Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 98249 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2020, 12:18:20 AM »

This is going to sound weird, but I kind of checked out on comic book Gambit sometime after Asmus's solo series got canceled. Whenever I want to read new stories about Gambit, I just read fan fiction.

I can understand that, I've lost so much interest in Gambit. Asmus was great and some PAD stuff was good until he became bitter.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2020, 12:52:53 AM »
Even though I can read Excalibur for free... I simply don't bother.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
Even though I can read Excalibur for free... I simply don't bother.
I'm literally trying to talk myself into reading for free from that link you provided and simply to see this cuter than baby yoda warwolf baby, I can't seem to find the energy.

In fact if TH could write a fraction as well as Jon Favreau and company for the Mandalorian, maybe Excaliber wouldn't be the mess it is. IMO

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »
Here it is:

Got this online, couldn't spend more money on this book, it's just so incredibly terrible. I've tried to, at least, read the pages Gambit was on but couldn't even do that.

TH is delusional to think this can be compared to Baby Yoda. Well, she must think she's doing a terrific job with Excalibur as well.   

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2020, 08:19:01 PM »
That's not... that doesn't resemble a wolf at all. That's a dinosaur... should have been called warsaurus >.>Guess the adults could look wolfish
Oh man, a single page has me sighing aloud

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
I'm perplexed. While I don't think the baby war-wolf is horrible looking and its cute in general. It was nothing to get all excited about. Certainly no where near baby yoda. It is cute though, just not up to the hype cute.

The difference between war-wolf baby and baby yoda is story.

Well, this will be unpopular as opinions go - Disney now needs to control Marvel better. Since the house of mouse can create better content, maybe some tutelage would help. LOL
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:29:39 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Buying Excalibur means supporting bad written Gambit. I am not doing it.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Those websites where you can read almost any comic for free has saved me a ton of time and money.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
Those websites where you can read almost any comic for free has saved me a ton of time and money.

Yes the same for me. It's a testament to the lack of quality that I'm not reading any marvel. I'm also getting bored with constantly being disapointed with Gambit. I'm not demanding much. In general Gambit is suppose to be three things: Charming, Agile and Dangerous. Grossly simplified.
Tini has skipped charming entirely. She's not even trying. On agility he's more clumsy then agile. On dangerous he's mostly doing fancy light shows or getting beaten by Apocalypse. Instead his arc seems to be about the team treating him like a whiny moron while he responds like a kid. It's insane.

First I wanted to argue with the fans. Then the writer. Then reviewers. For any of them to not state how blatantly wrong this is frustrates me. It has made me lose hope in marvel.
I get that people have favorite characters. Some even hate certain ones. To not aknowledge how bad this is just angers me. This should be in lectures on how to not write a character. It's that bad.

Instead I'm focusing my energy on writing fanfiction. In there gambit can be the things he should be. He doesn't even have to star in teambook. I actually think it quite suits him not to be the star. Then he can work in the background. Pushing and prodding the odds into his favor. Then do something risky. SOmetimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For me Gambit doesn't have to come out top. It's more fun if there is a sense of uncertainty that he will pull it off. Like real life gambling.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
That's not... that doesn't resemble a wolf at all. That's a dinosaur... should have been called warsaurus >.>Guess the adults could look wolfish
Oh man, a single page has me sighing aloud
Nah, the adults don’t look like wolves either, they look like silver dinosaur.

Baby yoda be baby war wolf, yeah not even close, story is a factor. One is a cute, baby version of a beloved character the other is a cute, baby version of obscure, unlike able comic villains. No one cared about them before and the current story doesn’t give anyone much to care about them here, except for another unlikeable comic villain (who is supposed to now be a wise wizard type for reasons) has declared them to be wiped out. We are supposed to be happy that betsy saved the cute baby one, but not upset that she happily wiped out the rest of them. The cognitive whiplash is considerably here...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »
Agreed. Hard to feel investment for a character that was thrown out there for no real reason.

Agree, the war wolves don't look like wolves either. The design isn't bad but I think the story didn't do any justice. Fans won't remember the baby war wolf when all of the characters are being written so poorly.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »

My main problem was killing the Warwolves for kicks. It was out of character.

Another issue of Excaliber out and its not liked very much at the other place.

Not sure why this title hasn't been cancelled yet. Is it sheeple (people and sheep) buying this book blindly and not reading it? No clue.
I'm glad I never supported to begin with.

While I agree, I have two reasons why I think it won't get cancelled anytime soon...

1. Apocalypse is a big player in DoX, Hickman has something planned for him and Tini will need to follow through with her story to get Apocalypse to the place Hickman eventually wants him to be. This might take quite a few arcs for him to get there. Excalibur has a lot of scope as well, when reading the first issue I already felt that this will go on for a while. There's also the Horseman theory, that's probably where Gambit, Rogue, Rictor and Jubilee/Dragon-Shogo will end up.

2. The sales are quite good. The latest figures has it between the 45-50K mark, higher than Marauders (which is expected to be under).

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »
Which is strange. Outside of the first cringey issue - Marauders is a leaps and bounds better than Excalibur.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »
Just my fanart. Always wanted to see Remy with Darth Maul`s double lightsaber.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:41:27 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »
Looks great Purplevit!