Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95758 times)

Offline Rakkner

• Journeyman
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #630 on: December 11, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
No X news at all for the Disney presentation. But a lot of Star Wars and MCU.

It would make sense they save the X-news for the presentation next year as their big mic drop then.  If their is a Gambit series, maybe it’ll be release late 2022?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #631 on: December 11, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
If Gambit is really in development then fall 2023 is the earliest possible release:( Too many shows already got announced.
I think we won't get it till 2024 but would loooove to be wrong.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #632 on: December 12, 2020, 05:30:25 PM »
Some of the confirmed projects are set to be release in 2022, thus no X-Men before that, sadly.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #633 on: December 13, 2020, 12:54:32 AM »
Disappointing, but not surprising...

On another topic, someone on reddit made a gambit filter for Instagram. I don’t really know the details of how these things work (or the likelihood of viruses involved) so I’m just posting the link to the reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/kbs81y/instagram_now_have_a_xmens_gambit_inspired_filter/

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #634 on: December 13, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
On another topic, someone on reddit made a gambit filter for Instagram. I don’t really know the details of how these things work (or the likelihood of viruses involved) so I’m just posting the link to the reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/kbs81y/instagram_now_have_a_xmens_gambit_inspired_filter/

Cool filter!

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #635 on: December 14, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
I did think it was cool looking, but I don’t know how to tell if it’s safe or not. :)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #636 on: December 15, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »
It's fine, it's just a filter.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #637 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:40 AM »
Yeah it definitely sucks that there is no new X-news for the MCU. But at the same time, this means that they must really be taking their time to think about how they will be introduced. I think they realize how high the stakes/expectations are here. The X-men are so huge that even people who don't read comic books knew who they were before their movies. The only other Marvel franchise which I would say has similar brand recognition is Spider-Man. I really can't wait to see what they have in store.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #638 on: December 17, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
Yeah it definitely sucks that there is no new X-news for the MCU. But at the same time, this means that they must really be taking their time to think about how they will be introduced. I think they realize how high the stakes/expectations are here. The X-men are so huge that even people who don't read comic books knew who they were before their movies. The only other Marvel franchise which I would say has similar brand recognition is Spider-Man. I really can't wait to see what they have in store.

I think that's it. Disney/Marvel know the gravy train is coming to a halt. Sorry, but, Iron Man and Cap are gone, Thor won't be around much longer, they'll get a one-off Black Widow, Boseman's tragic/unexpected passing leaves Black Panther dead in the water, Sony could yank Spider-man at any time, Captain Marvel is NOT popular/marketable and lets face it....these titles coming out are equally as undesirable except to Marvel cinematic fanboys. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals do not move the needle the way Iron Man or Captain America do. And the sequels (AntMan 3, CM 2, Gurdians 3, etc.) will gain less on returns and will be less well received as they're not building to another huge event.

They have two big arms yet played, Fantastic Four (which I've no doubt Marvel will do well, but the previous 3 stinkers are still in memory) and X-Men. I think Disney will phase FF into the current lineup, but will sit on and hold out on X-Men until the Marvel train is really grinding, then, introduce them to really inject some juice/enthusiasm into the franchise(s). This works well as it'll distance from the 20th Century Fox versions, it'll starve the audience some to build hype, and give length of years to highly anticipated sequels, as well as endless new characters to introduce. We all wanted WOlverine's claws across Cap's shield, or Hulk vs Logan, or Gambit flirting with BW, but, sadly, that'll never happen.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #639 on: December 17, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »

I think that's it. Disney/Marvel know the gravy train is coming to a halt. Sorry, but, Iron Man and Cap are gone, Thor won't be around much longer, they'll get a one-off Black Widow, Boseman's tragic/unexpected passing leaves Black Panther dead in the water, Sony could yank Spider-man at any time, Captain Marvel is NOT popular/marketable and lets face it....these titles coming out are equally as undesirable except to Marvel cinematic fanboys. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals do not move the needle the way Iron Man or Captain America do. And the sequels (AntMan 3, CM 2, Gurdians 3, etc.) will gain less on returns and will be less well received as they're not building to another huge event.
I agree that they are biding their time with the X-men because they know how well-liked they are. But I wouldn't be so quick to write off Captain Marvel and especially not Black Panther. Both movies were hugely successful both critically and commercially and have their own fans. I see no reason to assume CM2 won't do well. And while T'Challa was undoubtedly the star, BP was very much an ensemble movie with many strong characters that people loved. I see Shuri taking the helm because people really liked her, but who knows?

Also, we have to remember that Disney/Marvel Studios MADE Captain America and Iron Man what they were. These weren't even characters that the general public particularly cared about before the MCU. They can easily do it with other characters.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:18:19 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #640 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
Also, we have to remember that Disney/Marvel Studios MADE Captain America and Iron Man what they were. These weren't even characters that the general public particularly cared about before the MCU. They can easily do it with other characters.

I completely agree with this.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #641 on: December 18, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
...the X-Men property is leaps and bounds above anything that we saw when the MCU first started. They don't need to make them into anything. They just need to bring them to life and not screw it up. Most of the work is done. It has a built in fanbase that will crossover into the MCU faithful with ZERO friction.

The only thing that could derail it is how they interpret the lore and characters. I expect race/gender swaps and changes in various ages. Something tells me the X-Men may resemble something close to what we saw in Evolution with some tweaks. As long as it's mangled tastefully - I can live with it. They didn't exactly follow origins and characteristics of the Avengers and it worked out ok.

In the other news... Gambit is officially background art for Excalibur. That is all. Be well.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bigbarda

• Survivor
« Reply #642 on: December 19, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »
Feige made Starlord and the Guardians of the Galaxy an A-list franchise. I trust his overall judgement. His casting and long-term planning are excellent, although some of the directoral choices have been a little bland (see: Peyton Reed, Kenneth Brannagh, Boden and Fleck).

Thor and Hulk are also not going anywhere.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #643 on: December 20, 2020, 03:14:21 AM »
...the X-Men property is leaps and bounds above anything that we saw when the MCU first started. They don't need to make them into anything. They just need to bring them to life and not screw it up.
Oh, don't worry. No one is saying the MCU needs to "make" the X-Men. But I think they are spending a lot of time thinking about how to introduce them, how to maximize the storylines, etc. And that makes me happy.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #644 on: December 22, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Feige made Starlord and the Guardians of the Galaxy an A-list franchise. I trust his overall judgement. His casting and long-term planning are excellent, although some of the directoral choices have been a little bland (see: Peyton Reed, Kenneth Brannagh, Boden and Fleck).

Thor and Hulk are also not going anywhere.

Interesting... Are the Guardians A-list? Or they part of an overall A-list production? What I mean is - if there wasn't an MCU to prop them up by association and inclusion, would we have paid as much attention to the movies? To be honest, I think GotG1 was great. Very different and fun (though very Starjammer-esk) but I don't think the 2nd the movie would have been given as much leeway if it was part of the Marvel Studios machine.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony