Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95844 times)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2020, 09:46:45 PM »
Another Gambit Pop Vinyl (Bo Staff) will be available at Emerald City Comic-Con...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/11/funko-emerald-city-comic-con-reveals-marvel-edition/

Along with Toad and Dr Doom.
So three Gambit pops are now available after waiting all these years. There's also Zatanna which I'll be pre-ordering...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
From the romy thread at the other place. Excaliber #7

Gambit is still angry. Rogue lost some IQ, nor does she support her husband. As in he expresses frustration and distrust of Poccy, and Rogue doesn't care, not empathic at all.

Why are they married? Seriously, this is a farce and is not a good representation of marriage in general.

Gambit's powers were ineffectual.

Gambit the only one not drinking the kool-aid that is Apocalypse. The rest of cast making fun of him and he had to be saved by Betsy. What happened to his powers? We don't know.

7 issues in and mutant magic still not explained.

Edit: from the review thread, its believed that Gambit is behaving the way he is as possible pay off later of "I told you so" type thing, that showcasing his convictions may lead to that. Still, Rogue is not supportive of him or his fears.

I have lots I could say but will hold my tongue for now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:42:26 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »

Gambit the only one not drinking the kool-aid that is Apocalypse.

This is the only thing I can salvage out of Gambit's poor characterisation in this series. As badly as he's written, I actually do agree with him.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2020, 07:58:36 AM »
From the romy thread at the other place. Excaliber #7

Gambit is still angry. Rogue lost some IQ, nor does she support her husband. As in he expresses frustration and distrust of Poccy, and Rogue doesn't care, not empathic at all.

Why are they married? Seriously, this is a farce and is not a good representation of marriage in general.

Gambit's powers were ineffectual.

Gambit the only one not drinking the kool-aid that is Apocalypse. The rest of cast making fun of him and he had to be saved by Betsy. What happened to his powers? We don't know.

7 issues in and mutant magic still not explained.

Edit: from the review thread, its believed that Gambit is behaving the way he is as possible pay off later of "I told you so" type thing, that showcasing his convictions may lead to that. Still, Rogue is not supportive of him or his fears.

I have lots I could say but will hold my tongue for now.

To get an "I told you so" at some point we have to read him being a whiny b***h? No. I'll continue to pass.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »
Whatever sort of payoff on that Apocalypse plotline with Gambit won't be enough. It has gone on for too long and especially too deep. It feels like Tini knows the end goal and thinks that whatever abuse Gambit suffers now will be worth it later on. It's just so bad. Not only does it require Gambit to behave like an idiot with the warwolf scene it also requires the rest of the team to bully him, kindergarten style. Betsy is the worst X-men leader I have seen. It's a real hatchetjob on her when she's with her team.

Best case scenario: Gambit quits the team. Tells Betsy some harsh truths and then the rest of the team can fend for themselves. Rogue will then skip into support role for Betsy, where Tini wants her. She can be her BFF and tell her how strong she is.

I can't even remember that much interaction between Rogue and Betsy. Even when they have been on so many teams through the years.

This issue is the first that even the reviewrs are questioning. It's down from 9's to one or two 6's. My takeaway: comicreviewrs are a joke. It's mollycodling all teh way. If I was a writer or artist I would just skip reading them. If I worked for Marvels PR department I would read them.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »
Whatever sort of payoff on that Apocalypse plotline with Gambit won't be enough. It has gone on for too long and especially too deep. It feels like Tini knows the end goal and thinks that whatever abuse Gambit suffers now will be worth it later on. It's just so bad. Not only does it require Gambit to behave like an idiot with the warwolf scene it also requires the rest of the team to bully him, kindergarten style. Betsy is the worst X-men leader I have seen. It's a real hatchetjob on her when she's with her team.

Best case scenario: Gambit quits the team. Tells Betsy some harsh truths and then the rest of the team can fend for themselves. Rogue will then skip into support role for Betsy, where Tini wants her. She can be her BFF and tell her how strong she is.

I can't even remember that much interaction between Rogue and Betsy. Even when they have been on so many teams through the years.

This issue is the first that even the reviewrs are questioning. It's down from 9's to one or two 6's. My takeaway: comicreviewrs are a joke. It's mollycodling all teh way. If I was a writer or artist I would just skip reading them. If I worked for Marvels PR department I would read them.

If he gets that payoff, for what we know, Betsy will take the credit.
The story itself was more coherent than the previous ones, it flowed a lot better, but I wasn't too keen on the art...and the characters remain off. Betsy seems fine (though gullible), but I'm bored with the Braddock dynamic.

