
I can't be your cheerleader for this book. Somebody needs to pick up the pom poms. And only 2 replies on release day? Even on CBR there is little chatter. Though, I don't spend time on the main forum. 

4 posts in the appreciation thread for the book, 1 in G's and no mention in the "new" Rogue thread.

The silence says something .....

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
There is a variant cover for #3 ...... and its pricey. My shop is selling for $50, not sure how much it will go for on Ebay.

Noto is the artist on the variant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:01:05 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
There is a variant cover for #3 ...... and its pricey. My shop is selling for $50, not sure how much it will go for on Ebay.

Noto is the artist on the variant.

Not a fan of Noto variant. It don't cost such money.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »
Its a 1 in 25 deal with shops. Means, that the shop has order 25 of #3 to get one cover. Shops want to re-coop what will sit on shelves. And I don't even know which book has to be ordered to get one cover.

In theory one would like to think of the book the variant is for but that isn't always the case with incentive programs from Marvel.

Info based on this site:

https://www.comic-odyssey.com/product/mr-and-mrs-x-3-noto-var
I think the cover is a romantic one - looks good to me and I do love to buy variants but I do have a price limit on them.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:09:11 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
Its a 1 in 25 deal with shops. Means, that the shop has order 25 of #3 to get one cover. Shops want to re-coop what will sit on shelves. And I don't even know which book has to be ordered to get one cover.

In theory one would like to think of the book the variant is for but that isn't always the case with incentive programs from Marvel.

Info based on this site:

https://www.comic-odyssey.com/product/mr-and-mrs-x-3-noto-var

Sorry, I explained myself wrong. I think that variant is not drawn good enough for such big money. It may cost $50 or more but it is not good and shouldn't cost so much. Or should be drawn much better to cost so much.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
Sorry, I explained myself wrong. I think that variant is not drawn good enough for such big money. It may cost $50 or more but it is not good and shouldn't cost so much. Or should be drawn much better to cost so much.
Okay, gotcha.

Online anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
I like it. If my shop has it I get it, but my shop doesn't seem to be big on variants. So I'll probably go to eBay.

I'll bust out my Pom-poke here...really liked the issue, the plot is thinkens...so gladiator and cerise are worked my together on something...lil 'Sandra' is cute, even if chance are good she ends up in limbo after this. Gambit got some good action on ups scenes and was very useful (been awhile since a good action showing. Deadpool's gone now, for those who didn't like him.

Edit:it's spelled Pom-poms stupid auto correct!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:34:52 PM by anya »

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
The action was great, the plot was nicely placed, the dialog was good and Deadpool is gone. The last page kind of reminded me of what Luke and Han said to each other in Return of the Jedi, "How we doing?" "Same as always." "That bad, huh?"
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Online anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Lol, it was a little like that. So I guess next issue will pick up on whatever shi'ar planet they're on now.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »
Silence isn't indicative. At least not disinterest. Been doing more writing than I thought I'd be lately. The issue was super solid. Probably the best out of the 3 so far. Really impressed by KT handling of Gambit in particular. Although, he came off a bit heavy handed in the end. Not sure why she had him react that way. The action was great, especially in the 4-panel spreads. I'll link the review when it's up. Several very funny lines. Loved how much lore and embracing of continuity we got.

As for traffic here about it... People will warm back up to talking about it here eventually I think. In the beginning there was some tension. And no, it's not fixed by talking less. It's fixed through engagement. No has to think the same way.

You know, is what it is. We start having good conversations it'll come back. Conversation at cbr (not involved there either, again been busy) and Twitter is pretty high. The book is good. Outside of a couple corny lines the book didn't have any flaws. Got my first 9 from me.

I'll start. The Gambit / Deadpool fight scene and conversation was the highlight of the issue for me. She took something that could have slowed down the whole book and made it shine. At the same time addressed the elephant in the room. Even though Gambit didn't engage Wade on it, KT directed the initiation of the kiss at who it should have gone to, which was Rogue. She did kiss him, not the other way around. I think it was something to clear the air and opens up for cleaner interactions between the two in the future. At the same time, there's no rule that says I need to be cool with a guy I know made out with my wife. Single or not at the time, what? Let's go get some beer? @&#& for? lol
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
I quite liked the book as well. Was going to get it anyway but was looking forward to reading it because of what you all were saying. Though, I didn't enjoy the action scene as much as all of you, there was a moment where I was jarred out because I thought the guards had just been copy pasted from a prior part of the fight.Beside that, it was a very fluid feeling scene with the banter and the action. Holds up better on the second read of it.

It does remind me a bit of some of the 90s style of stories, where you have the moments of humanity interspersed with the action and the plot advancement.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
Decent enough issue.  Just nothing here that really excites me.  Also thought Gambit casually discussing DP killing and maiming people was off.  I don't like DP in general because of his casual killing so that may play into it.

All in all this is fun but doesn't really move the needle for me.  Even the fight scene which is well done is against some no name stooges that no one cares about.  Would be more exciting if it was against someone of relevance.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »
I have been enjoying Mr&Mrs X series. I would say this was the best issue so far. I think Deadpool was taking too much oxygen from the story, but he tends to do that in most of his appearances. Strongest character beat for Gambit thus far was DP/his raid on the ship against Deathbird. Also making clear about his moral compass with Rogue was nice.Gambit is a hero just like the rest of the X-Men.

In general I have liked Gambit's character trajectory in 2018. In the darkest days post Xtreme X-Men, I felt Marvel was allowing people to write Gambit without any respect for the character. Never mind that they had no real plans to make use of him. Now Gambit is being written just as well as any character in any book he is appearing in.

I am quite interested in the fate of Xavier/Lilandra child. Much more in fact than the fate of the 1960's teen X-Men when or if they return home.