Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95910 times)

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
Like... like Chris Claremont? Dude, the X-men are the most inherently and overtly political superhero comics.

That's what I said! It's so silly to complain about SJW and identity politics in X-men. They are literally one big metaphor for the Civil Rights Movement.

People can’t seriously compare a character/plot-driven writer like Claremont to brats who yell at the people who consume comics to try to win arguments on twitter. Plot and character should come before political correctness. Or let’s just pretend that a character like Snowflake is as relevant and significant as a character like Storm.

To be blunt there is a huge difference between a firefighter and some angry (o) pissing on something while it burns.

A modern 'SJW' writer would make Gambit gay and/or transgendered in a heartbeat. They would do it with little to no thought, regard or care for who Gambit actually is or has been for decades. They would justify and defend it as 'progress'. They would label, demonize and attack any who didn't like it, agree with it or even believe it as 'bigots', and they would do it echoed and abetted by rabid 'SJW ' fans who care about little no nothing else than the illusion of social justice and advocacy.

That isn't Chris Claremont on his worst day. It also isn't social justice or any other kind of justice. It's injustice done in the name of fighting it, wrong done in the name of right. And people repeatedly saying that Stan Lee or Chris Claremont were the 'SJW's of their day' as some sort of counter-argument against what fans are stuck dealing with today is nothing but a straw man argument.

Meanings change over time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:31:23 PM by Icefanatic »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
 I do believe meanings have changed over time. The metaphor the Xmen were built on, no longer exists in 2020 and probably hasn't existed for 15 or more years. The Xmen are watered down in their story plight to enlighten.

The Xmen have become stories about space, or increased population or fighting whatever bad-group of the month, they don't fight for equality or any other social injustice. It's not written anymore. The books  I have bought had nothing to do with social injustice nor did they foster justice and I haven't bought one in some time. IMO.

Yes, you can say 1960's – somewhere to the 1990's to early 2000's, that metaphor held, I don't think it does anymore and hasn't for sometime. I can't broad stroke (painting metaphor) for what they should represent when the Xmen haven't represented in some time. IMO. I think the Xmen metaphor lost its poignancy and relevance based on writing in the early or mid 2000's. The writers stopped using the metaphor. I'm not saying its not important, I'm saying the creative people at Marvel changed and with it, so did the Xmen.

I have no problem with diversity or social justice – show it, enlighten people. The media is the best to showcase that and media can do it best but the method with social applications (twitter/facebook/tumblr/etc) was always my issue and I've stated that before. There should be no bullying, online or in person to win the SJW stance, more damage can be done when negligent. I've seen it. That is not an experience to be taken away for philosophy. It's an understanding that to SJW, find the better method. IMO.

Please accept that we understand or experienced some things differently and others have not and that no topic is black and white. There are shades of gray everywhere.

Play nice and I mean that fondly. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:48:39 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2020, 07:26:40 PM »
Something I've always found appealing about the X-Men was exactly the diverse cast of characters from different countries, cultures and backgrounds, and the strong female characters. That’s something I loved as a kid and still do. However, I do have a problem with how inclusion and diversity are handled nowadays, in comics and other mediums, by incompetent so-called writers, adults who act like spoiled brats and attack anyone who dare disagree with their hypocritical political view. The problem isn’t diversity (that’s the whole core of the X-Men), it’s HOW it’s done for the past years.

However, some people's identities have been shoved down everyone else's throats as the default when it is not.

This is exactly what’s happing now. A vocal minority of supposed progressives imposing their agendas on everyone else. It seems every character created as of late has to be diverse somehow. That's not even realistic. It really isn't diversity when almost no one can relate.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:28:24 PM by andresa »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #318 on: April 22, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »

So, here's the thing. For me, this is not about artistic merits as that is a huge rabbit hole that I have no desire to travel through. There is an entire generation that started reading before Claremont who think his stuff is absolute crap. There are people who would kill you for thinking that Grant Morrison's fart noises aren't genius. And on and on and on. Someday (if not even now), there will be people who love the current style of storytelling and its thematic elements. That is their choice and I take no issue with anyone's take on these things.

Granted. Comics are subjective. However, there is a general consensus. I doubt that the general consensus will ever view this generation of comics favorably. As evident by the fact that this generation's approach has killed the industry.

What I find ridiculous is the idea of complaining about there being too much diversity in a comics franchise that is unabashedly based on the Civil Rights Movement.

No one here has done that.
Are there annoying people on the internet? Yes, there are. Of MANY different political viewpoints.
Some more than others.

Is that ALL there currently is to people and groups who fight for social justice? Absolutely not. There is lobbying, there are protests, there are calls to action.

yeah...doxing, threats, bans on Twitter....

People's rights are still being threatened.

True...the way this Covid-19 threat has allowed draconian Governors and politicians, political activists posing as journalists, big tech, and agenda pushing actors to roll back basic and constitutionally protected human rights IS frightening.

But, I'm sure you meant something else... in which I'd ask you to list them, so I could refute them, but, why?

And terms like SJW are regularly flung at people in order to shame and discourage them from caring about the human rights of others.

