Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95898 times)

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #495 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
Yeah, they were never very alike, but singer was clearly focused on wolverine. Who’s is ironic, consider,  after the marvel movies blew up, singer was doing and interview and was asked (politely ;) ) why the X-men movies didn’t do as well as marvel’s. And singer said something like, of course marvel does better, they have iron man! It’s like really? You had wolverine, who was ten times more popular than iron and all the popular characters, like gambit, rogue, Storm, you completely squandered. *smdh*
HE SAID WHAT?! That is by far the most ridiculous thing he has ever said! And he has said some pretty ridiculous things.

There's a reason why Marvel Studios was so eager to get its hands on the X-men. Everyone loves them. Thanks to the 90's cartoon, even people who don't read comic books love them. Up until MCU, the X-men were far more popular than the Avengers. Singer had access to so many amazing an popular characters and he squandered it focusing on only one.

Can you imagine how big the X movies are going to be with their built-in fanbase on top of everything else?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #496 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
If I could find a tweet, Rosenberg responded to one of my tweets along the lines:

"If not liking Gambit disqualifies me (he tweeted something about Gambit and I said I withdraw all my praise for his uncanny X-Men run), then I can give you a long list of other writers that feel the same"

I don't remember what I said, but it was a joke. I think I struck a nerve and he responded with that. Pretty honest... Not sure if it was 100% professional or even wise to denigrate his company's product... But he said it. I'll try to track it down.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #497 on: August 04, 2020, 04:32:14 AM »
I hope Rossenberg would do that hater list so I would know whose books not to support.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #498 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:42 AM »
Yeah, they were never very alike, but singer was clearly focused on wolverine. Which is ironic, considering,  after the marvel movies blew up, singer was doing and interview and was asked (politely ;) ) why the X-men movies didn’t do as well as marvel’s. And singer said something like, of course marvel does better, they have iron man! It’s like really? You had wolverine, who was ten times more popular than iron and all the popular characters, like gambit, rogue, Storm, you completely squandered. *smdh*

I must've missed this comment...
Before Iron Man came out he was the most hated character in Marvel Comics (Civil War era). I can name you 10 X-Men characters that had a larger fan base than Stark. Then again his comment probably came out during the First Class era where he thought a franchise focusing on just Magneto, Xavier and Mystique would compete against the Avengers. Even Guardians pulled their pants down and no one knew who the hell they were.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #499 on: August 04, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
If I could find a tweet, Rosenberg responded to one of my tweets along the lines:"If not liking Gambit disqualifies me (he tweeted something about Gambit and I said I withdraw all my praise for his uncanny X-Men run), then I can give you a long list of other writers that feel the same"I don't remember what I said, but it was a joke. I think I struck a nerve and he responded with that. Pretty honest... Not sure if it was 100% professional or even wise to denigrate his company's product... But he said it. I'll try to track it down.

Coincidence or not, these unprofessional obnoxious idiots who hate everything post 80's are exactly the writers I find the the most overrated.     

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #500 on: August 04, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Ok, just cuz I’m feeling petty today I dug it up: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/bryan-singer-why-its-ludicrous-compare-x-films-marvel-studios

Apparently it was right before days of future past, andwhen fox was trying to build up an x-universe.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #501 on: August 04, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »

Coincidence or not, these unprofessional obnoxious idiots who hate everything post 80's are exactly the writers I find the the most overrated.     

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

Grant Morrison, Ed Brubaker, Mark Millar, all penned major X-titles in the 2000's, and all openly admitted their hatred of the character (Gambit). So, small wonder he was regulated to lesser titles and faded into obscurity.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:27:50 AM by DonPriceTag »
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #502 on: August 04, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
I don't remember what I said, but it was a joke. I think I struck a nerve and he responded with that. Pretty honest... Not sure if it was 100% professional or even wise to denigrate his company's product... But he said it. I'll try to track it down.

Have comic book writers ever felt the need to be 100% professional about their company's product? It's been a while since I've really delved into comic book news; I know you've got your hooks in much deeper than I do, but when I was keeping up, I remember it not being unheard of that writers thought nothing of expressing their like or dislike of certain characters and any fans of those characters would just have to clench their teeth an see how it played out in the comics.

I know it's been said many times on this forum; it's basically a fan-fic standard of writing.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #503 on: August 04, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
[size=78%][/size]Grant Morrison, [size=78%][/size][/size][size=78%][/color][/size]Ed Brubaker, Mark Millar, all penned major X-titles in the 2000's, and all openly admitted their hatred of the character (Gambit). So, small wonder he was regulated to [size=78%][/size]lesser titles and faded into obscurity.[/size][/size]

Yep, all of them. Overrated.

Have comic book writers ever felt the need to be 100% professional about their company's product? It's been a while since I've really delved into comic book news; I know you've got your hooks in much deeper than I do, but when I was keeping up, I remember it not being unheard of that writers thought nothing of expressing their like or dislike of certain characters and any fans of those characters would just have to clench their teeth an see how it played out in the comics.

I know it's been said many times on this forum; it's basically a fan-fic standard of writing.

Social media gave fans a means to express their opinions directly to the writers I guess. It's not uncommon to see writers being unfairly rude to fans like they're not entitled to have their own opinion.   

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #504 on: August 04, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
Amaya bros show off their CGC Gambit collection.

https://youtu.be/jP3lx6jKpMI

Is there a thread for us all to show off our Gambit collection?  :P

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #505 on: August 05, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »

Yep, all of them. Overrated.

Social media gave fans a means to express their opinions directly to the writers I guess. It's not uncommon to see writers being unfairly rude to fans like they're not entitled to have their own opinion.

Oh God, modern writers are thin skinned narcissists who are incapable of taking criticism. Rick Remender or Mark Waid spring immediately to mind.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #506 on: August 06, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »

Is there a thread for us all to show off our Gambit collection?  :P

Could be. We got enough interest?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #507 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
I read only digitally but would love to see your collections. It is always fun.

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #508 on: August 06, 2020, 04:09:38 PM »

Could be. We got enough interest?

Not sure I have anything to share...

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #509 on: August 06, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Holy s*** dude, that's a Gambit shrine!  :gambit: