Author Topic: MMX #4 Thread  (Read 9240 times)

Offline belay

• Guild Member
Re: MMX #4 Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 01:07:55 AM »
Finally got the time to read this issue and I really liked it. The story moved at a nice pace and gave some good development to Rogue, Gambit and Xandra. The escape scene was beautifully drawn and overall the art was really solid. I like when my characters are taken to vulnerable scenarios which keeps them as well as the story interesting. Overall a really good issue.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 02:43:55 AM »
Finally got the time to read this issue and I really liked it. The story moved at a nice pace and gave some good development to Rogue, Gambit and Xandra. The escape scene was beautifully drawn and overall the art was really solid. I like when my characters are taken to vulnerable scenarios which keeps them as well as the story interesting. Overall a really good issue.

Glad that you liked ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
That boy Zach from Diversity and Comics liked it even more than we did lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cm_Mp-bUU8&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:55:10 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
That boy Zach from Diversity and Comics liked it even more than we did lol

https://youtu.be/2cm_Mp-bUU8

People may like or not MMX but R&G and MMX got the morst good reviews and positive feedback then any other book (solo or team book) with Gambit that I remember for last 10 years.

Offline belay

• Guild Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »

People may like or not MMX but R&G and MMX got the morst good reviews and positive feedback then any other book (solo or team book) with Gambit that I remember for last 10 years.

That is true. I mostly hear Professor Bill from Comic Book University youtube channel but I did check out some podcast who also have really liked this book.  The only disappointing things are the sales numbers. Hope we get a solid run before this book ends.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »

That is true. I mostly hear Professor Bill from Comic Book University youtube channel but I did check out some podcast who also have really liked this book.  The only disappointing things are the sales numbers. Hope we get a solid run before this book ends.

If KT's Hawkeye survived 16 issues then MMX can survive as long too. Book can live as long as editors want it to live.

But so far editors never were friendly to Gambit's books.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »

If KT's Hawkeye survived 16 issues then MMX can survive as long too. Book can live as long as editors want it to live.

But so far editors never were friendly to Gambit's books.

Yeah, Fabien's run went for 24 issues and two annuals. Layman's went for 12, and Asmus' went for 17 (should have gone longer).
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
Good reviews don't always sell books. We've seen many projects fail despite praise. I'm not talking just Gambit.

As for sales, poorly solicited, LCS were told nothing about this book, it was purposely kept under wraps. IMO.
Under orders for #2 which was ordered or needed to be in with #1, is an indicator that LCS wasn't sure what the deal was with this book. That drop is far larger than it should have been. Or has been typically of any other book. Basing this in general.

Yes, some writers will say, their books are doing better than what the numbers dictate and I'm certain that is true to an extent.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry yet about this books future. People are hopefully finding it and the good reviews should or could help. Sales for the next two books will see where it settles in. I hope for the best for you folks. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:56:58 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
Honestly, I actually expected MMX to do a lot worse with sales. 71,000 debut compared to R&G's 38,000 debut. I suppose there was a lot more promotion with the wedding shock and it being a "secret book" at the time maybe helped too (and variants including Skottie Young and J Scott Campbell). But initially I thought #1 would be just under 50K at best. The drops are expected, 'Domino' and 'Jean Grey' had 70K to 20K drops as well, so yeah, it's done no better or worse than those satellite books.

I'd be happy if the series reaches 12 issues, which I think it will because the next arc should be about 5 issues (TPB length) which would make it 11 all up, and I think they'll sneak in another. On a personal note I will get what I was initially hoping for. None of us are naive enough to think this series would go beyond 25 issues, and even so, writers would probably move onto other projects by that stage.

KT did confirm seeding a Rogue storyline about controlling her powers, that could be another arc right there, and for Rogue's development, that's a big deal. So you never know...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
KT confirmed that arc 2 will be 3 or 4 issues.
So 9-10 issues confirmed plus I think we will have at least third arc too.

I think we will have around 15 issues.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
I'm hoping for a third arc since it should be more Gambit focused. It'll be frustrating, to say the least, if the book gets cancelled before we see more of the Guild or whatever KT has planned, especially after the attention Rogue is getting because of her powers.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
I think as far as collected tpb goes - if MMX goes to 12 or more .... you still have the mini to add to it and the wedding issue.

If MMX goes further, there is the potential of two tpb based on the material central to the pair. A volume 1 and 2. It  could happen.

Just a thought.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »
I'm hoping for a third arc since it should be more Gambit focused. It'll be frustrating, to say the least, if the book gets cancelled before we see more of the Guild or whatever KT has planned, especially after the attention Rogue is getting because of her powers.

I don`t expect to see Guilds after issue 6 again but definetely would love too!

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
That's sad because if they should be a regular part of any book, it should be this. I'm not saying every Arc or every other Arc, but once in a while. I think it's a good chance to see the duality in Gambit get questioned. Typically when he's dealing with this, it's him alone or he's partnered with an equally dubious friend. Rogue is different I'd like to see one of two things happen;

1. Under Rogue's influence Gambit starts to inact change in the guild to be less shady. it's never be completely above board, but it can cease certain operations.

Or

2. Gambit pushes forward, still trying to mold the guild to his liking but instead of being influenced by Rogue, she is a bit changed by it. She moves accept the morally grey area the guild operates in. Neither Gambit nor Rogue go darkside but we get to see them walk the line and see her support Gambit... Kind of how like Syd supported David in Legion before completely betrayed him in the desert. I loved the line "He's my man..." Ladies, we love it when you guys say things like that.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
Holy sh*t Don, I am behind on Legion and you just dropped a major spoiler.   :angry soapbox:
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"