And yet, the term is used by self proclaimed and adamantly proud Social Justice "warriors" (I can't help but laugh at that, btw). Just as feminist has become an insult to some, or used as a disparaging term by others, perhaps the SJW community should self reflect as to how their boorish behavior has made using the term as a rib possible.

I find the term offensive.

Well...sorry.

I also find that it is often used by those privileged enough to ignore minorities and their problems.

Your bias is noted.

It is also exceptionally privileged to decry identity politics, since a person's race/sex/class/sexual orientation/etc. affects virtually everything about their world and the way they experience it.

I think it's exceptionally privileged to push this/your narrative on the world, and expect it to be accepted as fact.

We ALL "play identity politics".

Tribalism is a zero sum game. We don't "all" do it...but for arguments sake, I'll concur, but then reiterate an earlier point...some do it far more than others.

However, some people's identities have been shoved down everyone else's throats as the default when it is not.

Exactly. You just described modern Marvel's approach to writing....and why the industry is dead.

If you have a problem with writing and character, say that. I do too.

I did.

But blaming diversity and inclusion in a comic like X-men is just ridiculous given its history.

I didn't.

P.S. Chris Claremont would ABSOLUTELY have been considered a progressive/"SJW" in his time.
I read Claremont in his time. So, I can absolutely speak to that fact that his writing was progressive, for the time. But, it was natural, fluid, it came from a place of well-intended optimism. That is not what the vast majority of Marvel's "progressive" garbage is, today. I already spoke about it at length earlier in this thread, I believe (and specifically about Iceman). If you cannot differentiate, I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that. I could list examples, but, ultimately, subjective interpretation would be argued, and it would become circular and pointless.

Admin edit for weird formatting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:45:55 PM by Nekobaghira »
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
Apologies for the formatting.  :o  I may try and fix...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »
LOL - that is some fixing. I'll try to help out. LMAO

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Haha sorry about that. Honestly, no need to fix, it's not really important.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »
I agree, let it ride as it were. LMAO. I don't know what it is, be it phones or different apps. It's readable, good enough.

admin - with the boredom, I might, its the size quote or lack there of, I know it or so I think.  LMAO

edit: it was the lack of first size quote that made it weird, I've fixed and if's not quite right, tell me or fix. I've got the formatting in place for editing for the post.  Let me know if you need more help or tell me to butt out. LOL
Okay - to you Toadman005, I have your original post without the formatting error. I can revert but I think I got all of your comments in place. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:49:12 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Kenta

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2020, 12:15:24 AM »
Gambit's gameplay video has been released for Marvel Super War and he will be available to play later today. 
 https://youtu. be/DjmkGoemKME
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:17:13 AM by Kenta »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2020, 02:45:03 AM »
Gambit's gameplay video has been released for Marvel Super War and he will be available to play later today. 
 https://youtu. be/DjmkGoemKME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvHxWTbBfo

Visually future fight Gambit has a better skills.
I hope his skills are strong for this game so he won`t be low tier.

Offline Kenta

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2020, 04:07:25 AM »
Yeah his future fight skills set are good but he is like a glass canon where he can't take much hit.  It also disappointed me that he didn't get any new skin since his debut.  In Superwar he is a marksman type hero so his attacks reach peak once he levels up to 15.  He is also getting an alternate costume but real money will be needed to get it.  Gambit can be bought using in game coins without having to pay any money but you can also purchase him.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #326 on: April 23, 2020, 05:21:54 AM »
Yeah his future fight skills set are good but he is like a glass canon where he can't take much hit.  It also disappointed me that he didn't get any new skin since his debut.  In Superwar he is a marksman type hero so his attacks reach peak once he levels up to 15.  He is also getting an alternate costume but real money will be needed to get it.  Gambit can be bought using in game coins without having to pay any money but you can also purchase him.

Cool! Love that MMX costume. Maybe you know if this game is planned to release in other countries? It seems I can play it only with VPN in my country.

Completely agree about future fight.

Offline Kenta

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #327 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »
Yes u will need a VPN currently as the game hasn't released globally yet.  I loved that they went with MMX as alternative costume as it is a very recent book and we will get more costumes in the future.  My in game name is Saiyanbaba if u wanna add me as it friend. 

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #328 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
That is a cool alternate costume, and I don’t know enough about video games to make any other comments. ;)

About movie/ TV speculation, since we are in speculation mode, if the rumors are true (big if there) and rogue is a bad guy in captain marvel 2, that’s it out for a couple more years and a (possible) gambit tv show would also be a few years away. But if they came out at similar times, rogue would have that one ‘bad guy’ appearance, but gambit would have a year or two’s worth of tv shows. She it’s possible he joins the X-men first and that would be the possible good guy/bad girl dynamic that was mentioned. Not that he’s going to be a straight arrow’ type character. Of course, this is all still glorious speculation...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2020, 12:21:04 PM »
Yes u will need a VPN currently as the game hasn't released globally yet.  I loved that they went with MMX as alternative costume as it is a very recent book and we will get more costumes in the future.  My in game name is Saiyanbaba if u wanna add me as it friend.

Thanks. Cool! Will try to download it tomorrow and find you.