Gambit will be in this for the long haul I think, there's been seeds planted and he's part of Apocalypse's plans. It sounds like it's building up to a Horseman plot, Rogue and Rictor are already connected to Apocalypse and Gambit's a former Horseman and hasn't technically fully recovered from. Remember the Horseman played a role on HoX/Pox. They're not going to just have Gambit abruptly leave and abandon the plot, they are going to follow through with it.

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »

If he gets that payoff, for what we know, Betsy will take the credit.
The story itself was more coherent than the previous ones, it flowed a lot better, but I wasn't too keen on the art...and the characters remain off. Betsy seems fine (though gullible), but I'm bored with the Braddock dynamic.

Gambit will be in this for the long haul I think, there's been seeds planted and he's part of Apocalypse's plans. It sounds like it's building up to a Horseman plot, Rogue and Rictor are already connected to Apocalypse and Gambit's a former Horseman and hasn't technically fully recovered from. Remember the Horseman played a role on HoX/Pox. They're not going to just have Gambit abruptly leave and abandon the plot, they are going to follow through with it.

I Hope not we get another horseman plot. We already have the OG horsemen plot going on. It’s comical. Apocalypse can’t help himself. He sees horsemen everywhere.

At this time I’m thinking about dumping it. It’s my only monthly comic. What’s stopping me is pure naive optimistic stupidity. Sort of “at least she can’t write him worse” and then I read the war wolf scene...

Online anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2020, 10:26:47 AM »
That was so bizarre, gambit sees random civilian, goes to see what’s wrong. Civilian turns out to be a war wolf betsy jumps in. Betsy says I was trying to tell you that warwolves steal skins. Trying to tell you, not I told you before, trying to tell you. Isn’t this something she should have told the team before sending them out to hunt warwolves? And at the beginning of the book, crazyJamie is mocking betsy for going to see apocalypse to get her ‘marching orders’ and she throws a psychic knife at him, because Girl Power.  It when she actually sees apocalypse she says You’ve been up to stuff, I have to protect Otherworld. Apocalypse says I’m not doing anything. Here’s my random book about magic to prove it. ‘Oh, that does ease my mind’ And then Apocalypse gives her her marching orders. *face palm*

Really? She saw with her own eyes, him manipulating everyone in the first arc, but his random book about magic puts her mind at ease? How does that work? And gambit doesn’t get ‘grumpy’ again til he finds out the that betsy lies to him to get him to go hunt warwolves for apocalypse. Why? Why does she need to trick him into doing this? And then, don’t even tell him want warwolves can do.*double face palm*

Really

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
Hatchet job incoming...

https://youtu.be/nDL2r2tNKZ4
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
Hatchet job incoming...

Nice to see those old highlights where he actually beat A-List characters. Now he needs assistance to defeat a single Warwolf...he can't even balance his feet anymore.
Also nice to know people think Gambit can still win fights. They must not be reading comics.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2020, 06:03:05 AM »
Hatchet job incoming...

It was awesome! We need skilled Gambit back!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2020, 06:12:32 AM »
It seems that Lords of the Long Box will be relesing some MCU Gambit rumours tomorrow :gambit: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yv5u5Ct8fw

Gambit MCU Series coming! Characters being reserved for it....Long Term Spec List. We got another Black Knight Report and this time he has a list of characters Marvel wants to use for an upcoming Gambit MCU Series!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »
I hope its good news and that Gambit gets a solo. That would get me back at the shop and reading comics again. (And no Rogue.) :D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2020, 11:48:51 PM »
... get the #&#& outta here. I'll believe it when it happens. It would confirm my theory that Marvel intentionally fanned the Gambit flames on Twitter a couple weeks ago.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2020, 03:28:56 AM »
Lords of the Long Box Rumour: Gambit series is planned by Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yv5u5Ct8fw

Characters being reserved for it. Probably Disney + or even Hulu if darker. Very early in concept.
Kevin Feige really likes a character. He wants to do like a modern take on Maverick. It is going to be based in Nola.

Characters that Marvel wants to use for an upcoming Gambit MCU Series:
-   Thieves and Assassins Guilds
-   Etienne Marceaux – Probably a flashback
-   Marauders
-   Candra
-   Pig
-   Bella Donna Boudreux

Gambit Series to be kind of a modern western set in NOLA.
Tatum is definitely not playing. Probably a younger actor.
Rogue is tied up to Captain Marvel. Probably won`t appear.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:05:12 AM by purplevit »