Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #3  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Mr and Mrs X #3
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Decent enough issue.  Just nothing here that really excites me.  Also thought Gambit casually discussing DP killing and maiming people was off.  I don't like DP in general because of his casual killing so that may play into it.

All in all this is fun but doesn't really move the needle for me.  Even the fight scene which is well done is against some no name stooges that no one cares about.  Would be more exciting if it was against someone of relevance.
Thats all he has ever beat up for years, its a valid criticism and certain one that we've heard before no matter who is writing him.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »
Silence isn't indicative. At least not disinterest. Been doing more writing than I thought I'd be lately. The issue was super solid. Probably the best out of the 3 so far. Really impressed by KT handling of Gambit in particular. Although, he came off a bit heavy handed in the end. Not sure why she had him react that way. The action was great, especially in the 4-panel spreads. I'll link the review when it's up. Several very funny lines. Loved how much lore and embracing of continuity we got.

As for traffic here about it... People will warm back up to talking about it here eventually I think. In the beginning there was some tension. And no, it's not fixed by talking less. It's fixed through engagement. No has to think the same way.

You know, is what it is. We start having good conversations it'll come back. Conversation at cbr (not involved there either, again been busy) and Twitter is pretty high. The book is good. Outside of a couple corny lines the book didn't have any flaws. Got my first 9 from me.

I'll start. The Gambit / Deadpool fight scene and conversation was the highlight of the issue for me. She took something that could have slowed down the whole book and made it shine. At the same time addressed the elephant in the room. Even though Gambit didn't engage Wade on it, KT directed the initiation of the kiss at who it should have gone to, which was Rogue. She did kiss him, not the other way around. I think it was something to clear the air and opens up for cleaner interactions between the two in the future. At the same time, there's no rule that says I need to be cool with a guy I know made out with my wife. Single or not at the time, what? Let's go get some beer? @&#& for? lol

I agree.
As for me the highlight of issue was Gambit and Rogue conversation about Remy's moral compass. That scene was definetely smth that I wasn't expecting. Also loved how Oscar made half of Gambit's face in shedows on this panel.

This issue had the best art from 3 so far. My favourite one.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
I have been enjoying Mr&Mrs X series. I would say this was the best issue so far. I think Deadpool was taking too much oxygen from the story, but he tends to do that in most of his appearances. Strongest character beat for Gambit thus far was DP/his raid on the ship against Deathbird. Also making clear about his moral compass with Rogue was nice.Gambit is a hero just like the rest of the X-Men.

In general I have liked Gambit's character trajectory in 2018. In the darkest days post Xtreme X-Men, I felt Marvel was allowing people to write Gambit without any respect for the character. Never mind that they had no real plans to make use of him. Now Gambit is being written just as well as any character in any book he is appearing in.

I am quite interested in the fate of Xavier/Lilandra child. Much more in fact than the fate of the 1960's teen X-Men when or if they return home.

I was actually surprised that they gave such a big plot point to this book. It says a lot for what KT will be allowed to do in the future.

Here's my full review; http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/09/21/comic-book-review-mr-and-mrs-x-3/
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »

I was actually surprised that they gave such a big plot point to this book. It says a lot for what KT will be allowed to do in the future.

Here's my full review; http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/09/21/comic-book-review-mr-and-mrs-x-3/

Good work. My favourite part: It’s been a long time since he’s demonstrated this level of fighting prowess (without being mind-controlled), confidence, and during his dealings with Deathbird, diplomacy

Offline belay

• Guild Member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

Good work. My favourite part: It’s been a long time since he’s demonstrated this level of fighting prowess (without being mind-controlled), confidence, and during his dealings with Deathbird, diplomacy

That part made me laugh so hard. The last 10 years we have only seen his be close to his original self was during the axis event when he fought Polaris and when he was under the influence of the Shadow King. Even in his recent solo series he fighting skills were above average.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »

That part made me laugh so hard. The last 10 years we have only seen his be close to his original self was during the axis event when he fought Polaris and when he was under the influence of the Shadow King. Even in his recent solo series he fighting skills were above average.

I agree. It was Gambit that other writers should read to understand how to write his skills. I hope to see more badass Gambit by KT.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:16:58 AM by purplevit »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 10:32:14 AM »
Thats all he has ever beat up for years, its a valid criticism and certain one that we've heard before no matter who is writing him.
True, but this time, it was a lot of no names and not just one or two like usual. And he did 'take out' Deathbird (whose a little higher up the villian food. Jain) though not in a direct fight, so some strategy as well.