Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95794 times)

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »
lol, I think it's a really good thing that Gambit's in 2 books, if one stinks, then there's another avenue.
Will he play a significant role in this new book? Maybe not...but if he's written respectfully, that's all I ask for at this point.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
Dollars to donughts, he'll get punched by his younger, female, token replacement. She'll do something awesome he couldn't.

I mean, for f***s sake...even if she has the ability to kinetically charge like Remy, she knows how to throw playing cards too? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
Punked. Not punched.

Well, he might get punched.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
Hmm... I'm still hoping Gambit and company aren't in this book at all and that all this is a story of what occurred during Moira's 9th life. Otherwise, this isn't going to make much sense without a bunch of reaching and suspension of disbelief.

My hope/theory:

All "sidekicks" are in fact various chimera created from the DNA templates of the X-Men we know.

Why:

The first gen Chimera possessed only one power and were considered "fodder" due to not being able to last very long in battle against the powerful man/machine forces. Vita (writer) described her creations as people that "grew up with posters of Storm/ Wolverine". That's basically impossible, assuming that's exactly what she meant.

I've seen a few horrible ideas online, not horrible as in 'bad idea' but not something I could imagine that anyone would want to read. Ive seen people pitch that they are using "super suits" or that they are cosplayers. While the 'super suit' idea stinks, but isn't too ridiculous - who in the world would want to read a book about some cosplayers? There does exist a cult of mutant worshipers and they could easily be members of them, but again... a book about that? I'd much rather this be about the Chimera, the lives they led, the propaganda they were fed and how it all led to the fall of Mars, and the exodus to Shi'ar space station Benevolence and conscription into the empire's armed forces.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
Hmm... I'm still hoping Gambit and company aren't in this book at all and that all this is a story of what occurred during Moira's 9th life. Otherwise, this isn't going to make much sense without a bunch of reaching and suspension of disbelief.

My hope/theory:

All "sidekicks" are in fact various chimera created from the DNA templates of the X-Men we know.

Why:

The first gen Chimera possessed only one power and were considered "fodder" due to not being able to last very long in battle against the powerful man/machine forces. Vita (writer) described her creations as people that "grew up with posters of Storm/ Wolverine". That's basically impossible, assuming that's exactly what she meant.

I've seen a few horrible ideas online, not horrible as in 'bad idea' but not something I could imagine that anyone would want to read. Ive seen people pitch that they are using "super suits" or that they are cosplayers. While the 'super suit' idea stinks, but isn't too ridiculous - who in the world would want to read a book about some cosplayers? There does exist a cult of mutant worshipers and they could easily be members of them, but again... a book about that? I'd much rather this be about the Chimera, the lives they led, the propaganda they were fed and how it all led to the fall of Mars, and the exodus to Shi'ar space station Benevolence and conscription into the empire's armed forces.

It's a rather risky endevaour this book. With the few details we have so far It's hard for me to figure out how I feel.

I don't beleive that this new character cna in any way overshadow or replace Remy. For however few issues there are. So in that aspect I think it will just bolster his status inside of the X-men franchise. Hopefully lead to some good appereances in the actual comic too.

On ideas for it I find it hard to imagine children growing up with X-men posters considering how hated they where, or how unknown to the general populace. Very rebel counter culture kids if so. Also the sliding timeline that I'm no longer trying to understand.

On idea's some of teh designs tell of technology agumented characters. The Nightcrawelr for one. With the Gambit-Girl having tampered eyes. So perhaps some mix of technology and gene splicing? Even so are teh X-men themselves doing this? Supporting some sort of program where you get to become your favorite X-men? Saving them from some nefarious scientist? A spy program to sabotage teh X-men?

It's tricky also with the previous generations of younger mutants. Do we need new characters? More books? How many books will the line support?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2020, 11:34:37 PM »
As many as people will buy. You remember what Marvel did after the Avengers movie, right? Same thing. They're flooding the market. And my "previous generations" idea is strictly tethered to them exploring Moira's 9th life from Powers of X. It'd essentially be an elseworlds kind of story and have zero bearing on any character or storyline currently running due to that universe being erased when Moira was reborn and relived her life.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
 https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1224179003151482882

If you could pick one X-Men character to write a solo series for, who would it be?

Donny Cates: Gambit

We need to support it and save Remy from Excalibur or Hikman trolling.All in everyone who have twitter. We need to show Marvel and Cates that there are fans and demand for such book.Don, maybe you can make an article about this in some way?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:47:19 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
Cates wrote Venom, right?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:00 AM »
I also don't think it happened just by chance. Cates may genuinely want to write the book and with it being open season on X-Men, he may see this as a way of creating interest. Who knows.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:31 AM »

Yes, he is still writing it. Successful ongoing. Arindam loved that book.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2020, 02:22:40 AM »
I also don't think it happened just by chance. Cates may genuinely want to write the book and with it being open season on X-Men, he may see this as a way of creating interest. Who knows.

Would love it to be true but won`t hope too much. We know that Bunn pitched Gambit solo not once but Marvel wasn`t interested in it. But Cates is big right now at Marvel. Also I never read Guardians of Galaxy but I really loved Cates` GOG. First arc is crazy good.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:24:23 AM by purplevit »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
Anyone else notice a sudden up-tick in Gambit related media on Twitter between yesterday and today?

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »

And Silver Surfer Black, which I thought was the best depiction of SS in a long time. He's currently relaunching Thor and the first two issues have been fantastic. He's IMHO not only one of Marvels best current writers, probably the best,  but one of the best in comics right now period. Not only tells good stories, but does a great job of handeling the characters, really getting who they are.

I would LOVE to read a Donny Cates Gambit book.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »
Anyone else notice a sudden up-tick in Gambit related media on Twitter between yesterday and today?
More than usual. Dawn of X vol 3 might be something. Gambit is on the cover anyway. Guess we'll find out then how much Hickman likes Gambit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:24:52 PM by Nekobaghira »