Author Topic: Jonathan Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X  (Read 112057 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Jonathan Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X
« on: March 24, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Jonathan Hickman’s Marvel Comics are House of X and Powers of X – the X-Men’s Next Major Milestone

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/23/mark-brooks-jonathan-hickman-house-of-x-powers-of-x/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/23/jonathan-hickman-house-of-x-and-powers-of-x-marvel-comic-x-men-next-major-milestone/

But yesterday, Bleeding Cool revealed that Jonathan Hickman would be writing two distinct 6-issue mini-series, to begin publication in July 2019.And they are both to be regarded as “the next major milestone in X-Men history” apparently, and specifically compared to Len Wein and Dave Cockrum‘s Giant-Size X-Men #1, the 1991 Chris Claremont/Jim Lee X-Men #1, Scott Lobdell, Mark Waidand Robert Cruz‘s Age of Apocalypse and Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely‘s New X-Men.We are to look for “radical radical plans for all of you – the only Marvel book he read growing up was X-Men. Previous books were fantastic jobs. First book he’s done at Marvel that he loved before doing the book. ”Larraz says he would love to talk about what he is working on, very excited about his work and Hickman’s story, but can’t say yetLarraz grew up a huge X-Man fan and it’s the reason he wanted to be a Marvel artistLarraz and his brothers all got X-Men tattoos because of bet he made when he first joined Marvel as an artist – bet was that if he ever drew X-Men, they would all get tats…Oh and it’s X pronounced TEN….

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:58:05 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Jonathan Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:55:21 AM »
I'm sure Hickman will do a good job. Though I'm not seeing anything groundbreaking in that promo. 3 Wolverines, I'm sure Cyclops will be heavily involved too, Xavier back from the dead (again)...it's the same thing...if their comparing it to Giant-Size (1975), X-Men (1991) and NXM (2001). I guess more will be revealed in the coming months, still far too early...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:26:26 AM by Sparta »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:39:05 AM »
I’m just kind of ‘meh’ on this right now. I heard Hickman is plot heavy and really likes the smart guy leader types. So it will probably be mostly Xavier, mags and Scott. Maybe he’ll throw in wolverine as a contrast, lol.

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
Any thoughts on the Nightcrawler-like character on the left? I've read some posts claiming it is a Gambit / Nightcrawler fused character, which, to be honest, I can't wrap my ahead around. Much the same with the character on the right, with Colossus / Magik. Interesting no Gambit or Rogue in the shot. New team for them? Dead? Staying away in their solo book?

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
Y’know, I stopped reading X-Men after the marriage because of all the nostalgia that was popping up throughout the line. The original X-Force lineup, old costumes for the Uncanny cast, Rogue and Gambit being together, Laura going back to X-23, etc. The marriage was just the inciting incident.

It felt like there was no vision behind the X-books because, well, there just wasn’t. I’ve been keeping up through reviews and tumblr screencaps, and since the marriage, it just feels like a highlight reel of recognizable X-Men tropes (this is especially egregious in MMX, which straight up looks like Marvel decided to publish someone’s Romy fanfic sometimes and is well below what I expect from KT after Hawkeye). Red was cool, because it felt like a Tom Taylor book, but it suffered because editorial rushed it to it’s death. Age of X-Man looks interesting, because it tackles wildly different themes from AoA and the best of those minis seem to have a strong creative vision behind it.

Hickman is exactly what the doctor ordered. A Morrison-level shakeup, respectful of the past yet looking forward to the future. But if Marvel wants my money (for X-Men stuff, I still read other Marvel comics) Rogue and Gambit gotta break up. I don’t care if Hickman never touches Gambit, if they break up I’ll be happy.

NOTE: Hickman’s Twitter DMs are open and I am very tempted to message him about the divorce.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
Gambit and Rogue are kinda confirmed for a team book together. So no divorse is planned, I guess.

I think that Hickman won`t even write them. Won`t be surprised if Gambit and Rogue will be sent to a space or other world so they would be far away from HiX-Man.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:34:44 AM by purplevit »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
But if they were to break up and gambit gets shoved into limbo again, that would also be pointless ‘nostalgia’  ???

Though on a more serious note, it always interesting that people talk about Morrison when longing for new ideas, when Morrison said something like ‘there’s only four X-men stories, sentinels, magneto, weapon x and Phoenix. Which were all his main story arcs, but because they liked the way he executed the older ideas, he always get praised for being ‘new.’

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »
So... Have to say House of X #1 is the finest piece of comic literature I've read in years. The attention to detail in just setting the ground work for the actual story has blown me away. Hickman is a world building master storyteller. High recommendation from me.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

So... Have to say House of X #1 is the finest piece of comic literature I've read in years. The attention to detail in just setting the ground work for the actual story has blown me away. Hickman is a world building master storyteller. High recommendation from me.

Yes. Best comics in years. So many details. Loved everything about it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:09:02 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

Variant for HOX 3 by Asrar

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »
So don’t now how many people are following this still. It is interesting, but somewhat ‘dry’. This last issue had sinister for any sinister fans, but it was Gillian’s sassy, British dandy version of sinister. So if you don’t like that version, don’t bother, if you do like that version, you might like this issue.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »
I am reading it and really love it.
Sad that Gambit is not there but maybe it is for the best.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »
Given that Hickman is a huge magneto fan, that could be true. And given that the only issue with several actual X-men in it, had them all die, also points to that could be true... ;)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:24:59 AM »
I'm still reading it and still don't understand all the love this is getting. I stand by my opinion of the first couple of issues, it's good but definitely not mind blowing amazing. I simply hated that Sinister issue.