Author Topic: Gambit's Arc in X-Factor- What would you have done differently?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Gambit's Arc in X-Factor- What would you have done differently?
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
For all the short comings and disappoinments we got in PADs All New X-Factor, if nothing else, it had loads of potential. Not to mention an interesting cast of barely utilized characters, including Gambit. Why's that important? Well, if no one else at the time is using them it gives that writer the ability to basically do as they please in terms of development and plot. This ultimately where we saw PAD drop the ball. Perhaps he had some big plans down the line, but it was obvious that once he got wind that either the book was ending or some of his toys would end elsewhere, he started to rapidly close shop. The budding oddly Egyptian themed plot hit a wall, the Gambit/Polaris ship ended with a slap and the very concept of the book went down the drain.

My question to you is- What would have done done differently given the cast, time and freedom? What stories would you have liked to see come out of it? What disappointed you most and how would have directed the book differently? Gambit was the books POV character. What do you wish PAD had taken his story?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:17:16 AM by Nekobaghira »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit's Arc in X-Factor- What would you have done differently?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
Personally, I loved remydats theory that PAD was or should have been building up to something involving Apocalypse. There was so much Egyptian culture and hints of mythology sprinkled throughout the title I could easily see the same thing happening. Not to mention the presence of 3 of 4 horsemen at one time.

But in terms of Gambit, I have two regrets. The first being how his role with the Guild was handled. Being the Gambit fan I am, I would have preferred if Gambit, at least in the beginning, was intentionally playing dumb. That his original intent was to commit corporate espionage and sell off Serval's secrets to highest bidder. Perhaps he gets a change of heart, but the key is, he's not just stumbling through the plot. The 2nd regret was how PAD handled he and Polaris. I thought theyd build a dynamic of Gambit acting as her second in command but often challenges her authority as hed be concerned about her mental state. I'd hope it'd bring them closer through conflict and build into a real relationship. There were so many angles to play with there. Her know attraction to him, Gambit possible playful shot at a measure of revenge on Magneto. I could have easily seen her being more interested in letting Gambit be the king of thieves.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:02:28 AM »
Damn, I wote huge post and it dissapeared because I wasn`t logged in((

Will reply here later.

III-IV

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
I'll never understand this Gambit and Polaris thing, why would you would want Gambit to be portaged as a vindictive ass where he just uses her in order to get back at Magneto??? Gambit is a better character than that, he shouldn't be reduced to such crap.  It seems more like the Gambit fan base is going down the drain.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Don said 'playful'You said 'vindictive ass'
Kind of two different wave lengths on that one

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »
I'll never understand this Gambit and Polaris thing, why would you would want Gambit to be portaged as a vindictive ass where he just uses her in order to get back at Magneto??? Gambit is a better character than that, he shouldn't be reduced to such crap.  It seems more like the Gambit fan base is going down the drain.

First of all... if he had been paired with her, which was fairly likely seeing the direction the book was going in and knowing the two characters. Gambit wouldn't have done it as revenge. It would just be something that's there, probably used as a tongue and cheek thing, more than anything else. Probably a meta-joke, like Gambit beating up Captain America in R&G. He already kissed her in the book. That happened. And guess what... she's still Magneto's daughter. She's also had a Gambit stripper at her bachelorette party. And she is still Magneto's daughter. Speculating if anything would happen between them isnt wishing Gambit to be petty. It was a real possibility at the time. Two, your new here. Welcome. Probably not the best move to antagonize people on your second post. We're pretty friendly with each other here. Don't agree, that's fine. Cheers.

I retract my 'welcome'. You've been here since June. Welcome back...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:23:00 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
Is that Jason Esta posting in a Gambit thread, lol.

The Apocalypse angle would have been great for me.  Something that made Polaris and Gambit relive being horseman and being drawn closer to each other as a result of that mutual trauma.  It would have been great to get an explanation for Poccy's reference to Gambit's unique heritage during BoA.

As for the Guild, I would have liked for Gambit to have been shown as a more active leader of the TG.  He accepted the title at the end of Asmus for a reason and I thought PAD was a bit lazy with how he dealt with it.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:42 AM »

The Apocalypse angle would have been great for me.  Something that made Polaris and Gambit relive being horseman and being drawn closer to each other as a result of that mutual trauma.  It would have been great to get an explanation for Poccy's reference to Gambit's unique heritage during BoA.

As for the Guild, I would have liked for Gambit to have been shown as a more active leader of the TG.  He accepted the title at the end of Asmus for a reason and I thought PAD was a bit lazy with how he dealt with it.

Lol about Jason.

I doubt that Gambit's unique heritage will be used again.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »

Lol about Jason.

I doubt that Gambit's unique heritage will be used again.

Yeah I doubt something like that is going to get tackled in MMX, but if the book soars and lasts I suppose anything is possible. I'd be pretty natural for topic of parents to come up between spouses. Just take that amplify it with comic drama.

Yeah I really, really disliked how PAD disregarded Gambit's link to the Guild with both Wolverine and the Thieves Island Arc. Made Gambit look like a misfit or buffoon.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:12:45 PM »
I liked some of things already stated in the thread. I'll pick another element to expand the discussion.

Ideas liked so far: Apocalypse angle would have good to touch, especially with 2 of the four horse on the team and leading.

Gambit/Polaris pairing. I would have wanted that developed. Whether it lasts or not isn't the issue. It's coming together with some commonalities and attraction that do exist. For the record, this view has NOTHING to do with Magneto, revenge or Rogue. In fact I could care less about those things. It has always been about exploring a relationship that isn't the same old stuff. There is nothing to read between lines for because there is nothing between them.  ;)

The Thieves Guild being dropped like it was the plague was bothersome. And I also liked the idea of corp espionage by Gambit.

Now, let me see. I think with the build up of suspicion of Quicksilver - more could have been done there to the point of being caught talking to Havok. A confrontation and maybe an ultimatum to talk to Polaris that sort of thing. In the end, I would want some sort of truce and working on trust between Gambit and Quicksilver.

Would have never used the Georgia storyline. Not when you have Polaris, Gambit and Quicksilver with all of their history. It was a waste and short changed fans of a better story with the main three.

The other ideas in this thread could have easily been a storyline instead of Georgia's.
I think the biggest disappointment is how PAD handled things.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
I was really disappointed with the nature of the book we didn't get an appearance by Pete Wisdom. Would have been fitting if that had really gone the espionage part. I wouldn't be opposed to Gambits hand getting caught in the cookie jar. Then the team being forced to defend him, purely on the laurels of him being part of the team. Could have been a great character building moment and a much better way to expose his connection to the Guild.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
I'd have had Gambit kill Fantomex.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Lol, the perfect ending!

X-Factor did end up being a weird book. I guessing there were some behind the scenes hijinx of some variety. I'm that Remember cutting out one of PAD's key points of the series (when he made quicksilver and Polaris not siblings any more) did not help.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 10:42:01 PM »
I'd have had Gambit kill Fantomex.

I support this message.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
Lol, the perfect ending!

X-Factor did end up being a weird book. I guessing there were some behind the scenes hijinx of some variety. I'm that Remember cutting out one of PAD's key points of the series (when he made quicksilver and Polaris not siblings any more) did not help.

Yeah, Polaris' family connections ended up being a quarter of the plot. To have it just ripped away... It sings to how cohesive planning was across the editorial teams. I think was dealing with a lot of interference, something he wasnt accustomed to with typically having his own corner to play with.